Solarity Credit Union

Solarity Credit Union Employee Reviews

A credit union in change
Very tightly managed. ambitious and competitive place to work. They are in a major digital transformation and well on their way to becoming an internet financial institution. This is not your typical traditional credit union.
Pros
they entertain new ideas constantly
Cons
very close management
Great Culture & Great Co-workers!
Wow! I have been blown away by the culture at Solarity! The ability to be member and employee focused is a balance that can be difficult to achieve, but they have done it! Solarity encourages employees to go above and beyond for members and coworkers, this starts at the highest levels of the organization. Recognition happens daily as the entire organization is encouraged to recognize coworkers who provide extraordinary service to the members and to each other. Solarity promotes from within and encourages employees who have interest in different areas to pursue those areas on the clock, even if they have never worked in that department before. They put together development plans for interested employees that create paths for advancement and continued learning. Solarity is clearly never satisfied, as the leadership is always trying new ideas and researching “what’s next”. Whether it’s creating an “Engagement Center” for the members or building a gym in branch for the employee’s to use, Solarity is all about improving the lives it comes into contact with. If you are considering applying, do it, but know that they are picky, they only want the best cultural fit. They figure people can learn the nuts and bolts of credit union processes, but it’s hard to teach cultural fit.
Pros
Advancement Possibilities, Support for trying new carreer paths, benefits & compensation.
Great culture
Good company that cares for both employees and customers. Great benefits and opportunities for advancement. Company needs to improve on training.
Proud to be a Solarian!
Solarity offers so many ways to be involved in our community and organization. I have never seen an organization with more involved members of our community. I’m honored to be a part of such a giving organization that truly cares.

Solarity invests in the development of you. In just under two years I have gained more knowledge than I ever thought was possible in such a short time. They offer you the ability to grow and develop your skills and career.

At Solarity I have a sense of belonging, my job actual makes a difference to this organization. I’m empowered by my manager and co-workers to tackle new projects and challenging situations with ease.
Pros
Benefits, growth within the company, culture, locations, work flexibility.
Be a part of something great!
One thing that drew me to Solarity is that it is and has always been a top notch Financial Institution to work for. Everyone is so friendly, knowledgeable, kind and always willing to lend a helping hand when you need help or have a question. The sky is the limit when talking about growth and opportunity within the company. They have programs put in place such as job shadowing or mentoring to get you on the track of where you want to go. I am glad to be a part of Solarity!
Pros
Growth, Opportunity, Working Environment
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Positive and uplifting employer.
Solarity Credit Union is transparent in what they do in the community and for their members. We encourage our staff to get involved not only in our chosen community project but other areas of need as well. It's amazing how many different projects and hours staff are encouraged to get involved in. We don't only give money to projects, we get our hands dirty and dig in where needed.

The Administration is apparent that they're concerned with what the members and staffs needs and wants are. They're very innovative thinking and the success of the credit union shows for it.
Pros
Desired benefits.
A workplace and a career I can be passionate about!
I have been with Solarity for 8 years and I can honestly say, I have found my lifetime career. I worked for a bank for 6 years before moving to the Credit Union, and I had no idea how different the culture would be. Solarity is a place that truly cares about every single one of their members and every single one of their employees.

Solarity is so involved in the community, and I love that they let their employees take part in giving back. Each Friday we have the option to pay to wear jeans. The money raised is donated to our community partner - a local charitable organization. It is amazing to see what a difference we can make each year.

I started as a teller, and have since held several titles from back office to branch manager. I've had the opportunity to work with so many different people, travel for conferences and trainings, build relationships with members and coworkers, and get to have fun while I'm at it!

Solarity is a place that asks my opinion, lets me be creative, rewards me for a job well done, and makes me feel like family. I would never go anywhere else.
Pros
Great benefits, great managers, friendly coworkers, happy members
a very good place to work at with amazing people that help and respect you a lot
Member focused credit union that doesn't believe in the usual sales process of pushing products onto the members. I work here but I do have a loan with the credit union and my loan process was very smooth with no unnecessary products sold to me.
The best part of working here is the people you work with are friendly and appreciative of your work. They are resourceful and help you with having a smooth transition.

I am really intrigued by the idea of a 'Digital Credit Union' and they have great leadership which makes it really a exciting time to be part of this journey. People here think out of the box and would say to grab the opportunity to join if you get it.

