Solar Turbines Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with caring management
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 25, 2018
I am a girl and was 18 when I worked there. The environment is very friendly and most of the guys were very nice and seemed to care about my future and safety. There were little to none rude people, but they were openly mean to everyone so they are just ignored. Some supervisors are more lenient than others, but they still make sure you get your job done. Some of the employees are lazy because they have been there so long and they can't be fired, so a lot of the weight fell on my shoulders. I enjoyed doing manual labor, and everyday went by quickly as long as I was doing my job right. The hardest part of the job was the schedule, since I am a full-time student and I was working full-time, too. But other than that, job is manageable if you follow the safety protocols and ask your coworkers if you need help. They are happy to help you succeed.
Overall, it's a pretty good place to work. If something doesn't feel right, talk to a more experienced coworker or a supervisor and they'll gladly help you out. Never felt unsafe or judged too harshly, everyone is extremely nice.
Pros
hours, pay, workplace culture
Cons
lazy workers
The Start of my Controls Career
Control Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2018
I cannot say enough nice things about working for Solar. The pay could have been a little better but ultimately, Solar made my career in Controls Engineering Happen. The culture is great for a big company, and you really get the sense that everyone wants to see the company succeed together.
Pros
Great People. Good work/life balance. Decent Benefits.
Cons
Can be a bit bureaucratic at times like any larger company.
Nice place, management lacking
MIS (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2018
It was a good place, but management lacked presence and was not helpful. The culture at the place was good but systematically the place is a mess, locations all over the place and there is no real connection between them.
Great company with a lot of opportunity for growth
ENTERPRISE BUSINESS PROCESS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2018
Excellent company, I can't think of anything bad to say. The management and staff are enjoyable to work with and work for. There's much room for growth and opportunities within and also ways to improve your skills.
Great place to work.
Senior Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2018
Always busy. Never bored. You really get to see the fruits of your labor. Onsite cafeteria with good food and priced right. The people all work together towards the common goal.
Pros
Great people. Great location. Great benefits.
Cons
Van be Very Fast Paced at times.
Best job so far
Technical Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2018
Dedicated my life for a long term service. Solar encouraged my good work ethics, and all about putting enthusiasm and passion for quality, hands-on workmanship into a team effort. My exposure in many fields with in this company have allowed me to adapt each of my skills to various positions I have held. Building on the experiences from one and the skills learned from another.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Mentors needed
It is ok to work, lack of career future
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2018
It is too relax company to work. It is very security company. It is slow processing service when you request something. The HR service is online and hour service is on central time.
General Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
solar turbines is a great company, good benefits with paid time off. Safety and quality is a big part of the company and is something that i have now adopted in my normal every day life.
Pleasant short time here
Gas Compressor Rotordynamic Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Kearny Mesa, CASeptember 18, 2018
My internship lasted only 3 months but I can say that the people here are very friendly and considerate. Everyone has their own space and often keep to themselves. My biggest complaint is that they don't give me enough work at times, and then periodically give a lot of work. Pay was great for an intern, although nobody is automatically given a job just because you interned.
Pros
Pay, Nice facility, generally nice people
Cons
Fluctuating work loads, No automatic promotion
Lots of room for growth
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2018
room for growth, great culture, excellent benefits package. tuition reimbursement available, opportunity to cross train, office closes for all major holidays
It was a stressful place
Waste Management (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 1, 2018
I was a pretty good place to work. But not enough money. To live off of. It’s a very stressful place to work. And it wasn’t enough hours for me. If they paid more it would have been better
Great work environment with great people
Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2018
A typical day is going to my daily meeting regarding project work, work in the queue, server builds and other topics that are necessary to address. Then it' s back to my desk where I address emails, incidences, tasks and working with other teammates as needed. It's important that I manage my time with doing the task(s) that take priority, which can be challenging especially when dealing with a customer based type of environment because in the customers eyes, they are priority. The most difficult part of this job is trying to satisfy everyone with the time that you have,which can take more than 8 hours in some cases. The most enjoyable part of the job is being challenged most of the time.
Great company with great people
Machinery Management Fleet Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2018
I've been with Solar for 10 years and it's always been a great place to work. I've been treated well and taken care of time and time again. They really care about us and our families.
Excellent engineering company
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2018
Solar Turbines is a great place to work. They offer plenty of advancement opportunity, good benefits package, fair compensation, interesting work, time off, and a wonderful employee culture with good values. Highly recommend this company.
Great place to work with a very relaxed environment and co-workers
Senior Instrumentation Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2018
Great company when supporting research and development efforts, while it lasts. Long live the memories of dept. 205 !!!

Solar has always been feast or famine when it comes to work load/life. Hire a bunch one day, layoff a bunch the next. My direct management was stellar. The management above that individual... not so much.

The work... technically, it was leading edge without a doubt. The materials science aspect alone was worth my short stint there. Probably the most fun, relaxed and technically savvy job I could manage right after graduating. Loved the people and the atmosphere even though the "Union" side of the business was the Achilles heel of the day to day operations. Really, I could have completed much more in the time I had vice that of waiting for them to show up to see if they 'wanted' the job they were called in for to do.
Pros
Great location(s) to work and cutting edge research and development (while it lasted; RIP dept 205)
Cons
Union environment was the largest inefficiency of the operations day to day
Good for a while
Structures Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2018
Be good, don't be too good. It's a good place to learn as long as you can grow. Everyone is so worried about moving up the ladder, they don't learn their jobs.
Pros
good working people
Cons
poor management
productive and has great opportunities for advancement
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJuly 7, 2018
Great work environment, Great people to work around, Family atmosphere, Company outings, they are willing to help and teach you the right way in order to advance in the company
Pros
willing to help as much as possiable
Cons
pay could be better but I was a temp.
Flexible Work Environment
SERVICE PARTS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 25, 2018
Solar Turbines allows the opportunity for personal growth. The team members work collectively to meet departmental, and organizational goals. Great place to work as stepping stone to next level.
Pros
Team member competence
Cons
There are zero benefits for temporary workers
After 30 years of Service
Environmental Health and Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJune 21, 2018
I started with Solar Turbines setting up their Warehouse, during the period working there I setup Inventory and managed shipping & receiving. I later moved to Procurement ordering for projects, then returned to logistics and last Environmental Health & Safety.

I held many hats, gone through extensive training and seminars during my employment.

I clearly understand management decisions where reduction in force is required to maintain the business and reduce cost during undetermined times.

My hopes are things will return to an acceptable level of business and the facility that has helped many employees in the Houston and surrounding areas improve their quality of life being employed.
Pros
Great place to work... Yet challanges kept us movomg forward
Cons
There was inconstinance events, Not all managers were on the same page.
Stay away from O&M work with them!
O&M Technician (Former Employee) –  New Milford, CTJune 16, 2018
As a former employee in the O&M field in New Milford,I can attest that the job experience is completely different in the O&M field than it is anywhere else in the company. The feeling of detachment and separation from the main company is just one of the minor side effects. Management is very poor and does not support their O&M employees. When management does come, they make promises of support but never follow through on those promises. There is also a large employee turnover rate in this field, and that is mostly due to the said management. The good(?) part about the understaffing is that you can make a ton of money despite the lowball salary range they offer. The bad part is that you will practically be living there and it WILL burn you out over time. Management, in typical fashion, does not choose to recognize their deficiencies and prefers to point blame for mistakes made on the operators, despite them being worked into the ground
Pros
Lots of money to be made, decent benefits
Cons
Management, understaffing, rotating shifts, site atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solar Turbines. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight