Solar Turbines Employee Reviews

It is ok to work, lack of career future
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2018
It is too relax company to work. It is very security company. It is slow processing service when you request something. The HR service is online and hour service is on central time.
General Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
solar turbines is a great company, good benefits with paid time off. Safety and quality is a big part of the company and is something that i have now adopted in my normal every day life.
Pleasant short time here
Gas Compressor Rotordynamic Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Kearny Mesa, CASeptember 18, 2018
My internship lasted only 3 months but I can say that the people here are very friendly and considerate. Everyone has their own space and often keep to themselves. My biggest complaint is that they don't give me enough work at times, and then periodically give a lot of work. Pay was great for an intern, although nobody is automatically given a job just because you interned.
Pros
Pay, Nice facility, generally nice people
Cons
Fluctuating work loads, No automatic promotion
Lots of room for growth
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2018
room for growth, great culture, excellent benefits package. tuition reimbursement available, opportunity to cross train, office closes for all major holidays
It was a stressful place
Waste Management (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 1, 2018
I was a pretty good place to work. But not enough money. To live off of. It’s a very stressful place to work. And it wasn’t enough hours for me. If they paid more it would have been better
Great work environment with great people
Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2018
A typical day is going to my daily meeting regarding project work, work in the queue, server builds and other topics that are necessary to address. Then it' s back to my desk where I address emails, incidences, tasks and working with other teammates as needed. It's important that I manage my time with doing the task(s) that take priority, which can be challenging especially when dealing with a customer based type of environment because in the customers eyes, they are priority. The most difficult part of this job is trying to satisfy everyone with the time that you have,which can take more than 8 hours in some cases. The most enjoyable part of the job is being challenged most of the time.
Great company with great people
Machinery Management Fleet Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2018
I've been with Solar for 10 years and it's always been a great place to work. I've been treated well and taken care of time and time again. They really care about us and our families.
Excellent engineering company
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2018
Solar Turbines is a great place to work. They offer plenty of advancement opportunity, good benefits package, fair compensation, interesting work, time off, and a wonderful employee culture with good values. Highly recommend this company.
Great place to work with a very relaxed environment and co-workers
Senior Instrumentation Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2018
Great company when supporting research and development efforts, while it lasts. Long live the memories of dept. 205 !!!

Solar has always been feast or famine when it comes to work load/life. Hire a bunch one day, layoff a bunch the next. My direct management was stellar. The management above that individual... not so much.

The work... technically, it was leading edge without a doubt. The materials science aspect alone was worth my short stint there. Probably the most fun, relaxed and technically savvy job I could manage right after graduating. Loved the people and the atmosphere even though the "Union" side of the business was the Achilles heel of the day to day operations. Really, I could have completed much more in the time I had vice that of waiting for them to show up to see if they 'wanted' the job they were called in for to do.
Pros
Great location(s) to work and cutting edge research and development (while it lasted; RIP dept 205)
Cons
Union environment was the largest inefficiency of the operations day to day
Good for a while
Structures Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2018
Be good, don't be too good. It's a good place to learn as long as you can grow. Everyone is so worried about moving up the ladder, they don't learn their jobs.
Pros
good working people
Cons
poor management

Want to know more about Solar Turbines?

Ask a question
productive and has great opportunities for advancement
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJuly 7, 2018
Great work environment, Great people to work around, Family atmosphere, Company outings, they are willing to help and teach you the right way in order to advance in the company
Pros
willing to help as much as possiable
Cons
pay could be better but I was a temp.
Flexible Work Environment
SERVICE PARTS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 25, 2018
Solar Turbines allows the opportunity for personal growth. The team members work collectively to meet departmental, and organizational goals. Great place to work as stepping stone to next level.
Pros
Team member competence
Cons
There are zero benefits for temporary workers
After 30 years of Service
Environmental Health and Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJune 21, 2018
I started with Solar Turbines setting up their Warehouse, during the period working there I setup Inventory and managed shipping & receiving. I later moved to Procurement ordering for projects, then returned to logistics and last Environmental Health & Safety.

I held many hats, gone through extensive training and seminars during my employment.

I clearly understand management decisions where reduction in force is required to maintain the business and reduce cost during undetermined times.

My hopes are things will return to an acceptable level of business and the facility that has helped many employees in the Houston and surrounding areas improve their quality of life being employed.
Pros
Great place to work... Yet challanges kept us movomg forward
Cons
There was inconstinance events, Not all managers were on the same page.
Stay away from O&M work with them!
O&M Technician (Former Employee) –  New Milford, CTJune 16, 2018
As a former employee in the O&M field in New Milford,I can attest that the job experience is completely different in the O&M field than it is anywhere else in the company. The feeling of detachment and separation from the main company is just one of the minor side effects. Management is very poor and does not support their O&M employees. When management does come, they make promises of support but never follow through on those promises. There is also a large employee turnover rate in this field, and that is mostly due to the said management. The good(?) part about the understaffing is that you can make a ton of money despite the lowball salary range they offer. The bad part is that you will practically be living there and it WILL burn you out over time. Management, in typical fashion, does not choose to recognize their deficiencies and prefers to point blame for mistakes made on the operators, despite them being worked into the ground
Pros
Lots of money to be made, decent benefits
Cons
Management, understaffing, rotating shifts, site atmosphere
good job
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 13, 2018
fun place to work gym on site, cafeteria on site a lot of different options for advancement. flexible hours and company discounts along with tuition reimbursement.
Pros
alot of oppertunities
Up to date software
Senior Electrical/Instrument Designer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2018
Solar Turbines gave me an opportunity to improve my 3D design skills. My Lead E/I Designer was knowledgeable about 3D software and where to obtain reference documents.
Solar Turbines
Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 11, 2018
A typical day at Solar Turbines consisted of the study and development of engineering design of turbine power plants. The skills gained spanned from the use of CADD systems to the design of compressor section turbine blades, including continuous improvement. The workplace culture was relaxed and focused. The challenge of meeting the end of the year production runs was a great way to build our team spirit towards a common goal.
Great work environment
Manufacturing Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Harbor Drive, San DiegoApril 24, 2018
I loved Solar Turbines as a whole but did not really enjoy being a manufacturing engineer intern. It seemed they were too busy to take the time to teach me.
productive, on the job education, team environment.
Operation and Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2018
excellent place of employment. on the job and off the job education is available. communication between departments and management was exceptional. comfortable work environment with people on many levels working together for the same goal.
Pros
pay, benefits, team environment
Cons
work many hours.
Free ping pong
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2018
Loved working at Solar Turbines! Held many different job titles and each was challenging and very rewarding. All the people I worked with loved being there! Learned all kinds of interesting things about turbine engines!!
Pros
Very nice people and healthy culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solar Turbines. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight