SolAero Technologies Corp Employee Reviews

Going to be sticking around for years to come! Happy employee!! :)
Operator III Lead (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 4, 2019
Overall, I'm very happy working at SolAero (formerly Emcore). It has had its ups and downs over the years but I think it's a good place to work.

The company culture is unmatched compared to some of the other manufacturing environments I have worked in. They offer free snacks, free gourmet coffee, and fun employee events. It can be a little stressful at times, but so can any work environment. Management is friendly and communicates with the employees well. Every month or so, they have "All Hands Meetings" with employees to communicate what changes are occurring in the company. They also have a landing page on company intranet that changes as needed to let you know of upcoming changes.

They also communicate various internal positions and promotions to allow you to grow within the organization. They are a very safety-oriented company as well, and I can tell they generally care for their employees. They also have a nice, approachable, and knowledgeable human resources staff, which is key.

The only downside is the location because it is a bit of a pain working so close to the airforce base, you do get some serious traffic in the morning and at 5pm when the base lets out. But, I recommend this workplace to my friends and family and I often do because there are employee referral bonuses!
Pros
Free coffee, Free Snacks, Nice Coworkers & Friendly Environment
Cons
by the Airforce base - so traffic can be frustrating
Exciting place to work with cool products.
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 20, 2018
SolAero makes multi-junction III-V solar PV cells and panels for the aerospace industry. SolAero has powered hundreds of satellites in orbit, and is the world leader in the field. Most NASA programs are powered by SolAero.

I've worked at SolAero as an engineer for 5 years and have been promoted twice. Pay is fair (especially considering the low cost of living in Albuquerque), and the benefits are great. The stress level is not low, but is typical for an aerospace company. I work about 45 hours per week.
Pros
Benefits, variety of interesting projects
Cons
Albuquerque is not for everyone.
Very Cool Science
Engineering Professional (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 20, 2018
SolAero is a great place to work! I am on the professional staff with an engineering degree and I would highly recommend the company to anyone looking to work on interesting science. The culture is changing in a positive direction. It’s a small company with only about 300 people across 4 shifts but you can tell the management really cares about their employees.
Pros
Interesting technology, good culture, small business
Cons
Work life balance can be difficult
Great Place to Work
Sr. Analyst, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 17, 2018
Great place to work! They are focused on advancement, education and trying to make sure the employees know they are appreciated. They maintain ethical actions and interactions.
Great product, but the worst company I have ever worked for.
Former SolAero Employee (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 20, 2018
If you have the right type of position, you can make a good salary. However, hourly positions are paid very low. It's a company where you do best if you are in the right circles. There is not a good work/life balance. It is a high stress environment with high expectations. They will get as much out of you as they can, for as low as they can. Layoffs are frequent. They have tried to improve morale over the last few years. Howevcer, it is not effective due to the root problem. Consistently poor management. Management is mostly inexperienced and does not support or enable their employees. In summary, this is the worst employer I've worked for so far in my career. It is a shame because there is so much potential. I do not recommend working here.
Pros
Good salary if you have the right position and play your cards right.
Cons
Very poor management, high stress, no work/life balance, constant worry of layoffs, lack of respect for employees, there are definite buddy systems in place that must be respected in order to do well or advance.
Production lacks proper training. Management is made up of a group of social buddies.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque New MexicoSeptember 6, 2018
Just Apply to another company. Management will not help you and the turn around is very high. Unhealthy work conditions. Supervisors need to be more responsible and in the fab. Some smoke multiple times an hour and expect production to miss breaks to make orders on time. No communication from Engineers.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Bad training, production workers miss breaks while supervisors smoke cigarettes all night, and leave to restaurants for dinner.
Stressful place to work. Doesn’t care for their employees.
Tech (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2018
This company doesn’t care for their employees or help them to advance within the company. Pay is horrible for the type of work that is being done. Very stressful and and constantly pushing to meet ontime delivery no matter what the cost of the employee. When the company makes a mistake, the employees pay for it. It’s always the employees fault no matter what.
Great workplace
Production I Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 6, 2018
Working with Solaero you will learn a lot. The team is very friendly as is more than happy to teach and help you. They make sure everything is simplified to the best they can explain.
Pros
Overtime
Not recommended
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 29, 2017
Too many changes to management and no advancement, numerous layoffs over the last 10 years. Managers get raises and bonuses in spite of losses. They don't set goals they only know how to assign tasks. Not a professional management team.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
management
Engineering Sweat Shop
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 5, 2017
Custom space PV panel sweat shop. Panel are custom built to customers specification by hand and documented on paper using process' unchanged since the 1960's.
Pros
Free Coffee!!
Cons
poor management, poor benefits, subject to the ups and downs of the aerospace industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolAero Technologies Corp. Our community is ready to answer.

SolAero Technologies Corp Reviews by Location