SolarWinds Employee Reviews

Turn & Burn
Senior Technical Trainer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 14, 2019
Management doesn't care about their employees, nor the customers. Only the bottom line. They're a finance company that just happens to sell software. If a quota is met, it's immediately changed so that the next time it is not. Support personnel are worked long hours and given little guidance save weekly critique of KB articles. Those who don't write articles are given poor marks. No 2 departments talk to one another, nor is there communication from anywhere above.
Pros
2 free lunches per wek
Cons
You'll hear nothing about how your work benefits the company
great company
Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2019
Solarwinds is a great company. they do alot for their employees. It is however a very fast paced company that constantly changes. the changes can sometimes be super abrupt and affect your paycheck.
Good company, bad management
Latin America Lead Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2018
Former employee here.

SolarWinds as a company really is a progressive forward thinking company in that they do try hard to treat their employees well and keep moral high. Thing is when you combine that with poor quality management all of a sudden that value the company tries to bring is deminished.

Benefits are decent. Pay could be more competetive. And days off and sick leave should be separated.

They have a management style that causes a pressure cooker effect in that eventually the pressure cooker pops and the rolving door starts to turn fast.

4 times I talked about moving to different departments and or being promoted every time my management knocked me down and forced more work on me. They care about metrics over quality even though numbers never tell the full story. If your not punctual you are in trouble a minute late and you risk getting written up.

They change into a do more with less mentality and that only accelerated the revolving door. Decreasing team sizes while loading more and more stress on the team members till they couldn’t take it anymore.

Cons out weigh the pros in my case and thus i was basically forced to leave the company. I had no other options to make things work.
Pros
Free lunches on certain days, benefits, and company sonpsored events
Cons
Everything else
It all seems great....
Inside Sales Representative / Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2018
In the beginning, SolarWinds seems to be a great place to work. Then you realize how much of a slave driver the company is. Management does not do any ongoing training with their employees. The turn over is the highest I have ever seen.
was not a fan
Regional Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2018
The company has a great product. But it is a pure pressure sale. You end up calling a prospect every day and offering them a lower price to buy now. Shortly the customer realizes they can get the 45%-50% discount any time. and that is that.
This is the worst place for Sales in Utah
Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTSeptember 12, 2018
Salary is $10k too low, Target is $20-30k too low. Quotas are not realistic. Out of 21 reps, only 2 have a shot at 100% this quarter. Gives you no desire to try harder because its so far out of realistic reach. Tenure is VERY short due to people leaving on their own after going through their training program and seeing the real light of what their future looks like. What they require of you of daily tasks requires TONS of on ramping and they dont give it to you. One month of a ramp and then slammed with a $300k quota for the quarter. If you have options, take it elsewhere. OMG
Progressive and great production for this job.
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  Camilla, GAAugust 12, 2018
I have no learning experience for this job but I am I quick learner and I would love to work with the solar company learning new things that comes with this job and never doubting myself of quitting or giving in on a job I am dedicated with working with .
Pros
Free snack and lunch
Cons
Shortbreaks .off rainy day
Inspiring place with a few nice perks
UI Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2018
I had the most fantastic internship here. It was a right place / right time situation in that I got to do important work on a brand news SaaS product. But nevertheless the people are top-of-their-game and many of them go out of their way to encourage the younger team members.

The Austin office is lovely, with the perk of lunches twice a week, which everyone attends with a smile.
Pros
Top people, happy culture (in engineering), lunches twice a week
Cons
Volatile (might just be the industry)
Always end of Q pressure
Manager, Sales Engineering (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTMay 22, 2018
Even at the beginning of the Quarter, we've got end of Q pressure :) Great job, always learning about all of IT and not just limited to one section of IT.
Good culture, great products, and great customer base.
Marketing Department (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2018
I worked at SolarWinds for almost three years. It is a sales based company, so you are encouraged to work fast and meet challenging deadlines. The culture encourages taking risks, however, assuring that failure is okay, so long as you fail fast and move forward.
Pros
Good culture with close-knit teams.
Cons
Management can at times get in its own way.
Would not recommend
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTMarch 20, 2018
Would not recommend SolarWinds. The clique culture and poor management along with the stress is not worth it. Management only cares about bottom line, you are nothing but a number.
Pros
Free food
Cons
poor management, stress, volatile.
Intense and rewarding career stepping stone
International Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2018
Working at SolarWinds is intense and fast-paced, but still can be fun. You are expected to move very quickly, be flexible with constant change, and teach yourself what you need to know. You can learn a lot in a short period of time. Expect a lot of reorgs and management changes in any given quarter.
Pros
fun culture, free lunches, creative teams, opportunity for travel and continued education
Cons
expectation of working late/coming in early, lots of management changes, sink or swim attitude from leadership
This was strictly an inside sales position
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Post Falls, IDMarch 5, 2018
There were very strict guidelines on daily quotas which were sometimes unreasonable.

They were very receptive to my ideas on how to alter techniques or processes during the sales cycle. Often times I would come up with ideas to shorten the sales cycle which I proved worked.

Once Trigeo was purchased by SolarWinds, they wanted me to move to Texas and be part of their telemarketing bull pen. I did not want to relocate to Texas from NJ so we agreed mutually to terminate my contract after working from home for a year.
Pros
All inside sales, no travel or trade shows to attend.
Cons
Strict daily, unrealistic goals needed to be met.
Na
Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTFebruary 28, 2018
NA I don't really care to do this, I didn't enjoy working for a company that dropped new products on the reps often, changed the way the structure and territories are laid out, and can't get high level personnel to relate to any employee
Workplace Culture
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 19, 2018
Was a nice place to work when it was LogicNow.
Lunch was provided on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Needed to focus on the customer experience towards the latter part of my stay there.
Review.
Contract - Paralegal for the GDPR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78735January 22, 2018
Need more work from home availability. Temp to hire was told 1 of the 2 hired this way would get to stay on permanently but this was not the case. There was an open position but neither of us was given it.
Stressfull Poorly Managed
Account Executive/Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTDecember 11, 2017
Solarwinds is a company with great potential if Management was able to properly train and develop their sales organization. Senior management from Director up are scrambling to hit impossible goals and they in turn put impossible pressure on their employees.

Your achievements are infrequently recognized with cheap gimmicks and you are constantly pressured no matter how well you are doing.
Fun place to work!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTDecember 11, 2017
The most enjoyable part of working at Solarwinds is the electric culture. My co-workers and administration make it enjoyable to show up to work every day!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
A work from home option
great company but some bad managers
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 7, 2017
the company overall is great and i enjoy the day to day work as well as my coworkers but my current manager is one of the worst i've ever had which has changed things drastically.
Pros
great company and coworkers
Cons
bag management
IT department and corporate atmosphere has become cut-throat & toxic
Lead Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
Prior to its privatization in 2016, it was a very relaxed work environment with trust between managers, leads, and subordinates.
Also, promises to employees seemed to be kept much more commonly.
Since the privatization, nothing promised by executive leadership or management was honored. New director in IT department has fostered an extremely toxic work environment by spreading distrust amongst managers and engineers and constant micro-management of menial tasks. The systems team under the new IT director lost more the 50% of its personnel in the first 2 months after the direct was placed in that position.
Pros
Free Lunch twice a week
Cons
Micros-managing supervisors, toxic untrusting environment, broken promises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarWinds. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at SolarWinds.

Powered by Comparably