Soma Employee Reviews for Retail Assistant Manager

Great people
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJanuary 25, 2019
This was a fun company to work for. The small intimate setting made it easy to engage with the customers. My roles and responsibilities were pretty straight forward and effortless.
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
No real chance for advancement or pay increase.
Summary
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXOctober 13, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Soma, it was challenging most days, there was little down time, the team worked well together, location was great as well.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Short breaks
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 23, 2018
For the most part when I first started at Soma I really enjoyed being there and then after awhile I was promoted to a management position and I still loved being there but eventually it started to become too much between management becoming a revolving door and management not upholding the integrity of being a manager. A lot of times I felt and was overworked and underpaid as a sales lead/manager.
Pros
Great customers!!!
Cons
Management and Salary!!!!
No leadership.. no back round checks expected to learn by trial and error. High turnover...
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 2, 2018
Terrible place to work. No management or leadership. Are forced to learn duties, procedures and tasks by trial and error rather than training. Unable to retain staff so operating store alone is fairly common and is completely unrealistic and unprofessional.
Expect also to be unable to take breaks despite hours worked due to no staff.
very inflexible with days or hours worked even with advanced notice.
Pay is poor despite responsibilities and tasks expected.
District Manager is a bully to management
Pros
Cons
Low pay, stress, poorly run and managed
Productive and fun workplace
Key Holder/ Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 7, 2018
I was really lucky to have great management and lots of opportunities to advance. I was given challenging but fun responsibilities that made work fun and interesting. The product is also great amazing.
Pros
Great product, great bonus system, fun workplace.
great work environment-bad pay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 9, 2018
The company isn't too bad to work for but paying an associate $9/ hour is nothing, especially when they are working 6-7 hours a day. The keyholders only get paid $10/ hour and it I don't think the company really values the employees because their pay isn't competitive.
Pros
mandatory lunch hour
Cons
gives no benefits at all and pay for associates is low
Overall Good
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 22, 2017
It is a good place to start out with and possibly move up if your wish to. I currently do not enjoy my location because of co-workers and lack of management.
Do not work here
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 4, 2017
Was lied to in the interview process. I was told that with the commission you make, you can easily make an ext 2-3 dollars an hour. You'd be lucky to make even 50 cents. All commission is based on how much you do an hour and when they put you in the back to do stock of the store is dead, that number drops significantly. Everyone tries to take sales from underneath you, even the manager. Not worth the time or effort.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, terrible pay, hostile environment
Soma
Sales Lead, Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 18, 2017
A great place to work. The management was awesome. She was willing to work with my schedule no matter what. I learned a lot from this job it is a great place to work and learn more.
Fun and always positive atmosphere
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 13, 2017
I love working at Soma..This location is at Cumberland mall but outside of the mall,which is a breeze cause we have a sense of privacy. Everyone gets along,management is great and will work around your everyday personal schedule to better accommodate you in anyway they can if possible..Great training and everyone is a team player
Pros
10min breaks, great scheduling, helpful resources in store, never feel alone
Cons
Pace is never the same
Mature Victoria secrets but with cute clothing still
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 19, 2017
Great place to work as an intro for clothing retail, first store manager I was under was great and got promoted, trained with her for a few months than got moved up to key holder and was ready to move up again but a year of trained and learning the 4 best customer service keys we cared and than switch to the pet industry.
Pros
Ahead of the clothing season
Cons
Management changes quick
Typical Retail Job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTJune 15, 2017
Soma is an O.K place to work and has the "typical" retail vibe. Long hours are a given; 7-8 hours on your feet, maybe more for management. The clients are mostly middle-age women and due to the nature of the job (i.e personal bras fits, high-functioning customer service, up-selling products), Soma employees are basically punching bags for the women who shop. Some women are extremely insecure about their bodies and I would have a client yell at me or leave in tears at least once a week, even though we go above and beyond for them in the fitting rooms. I would have left years ago if it weren't for the outstanding management team i had in the store I worked in. The best part of working at Soma were the relationships I formed with the clients and the fellow workers; the gratification of a job well done was always praised by customer and manager alike.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Retail Hours, Physically Demanding Job, Rude Clients
Good part time job
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 30, 2017
I would have to say Soma is a pretty go job to work for but the only thing is the pay isn't bad but not too good. Working with the public and having to see most of them topless you would think it would pay better.
Pros
Fun customer and employees
Cons
Needs to pay better
Grest5
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder / Stylist/Customer Rep (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 12, 2017
I would recommend this company to any of my friends and family it's a friendly place to work and I love helping people to fit into things then make them feel great
Very positive and energized environment
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 24, 2016
Love Soma...they actually give recognition when you've achieved a goal.The management team is awesome and full of vibrant spirits...30 min lunch breaks and 10min breaks if needed..they are awesome about working with an existing schedule if you have other things goin on
Pros
Scheduling is great, awesome team, fun work work space
Cons
Sales lead should get benefits and more pay
Fun place to work at
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 20, 2016
The Customers were the best part of my job at Soma. A typical day at Soma, if it wasn't slow, would be fun because the customers made the day go by faster by letting me connect with them and shop with them.
Profesional,classy, fun environment.
Shift Lead, Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 14, 2016
On a typical day at Soma we prepare our daily brief. We are a sales driven store so we try and service our customers to the best we can. We offer free fitting, and assistance on find what our customers are looking for.
Pros
Fun environment most of the time. Great Team!
Cons
Horrible pay and benefits.
Fun Company
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Retail was different for me and a lot of fun showing the customers the product and how wonderful it was.
worst place to work
Sales Lead/ Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 30, 2012
The DM with back stab you. You will be told one thing and given something else. You wont get hours!!! The pay sucks and no you wont get a raise!
Pros
none!!!
Cons
lied to, pay, the dm