The management is aware of the staffing and they are working towards increasing the efficiency and reducing pain-points constantly for the employees and members. There is a new process improvement department established serving this very purpose!
Pros
people, work life, amenities
Cons
healthcare (not for single employees but expensive for a large families)
All about money
The benefits are the only good thing. You are not compensated for your knowledge and/or education. Entry level employees can easily make the same wage as someone with their Master's degree. The management team is horrible. If you are not an employee who "makes money" for the credit union your concerns are not recognized. Favoritism is trait in this place. If management focused more on employee concerns than what their favorite employees had to say there may be a chance to make the working environment a place people want to be. Questions are disregarded. If you ask questions you are being inefficient so don't expect to learn anything if you get hired here. You'll likely get fired for asking questions and clarifying your understanding. Wouldn't recommend working in Mortgage or Loan Servicing; such poor internal surveys and high turnover. Poorly managed. The only place anyone appears to be happy is IT or Branch staff.
Benefits
Great Community Asset and Workplace
Very experienced Board of Directors and management team is focused on member satisfaction, organizational development, staff education, and financial strength. The Board, management, and staff have been able to generate growth in deposits and loans both organically and through well executed mergers. Solarity has all the features of "big city" credit unions while maintaining the friendly atmosphere of a small town institution. An exceptionally strong capital position provides optimum flexibility in strategic planning.
Pros
Action oriented, competitive environment
Cons
Sometimes difficult to travel to and from Yakima
Not a career, only a job.
I started out at Yakima Valley Credit Union as a teller. The first year was great. The company was very goal oriented and seemed to care about their members. Once it merged to Solarity Credit Union, the organization began to lose sight of their foundation and began to push ideals of a bank: sales, sales, and more sales. Sure, that was part of the job but it came to the point where we had to shove products and services on members when they didn't even need them. If you didn't, your quota was not met and you'd be fired. I also had a personal experience to where it ended up pretty ugly in the end. I had high hopes for growth within this company, but if they don't treat their employees better, they will just keep leaving. :)
Pros
Retirement plan
Cons
No short breaks only lunch breaks
Tremendous Growth Opportunities
This company has been on the cutting edge since I began working there in 2000. There have been new offices established, mergers, and aggressive expansion efforts going on that have made Solarity a major player in the industry. The executive team that they have in place here knows what needs to be done and most importantly executes on things they say they will do. During my years of being employed at Solarity they have given me the opportunity for person and professional growth. I would recommend anyone that is interested in coming to the Yakima area to seek employment with Solarity.
Pros
Growth opportunities, leadership, benefits
Employee-oriented workplace; creating futures for their employees
The management and executive team are great mentor's, always reaching out for a way to help their employee's grow to the next step. My co-workers support each learning opportunity that comes along and will reach out to individuals to help them better understand a situation, or take the time to reach out later to explain what happened and why it did. The most enjoyable part of my job is having a team, rather than a group of employees. It's great to walk into any branch and have a relationship with people there that share the commonality of loving an organization. I've learned a great amount of information on many areas in the time I've been with Solarity and look at nothing more than a great future. I've been backed by my management team on my goals and pushed with their help to exceed those and challenge myself to more.
High Turnover
The department I worked in had serious management problems, but when looking at the company as a whole these problems seem to be prevalent throughout. I have never been part of a culture and environment that is so abusive. This is demonstrated by their high turnover and unhappy, overworked employees. If you are looking into a job at Solarity, you may want to seriously rethink that decision.
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Not at all as they appear
This company does a lot of work to market and brand themselves as a great place.....DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!! One of their core values is doing more with less....that means constantly being understaffed and overworked. They try to project that they care and they are a great team environment....hogwash!!! They care....about keeping their chosen ones happy the heck with anyone else. They care....about being a high minded snotty organization. They care....about making money for the executive team and squeezing as much as they can out of those down the food chain. Their training is virtually non existent. Perhaps the worst thong is the culture.....they want everyone to believe it is great....it is if you like high school back biting gossip filled culture. This place sucks.
Pros
cant think of any
Cons
overworked and understaffed, dishonest, uncaring, two faced people.
Cutting edge credit union
I worked with Solarity briefly in a consultant capacity. The leadership of this organization is outstanding. The CEO as a forward-thinking, innovative leader who focuses on member experience and placing true leaders in positions of influence.
Pros
Leadership, innovation, advancement opportunities
work environment
Was so great to work for them when they were Yakima Valley Credit Union, now they are so sales hungry that they don't care about members anymore. We're told to "sell sell sell!" If you want to help members and work with them on a problem to resolve, they want you to tell them they can come all the way down to the branch, because we need to be taking calls quickly. Why do you think so many of the employees from before the merge quit. Very poor management. So many new hires would quit shortly after. They are smart in making it so unpleasant to work that you choose to quit, so they can hire a new person at a lower hourly wage.
Pros
My members
Cons
new management, not caring about members anymore
Enjoyable team to work with.
This job was great in the sense of learning opportunities and helpful resources. You are able to learn about so many different positions within this union. Management, loan officers and MSR IIIs are super friendly and helpful.
Pros
Learning abilities to help you grow within the union.
Cons
slower paced duties but sometimes over worked due to low staffing.
Require a lot, but don't give much back in return
Very stressful, short staffed, management doesn't support.
Some co-workers are very lazy and get away with it.

Hardest part of job not getting trained properly, but told to do the job anyway. Always changing jobs every week and hours that we work.
A good environment to work.
Solarity credit union is a good place to work because the management are very kind and helpful. If you have any questions they are willing to answer them for you.
Pros
Good people
Great place to bank, and a good job overall!
The Credit Union is a great place to bank and it was a great first job! They help out the members and their employees as much as they can. They have great services for everyone and awesome rates!
Pros
incentives!
Cons
breaks and sometimes very stressful do to the high volume of members and having a lot of work to do.