Sojourner Family Peace Center Employee Reviews

Shelter Advocate
Shelter Advocate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2019
Great environment to work in if you truly care for helping people. There are many instances where you can see your work paying off at this site. You have the opportunity to communicate with a vast variety of people.
Excellent stepping Stone
Youth Trauma Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 17, 2019
A graduate, such as myself was able to acquire the necessary skills and tools needed to jump-start my career in the Counseling field. You should definitely be a self-starter, who requires little supervision assistance, to adequately work for Sojourner. Wonderful people who have a passion to deliver a service to clients with empathy and care.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
leadership in management can be vague
Low pay stressful job
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 18, 2019
Management does not support employees. The talk about self-care but don't provide opportunities for it. Clients are allowed to go straight to the CEO to get their needs met.
Nice Place to work
Accounting Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2018
It is nice place to work, But I don't see that my career can grove with this company. Also I would like to have better salary. It is going very hard for me to leave this agency, but I would like to grove and have better pay
the job title was fine working with those in need of services
Shelter Advocate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 23, 2018
Interesting place to work in service to families by the diverse and serious nature of the job. Working with agencies and the government staff was productive.
Pros
night shift quiet call center hours
Cons
serious safety issues working with targeted population
Non-Profit
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 16, 2018
Its a challenging position that allows you to learn about advocating and case management. The position does not pay well and you will have a high case load
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Long hours, High case load, High staff turn over
I mostly liked working at Sojouner Family Peace Center. The company promoted self care and provided the employees with activites like yoga .
Domestic Violence Advocate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 12, 2018
A typical day at work involved working the night shift and taking law enforcement calls and calls from victims of domestic violence. This information was then entered into a data base.

I learned how domestic violence was affecting people in my community and also how frequent it was. I also learned ways my organization was helping these victims and the many programs they offered.

The management was supportive and fair. They consistently encouraged self care as a way to stay productive at work.

The workplace culture was different depending on what area you worked in. In the area I worked in which was the call center and the shelter, the culture was one of being able to work with victims of domestic violence with falling prey to vicarious traumatization.

The Hardest part of the job was working the night shift and sitting for much of the shift.

Helping the victims of domestic violence.
Pros
Learned a new skill: assessing victims of domestic violence
Cons
short breaks, night shift, sitting most of the night
Domestic Violence Agency
Family Advocacy and Support Services (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2015
My immediate director was a brilliant leader. A typical work day included staff meetings, grant reports and client services. The most challenging part of the position was trying to keep programming client centered.
Pros
Clients and Immediate Supervisor
Cons
Politics of DV work
wonderful organizational culture
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 5, 2015
Everyone in SFPC is so nice and care for each other, the culture of the organization is caring, encouraging and embracing. I love this place!