SOLUTE Employee Reviews

Difficult, emotional CEO. Benefits ok.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 20, 2018
Very difficult to get along with CEO. If you work here, just keep your head down and do your job until you find something better. Don't expect support if you look to move up in the company unless you have a Program Manager looking out for you. Job security is non-existent. HR is non-existent. Don't get sick or you'll have to use your minimal PTO. Average turnover is one year.
Pros
Hours aren't bad. The Program Managers are good people.
Cons
The CEO, poor HR management, high turnover
Dont work here if you have ambitions and want strong leadership
Principal Systems Engineer / Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 29, 2018
I wanted to quit 2 months in because leadership does not have its employees backs. I would not recommend nor will I work there again. The CEO only cares about himself and will diminish all of your hard work and contributions.
Not my kind of place
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2018
Micromanagement at its worst. CEO tries to manage everything when he has little day in day out contact with teams; vindictive and disconnected.

They roll through people about once a year. There are very few employees that have more than a year logevity at the company.
Pros
Snacks
Cons
Backstabbing and lies in a very paranoid culture
A great place to work if you like taking on personal responsibilities and are looking for more lateral and vertical movement.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2018
I came to SOLUTE from a job where I manufactured medical goods to work in their Business Development department. Over the past few months I have expanded my role in the company and began the process of obtaining network certifications. SOLUTE has paid for my tests and classes despite me not having an IT background. I would recommend SOLUTE to anyone who wants to expand or further their career.
Poor work environment with little opportunity for advancement
Principal Software System Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lexington Park, MDMay 18, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of multiple meetings. I learned little there as there was very little training. Management was practically non-existent. I saw little of my director.
Pros
Basic salary
Cons
Poor benefits
Company growing exponentially with fun co-coworkers
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2017
Currently Solute has been growing exponentially with more hires for contracts, especially recent college graduates and those with a security clearance. Many, including myself, work on-site with Navy and other government personnel. From my experience when I worked at our corporate headquarters in the San Diego Mission Valley area, the workplace culture was enjoyable. The culture used to get a bad wrap for being stodgy with minimal young people. Now there's a good mix of fresh college graduates and more experienced co-workers. There's a virtual reality headset in the break room, along with an arcade machine for times when you need a break. The majority of co-workers are friendly who like to hang out after work at happy hour or at other activities such as bowling. Recently, the company was invited to private box seats at a Padres game on behalf of the CEO. This improvement in company culture has definitely helped me with productivity and communication among my peers.

Now let's talk about how the actual work is like in research and development. The best part of working for a medium-sized DoD contracting company is that you will be exposed to many technologies in a short time frame, given that you are a go-getter and that the company has the ability to move you to various contracts. So far I've been exposed to contracts involving networking, virtualization, devops methodologies, and big data analytics in just a year and a half. Given the nature of contract work, there may be situations where you will have to work on-site and integrate with an entirely new team. Adapting to a new
  more... set of team dynamics may be challenging for some, and I cannot say that all on-site people have been happy with the team or project they ended up with. It's important to convey this concern with upper management if this is the case. Needless to say, getting sent on-site is usually a positive transition, since most on-site folks have a proven track record of showcasing their abilities to work with government clients. Being a smaller company as opposed to a Fortune 500, it is easier to get your voice heard even at the executive level. At the end of the day, maintaining open communication among peers and management is the number one tool for forming a cohesive group.

Aside from occasions where one might be placed into a bad on-site team or project, I still recommend working at Solute for anyone (inexperienced or experienced) who is interested in helping a rapidly growing company build cutting edge technology for the DoD. Many managers care about professional growth, and it's not uncommon to be assigned a mentor if you are less experienced. All in all, a fun place to work with many opportunities to learn and contribute to the future technology of the DoD.
Pros
Professional growth and mentorship, fun co-workers, vast exposure to DoD technology
Cons
Benefits not that good but improving, may be difficult adapting to on-site work, must be patient when applying for a clearance
High Turnover
Integration Lead/ Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 4, 2017
A good place to be from but not going to... A very contract focused small business that is not of supportive of the workforce as many I know would have liked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOLUTE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4