Soma Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very happy to have worked for Soma
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 30, 2018
I learned a TON all the way around from my manager and assistant manager! I left feeling like a stronger more confident woman! The customers where amazing and overall I truly enjoyed my experiences with them as well. The only downside would have to be not being able to be full time.
Pros
Employee buy in and discount
Cons
Hours
Great overall company
Sales lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29206July 24, 2018
Great company to work for, except for the management in the particular store I worked in. The job and the company was great along with the learning experience and opportunity for advancement.
Not very great place to work unless it's a first time job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 20, 2018
Didn't like it. Would never work there again. The management cut hours with no warning. All of the training is online. Nobody really takes the time to train you outside of on the register and to do bra fits. You have to learn everything else on your own and through books. Nobody likes to put things back in there place. People act like because they are in a higjer position than you, that you have to so anything and everything that they tell you. Even if that means not finishing what you are in the middle of doing. If they don't approve of the way you are helping a customer, they will take over your sell and not give you credit for the sell.
poor communicatin withn team
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  the mall at robinsonJuly 17, 2018
Poor communication leads to double work/double time. team is not on the same page. Proper training is obsolete. Dress code is difficult to follow. Must purchase new wardrobe to abide by company standards.
Great place to work for beginners
Shipment (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 24, 2018
A great working evironment and helpful staff and managers. That help you out in and out of the store and my typical day at work is organizing the store and shipment and throwing away the trash out at the end of the day.
Pros
Good work Enviroment and awesome staff.
Cons
Low pay?
Working at Soma
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 24, 2018
Hourly rate plus commission. Sale bars and personal stuff for women. The hardest part of the job is no open door policy. Also notice the store prefer to have no people of color. I love helping women feel better about themselves.
Pros
no breaks unless asked
Cons
The customers
Great environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mall of AmericaJune 22, 2018
Soma is a great place to work. Everyone is upbeat and energetic. Training is too short. A person might have to just walk around and familiarize themselves with the store because there is limited staff to do the training. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people every day and helping them feel good about themselves.
Pros
Energetic
Cons
Having to train oneself
Great starter retail job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 25, 2018
This job required a little more attention to detail. Must be willing to help with bra sizing and being comfortable seeing women undressed. Also, requires good customer service.
Friendly environment
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOMay 22, 2018
Working for soma was fun. I have nothing to complain about besides the wages and benefits. EVERYONE is part time except the Store Manager and the Assistant Manager. Pay was minimal wage and when I did receive a raise it was 10% of what I currently made so little to nothing. If you pick up extra shifts be prepared to have your next working week shortened because you absolutely cannot work as much as the managers. You received 30% employee discounts (all depends on the sales) but no benefits. No health insurance, life, dental, eye, 401k, nothing. This is a job for teenagers even though they want you to be 18 to hire you. They are extremely flexible and friendly managers.
Pros
Flexible, friendly
Cons
Wages, no benefits
it was nice
Associate (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJMay 21, 2018
I generally had a good time dealing with customers but the associates I worked with changed pretty often. There were no full-time employees at the time I was working there aside from the manager and shifts were inconsistent. The discounts working there were good and generally the atmosphere working there was good.
Slow Work Pace during off season
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 20, 2018
Not bad all in all if used for a little bit of extra money. The discount applied to many different stores and was a good amount off. Even during the busy part of the year was still not too overwhelming.
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanuet, NYMay 3, 2018
I love the ladies that I work with. The environment is extremely friendly. I have learned how to fit our customers for the perfect bra, everybody works as a team to provide ours customers with the best experience.
Unfair hourly pay
Sales (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 15, 2018
The store has too many expectations.The pay for associates,is unfair. They do not offer any raises, but they can offer a higher hourly pay to a new employee, with no experience. Not sure why. The store is connected to Chico FAS, and they pay all the employees different. They expect you to hit your goal so you can bonus, but how do you bonus if your not given hours? Too many changes, and high expectations. It is a good place for retail for new associates wanting to get their foot in retail, but the pay and flexibility is not there. There are nice people that I work with, which makes it fun.
Pros
Great discount for all 3 stores
Cons
Pay, breaks, and incentives
great relaxed retail job
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJApril 15, 2018
it was relaxed yet competitive, management was excellent and hired also great people. It was always easy to understand what was expected. The only downside is when you get discrepancy with sales since the commission was based on sales.
Soma is a great place to work
Part Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 2, 2018
Great discounts/incentives when store and self goals are met. If there is not a position available for you to move up then a promotion is not likely. If a high position does become available they always look to promote a current employee first when it’s deserved/earned.
Cons
Stores are only allowed so many full time employees
The low pay is honestly a turn off
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Park, ILDecember 29, 2017
I originally loved working at Soma but the low wages but thE company needs to improve on how they pay their sales associates. They expect you to put in a lot of hours for all the work you do. Even if its retail people shouldn’t be getting paid this low. Even if you sell enough merchandise and “bonus” out its still just not worth it. I loved my managers but they have indeed been treating me differently since Ive voiced my opinions about getting another job and the hourly pay being so low.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay
Unstable job
Lead Solder Technician (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 21, 2017
Takes too many products on that they cannot complete do to issues with procedures. Unstable work have had lay offs after just hiring . New management needs to be inserted.
Beauty starts with underneath
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CANovember 2, 2017
Making women or even men feel good about themselves in the smallest way makes all the difference to them. All in all you learn alot about yourself and others.
Pros
very flexible with my school schedule
Cons
I didn't move up the "chain"
Horrible management, little hours, competitive micro managing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 8, 2017
management was very unprofessional, gave hours to favorites. Very unfair and constant retaliation which led to hours being cut. There was always constant gossiping and management was very two-faced. Commission was availiable but people get competitive and greedy so sales are constantly being stolen. The sales weren't genuine. Pushed anything and said anything to make goal. Micro managed constantly and always treated un fairly. Training is very poor. You get sent out on the sales floor to fend for your self with minimal bra training, Managers included.
Pros
Flexibility, commission
Cons
Short breaks
Do not work here
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 4, 2017
Was lied to in the interview process. I was told that with the commission you make, you can easily make an ext 2-3 dollars an hour. You'd be lucky to make even 50 cents. All commission is based on how much you do an hour and when they put you in the back to do stock of the store is dead, that number drops significantly. Everyone tries to take sales from underneath you, even the manager. Not worth the time or effort.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, terrible pay, hostile environment