Solar Transport Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Enjoyed working for Solar Transportation; but needed a full-time, permanent position.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 6, 2018
Fast paced, competitive environment. I worked well with upper management and co-workers. Was a contract, temporary position through a staffing agency and I wanted a permanent position.
Great Company
N/A (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 6, 2018
Solar is a really good company to work for. They truly care about you and will support you. I hear people complain all the time and the truth is - it's not for everyone, but you get what you give. Their flexible when you need a day off for emergencies, plus you have fun.. They promote work place friendliness... Management wants to you speak with your co-workers, make friend, and feel like you're family. Most people that dislike Solar is because they weren't able to beat the system and get a free pay check or they were apart of "that" crowd... Every employer has one... that crowd that just sits and gossips, creating drama, and not doing their jobs... UGH. Go back to high-school. However, Solar is an amazing company and I would recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Understanding, Flexible, Kind
Cons
Every Employer has "that Crowd" don't get evolved.
Nice place to work but nights and weekends are not for everyone
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 24, 2018
Good company but recent lay offs in California due to contracts. I didn’t have ant complaints, they do t give the drives a hard time unless you are not following the rules. Hard to get terminated
Pros
Pay and hours
Cons
Weekends
Workday Hours Don't Make Sense/Cents
Driver Associate/Fuel Tanker Transporter (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 23, 2018
Workday Hours Don't Make Sense/Cents
No Holidays Time Off
No Over Time Incentives
There's no room for error when transporting and delivering refined petroleum products like gasoline, diesel, ethanol and jet fuel. It's a job that requires great energy, focus and the utmost attention to detail. Nothing less will do.
Pros
Quarterly Bonus, Employee Discounts
Cons
Management Training
work as driver
Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2018
Work was fairly easy. you need to be self -motivated to make a decent living. The faster you work the more loads you complete the more money you make.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 18, 2017
I have found Solar to be a good company. I feel appreciated by others and have great resources that are always available in operations, dispatch, or even the recruiters. So far I am enjoying my time with Solar.
Pros
Home every day, feel appreciated and respected
Cons
None come to mind right now
Transportation
Operations (Former Employee) –  Corporate OfficeOctober 16, 2017
Working with drivers in the fuel transportation industry servicing convenience stores in 17 states. You need to multi task, answer and return phone calls, can be busy.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 15, 2017
Was kind of mislead on the pay. Also it seemed like the more you tried to help the company. They tried to keep you at bay. There advancement program was you had to sacrifice your self esteem to get a better position. There loyalty to the employee was far beneath the loyalty that they expected from the employee.
Pros
Fairly a good job at frist with opportunities avialable.
Cons
Really did'nt care about employee loyalty.
Safety First Culture
Employee (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 5, 2017
Company cares about safety and willing to address issues. It is a fast pace company. Management is available to employees, truly cares about the employees and returns calls.
Solar Transportation
Bulk Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 16, 2017
Delivery of fuel to gas stations
Documentation of deliveries, work logs and faxing of info at end of shifts.
Poor work hours and days, unless prefer working 3rd shift and weekends
Good vacation time and benefits
Unfortunately, very unimpressive management
Horrible Standards - welcome to slavery!
Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 22, 2017
This is what you can expect ... 12 to 14 hour work days, high pressure to finish constant loads (and always perfectly). Mistakes and faulty equipment are your fault. Management and staff will enjoy setting you up for failure. Your wages will be cheated, accuracy on their part, is not expected like it is for you. You have no time for lunch or will you be compensated for it, and funny thing, you have to buy lunch from the company store. This is a billion dollar business, and they will chew you up and spit YOU out!
Pros
slavery
Cons
slavery
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2016
I'm a former driver , I have nothing bad to say about Solar, I had only 80.00 dollars on me and I had to drive to Iowa for orientation & instead of waiting for my check, they paid me for everything, the next day, you don't find that anymore again kudos to the company.
Pros
No pressure
Cons
Wasn't there long enough
I enjoy driving for Solar Transport.
Bulk Petroleum Delivery Representative (Current Employee) –  Loveland, CONovember 18, 2016
I usually work about ten hours a day, 50 a week. 5 day work weeks, nights by choice bc the money is better and less stress. However you can go days once youve hit seniority. I do about 3-4 stops a day. The equipment is ok, ive had a few breakdowns in a year. Management is good, they stay off your back, and dispatch is ok they will work with you, and its NOT forced dispatch which is nice.
Pros
relaxed dispatch and management, flexible schedule and time off
Cons
Load pay is a little lower than industry avg
Professional and Understanding
Fuel Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 13, 2016
Sure there are good and bad things about this job. You have good days and you have bad days, and so does the dispatcher. The plain fact of the matter is that I consistently have more good then bad days. Management listens and tries to accommodate you as a driver. Mostly steady work. I can pay all my bills and plan for the future. What more could I ask? Management is very understanding and is very fair especially when you make a mistake. Better then average benefits: health, dental, vision, life, std, ltd, 401k, CC, HSA, FSA etc etc etc
Pros
Money, Treatment, Management
Cons
Training, Allocations, Communication
Branch (Denver) closed
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80239March 11, 2016
I went through a long hiring process, won the job and within two (2) months the Branch closed. Couldn't believe it. What a horror story.
driver
driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 22, 2015
Great company with great benefits and pay. Dispatchers do good work, know all drivers by name. Been driving awhile now,and No complaints here!
Pros
Pay, benefits, culture
Flexable hours with decent benefits and pay
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2015
My typical day is to work in weekly driver payroll, answer incoming phone calls and emails.

I also help out in other areas is I have time available.
Takes Care of Employees
Driver (Current Employee) –  IndySeptember 2, 2015
It is nice working for a company where you are appreciated. I think it helps that is is family owned. They are very straightforward in the hiring process, which is appreciated in this industry. You don't feel like just another number. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a job in transportation. Also, being home daily is definitely a bonus.
Pros
Communication, Benefits, Genuine, Honest, Trustworthy
Home daily
Hazmat Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 8, 2015
Hauled gasoline to mostly local stations. Hauled gasoline for 3 years. steady work when others were complaining about not having enough loads.
great company to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 5, 2014
Company takes care of you but pay is terrible u can make more driving forklift