Soft Surroundings Employee Reviews

Five years and still smiling
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaSeptember 13, 2018
I've been a part of the Soft Surroundings Store Management team for five years. I'm happy to say I'm still smiling and enjoying my job. Retail is ever changing and often challenging. I've seen this company face those opportunities head on with many successes. Soft Surroundings offers a valuable workplace culture, solid benefits, high merchandise discounts, executive direct support and the best customers in the industry!
Pros
Passionate purpose driven leaders.
Cons
Retail managment can be stressful at times.
Nice relaxing
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 12, 2018
The management is amazing but the work is a little slow . Great company to work for but not enough hours to live off of. You get good discounts on the products but as part time you don’t get any benefits
Pros
Discounts, great management
Cons
Hours
Very unstable job
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 27, 2018
I was very happy when I got this job and was until out of nowhere I got fired! I was a top performer from day one and was one of three employees who had perfect attendance. I guess this does not really carry any weight because I was called into the office for them to fire me because I hung up on a really out of control rude person. If you dont care if you are treated like this then this is the place for you.

SS should value their good employees more.
Cons
NO stability
Fun to work when corporate wasn't there
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WA 98004November 15, 2018
Most of the time, managing the shop was really easy and fun. We had great employees and the company itself wasn't focused on having pushy sales people. The issue was when corporate came with different ideas depending on who was there. Trying to set up the shop "per the plan" was like hitting a moving target since everyone had a different opinion and none of them were the same. Unfortunately they always made it seem like it whatever we tried to do was the WRONG WAY, and that it had to be their way (again this changed every time someone else from corporate came).
Pros
Good pay, great location, wonderful clients.
Cons
corporate visits
Excellent working environment, company culture and coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 8, 2018
Nice company to work for and lovely environment. Management is supportive. More space or better organization in the back room would make locating items for customer easier.
Pros
flexible working hours, discount
Cons
low pay
Productive and relaxed workplace
GRAPHIC DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 23, 2018
Nice quiet environment. It was productive but at times it was very slow. Time off was given when needed as long as deadlines were met. Everyone is very nice and welcoming, they were always more than willing to help out. Company held activities often and there was always food. Compensation needs to be better depending on experience. Management needs to help when and where they are needed.
Pros
benefits, work-life balance
Cons
drama
Started off good
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MONovember 7, 2018
I loved the job in the beginning. Everyone was nice and helpful. As time went on some started to show true colors. Some of the customers that call were just horrible. They were rude and incompetent. I absolutely hated the mid day shift I had. (longest shift ever) My supervisor was never at work and I didn't feel comfortable asking her for help. There are some good things about the place. Its paid training, full time and the company rewards you with food days and prizes. They also provide commission to permanent employees.
Pros
free food some days
Cons
short breaks, rude customers, horrible supervisors
Pleasurable work experience
P/T Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJanuary 31, 2018
Still employed part time. A pleasure to be at work every day. Enjoy working with customers, collaborating with staff, management. Very positive workplace culture. It is easy to be a self starter at Soft Surroundings, to follow through in helping customers find what they are looking for, be it, apparel, beauty, bedding, furniture, and on line orders. E Learning courses are excellent in helping associates to learn more about the Soft Surroundings culture. Highly recommend Soft Surroundings to anyone interested in developing strengths while having fun, in a highly productive work atmosphere.
Growing company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 4, 2018
Great company and culture. Company is growing quick! Hope to see culture and benefits stay as great as they are and have been.
As a manager you have to be able to adapt to constant change while the company grows.
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
Too much change in beauty department
Going down hill
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 2, 2018
Management is a mess since the new president has come on board. Lot's of meetings and busy work.

Enjoyed working with my coworkers. Everyone is very nice and helpful. I learned alot during my time with the company.
rep
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2018
good company to work for, relaxed environment. management is poor. schedule flexible, vacation time is poor. centrally located by highways. call center environment
Soft Surroundings is a great company to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSMarch 8, 2018
Soft Surroundings is a great company to work for. The Soft Surroundings workplace is pleasant and attractive. A typical day at work included some tasking, such as replenishing stock, but the most important duties were selling clothes, jewelry and accessories to women customers, and ringing up sales transactions on a computerized register. My Soft Surroundings manager was competent, well informed and kind. She was fair in her dealings with employees. Soft Surroundings provides a comfortable workplace culture with reasonable rules and regulations. Soft Surroundings attracts a strong clientele of good customers, and my interactions with the customers were the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Interactions with customers and creating wardrobes was fun.
Cons
Available hours in retail vary with the amount of traffic per season.
Great place if thats your thing
Packer,reciver,order puller,equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Mexico, MONovember 30, 2018
Awsome job learning opportunities nice people in offices and supervisors,things changed for the worst with new warehouse manager but overall the supervisors are awesome
Pros
Cool working enviornment
Cons
Immature people
Soft Surroundings
Customer Service Support Lead (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2018
"Soft" is a fast past environment with chances to earn commission. So employees are wonderful, But the managers and Supervisors do not allow for growth and the employees are underpaid.
Okay for first fashion job
Assistant Designer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 1, 2018
Definitely gives perspective on how the fashion industry works. Not all fun. Very Catty culture. I wish people would pay attention to how they treat others and understand that we all have lives outside of work. Not a place for me for sure.
Very Stressful work enviroment
anonymous (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJune 20, 2017
I would not recommend this place because they do not care about the employees, you are disposable regardless of how hard you work. Management shows favor to the employees that kiss you know what. They like to micromanage, what is suppose to be a fun environment is actually a very hostile, back biting situation. They say their is no competition among employees a flat out Lie! They will find any reason to try and discredit you so that they won't have to give you a decent raise. This was the most stressful place due to the unreasonable demands.
Pros
discount on clothes
Cons
Bad quality, management, lazy women
Wasnt too bad.
Puller (Former Employee) –  Mexico, MOAugust 1, 2018
Underpaid for the job, while mostly everyone else got paid more for doing far less work. If they made the pay a little more accommodating and able to live off of, I would still be there.
Pros
Sometimes free lunch.
Cons
Breaks too short, and workload too much for the pay.
A growing and good company
IT Support and Change Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 30, 2018
It's difficult to describe a "typical" day at Soft Surroundings because in IT, it was seldom typical. Constant growth and technology challenges kept it exciting and interesting.
work steady
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63132July 31, 2018
This place is a cool place to work with a grantee of 40hrs . You will learn to have soft skill while dealing with customers. The work environment is very diverse and accepting of all people.
Worked as a store manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 27, 2017
I would definitely not recommend this company they totally lie about everything they say they're going to do that for you as an employee or a member of management they totally micromanage making it very confusing for staff people not even wanting to show up for work because of the way they are treated and misled very hostile work environment as well we did not call it soft surroundings we called it hostile surroundings very miserable place to be lots of fighting cussing yelling on the floor it clearly was in there employee handbook book that this activity is not tolerated by this company however as a manager I would complain about this to corporate with no resolution not even able to write someone up for their behavior so this caused a very very hostile work environment for all terrible place to work find somewhere else was also told as a member of management thought I would not be working overtime because it's all about life balance that was a joke I would work 14 days straight without even a lunch break awful awful company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Soft Surroundings. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight