Soma Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Soma
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJuly 14, 2019
Soma was a wonderful place to work. 1 on 1 interactions with customers, a clean environment and very open and friendly staff. Everything is wonderful except for the pay.
Loved working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARJuly 11, 2019
Absolutely LOVED working here. Years later, I still talk about working here. It was a great environment, provided room for advancement and showed a love for employees that was, and still is, unmatched by any other company that I have seen.
Where’s OSHA?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJune 27, 2019
Too catty to focus on business! A lot of workplace bullying, DM included. Never seen so much crying and anxiety in one place. A lot of shady business & lack of maturity. Micromanage is not even the word. There is no such thing as a work life balance & trying to get an education while working here is not welcome/desired. Breaks are nonexistent but are put in the system and covered up. HUGE turnover rate & growing! No room for growth and simply put why work for the devil that doesn’t even wear Prada; oh yeah it’s just Soma!
Pros
Get to work with nice customers mostly
Cons
Short breaks if any, no work life balance, poor management, doesn’t follow company policy
overall ok
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 7, 2019
its a nice company, but don't like that they will cut hours due to the overall sales for company. they will do that on a monthy basis which makes it difficult.
good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 15, 2019
Soma is a good place to work. Everyone is friendly and it feels good to be able to put a smile on customers faces.
The hardest part of the job was the pay.
Be ready to have a lot expected of you for no pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXApril 18, 2019
First things first, horrible work/life balance. You are expected to put the store first and do whatever you can for it. Which is NOT realistic for part time workers. If you are sick and need off, good luck. They’d have you come in while your on your death bed. Not sure if that’s due to the lack of employees or the lack of care for others personal lives. Management is kind but it’s all about the money. All about making goals and segments. You will not be paid well, if you like barely above minimum wage this is the place for you. With that being said you will be expected to be a devoted worker and care about the company. Maybe it would be easier to care about the bottom line and making money if I was making money. This store has always had issues with work life balance. Many are working to live. Not living to work.
Pros
Discount on merchandise.
Not a great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 10, 2019
The management sucked. It was a fun company to work with at first, but after 6 months I hated it. Manager told me I wasn't allowed to change my availability because she hired me based on it. Sorry I got a second job. There's no place for going up and the managers would gang up on one of the key holders and always say bad things and always stick her with the worst jobs and would never help. Very high school. Also Saturdays with certain managers was absolute he'll. She made me cry so many times. Wouldn't recommend.
Pros
Nice coworkers some of the time
Cons
Short breaks, pay sucked
Exhausting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 8, 2019
Working at soma was fun at first, after awhile of working there things just became exhausting. They expected you to do too much for such a little pay. Management, it was fine until things got a little sticky and managers decided to not listen to employees and became very passive with things. Training was definitely hard, had to catch on to a lot of things by myself. Wish it was more mentally challenging. Yet besides the terrible pay, bad training, and passive managers, working with the ladies there was amazing. Everyone is like one big family, that’s definitely something I’m going to miss. Would I suggest working here yes and no. If the pay was better and managers weren’t so passive with their words then yes hands down. This place and these ladies that work here really do help you grow as an individual. Bittersweet.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
It's alright for a retail position, but the drama is overwhelming
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 4, 2019
There's a lot of drama, gossip, and arguing. The drama isn't just between associates either. Leads and upper management do plenty of gossiping too. It can be a pain because sometimes you'll come into work and everyone is mad at each other for something, but eventually they will tell you why.

I think the drama gets old after a while, and that's why turnover isn't the greatest. It's not very fun having management that will gossip about you or your coworkers.

The one star rating is because of the drama. If there wasn't any drama, and people were better at communicating, this would be a really fun place to work. The job is super easy, the store isn't that busy, and most coworkers are fun to be with. Even the customers are fun to be around, and the discount is very nice.

An average shift is pretty smooth and goes quickly, unless there's drama unfolding. Then things can get pretty intense.
Pros
Easy, fun coworkers, good discount
Cons
Management, hostility, drama
Typical sales assoicate job, greeting, answering calls, cleaning, shippment, folding and floor-sets
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 28, 2019
Beginning of shift, touch base with manager on duty before entering floor about sale promotions, deals, specials and current team goals for the week.

start cleaning & organizing the signed area that you are in. greet customers and help assist them on what they are looking for and if they need a current fitting.

Offer to start them a fitting room if their hands are getting full or offer them a bag, so they can continue to shop comfortably.

Answer phone calls

Filling the floor when shipment has been procced.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
managers were stealing associate's sales
it was alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peachtree Corners, GAMarch 22, 2019
I honestly love the products that Soma sell. They give you a pretty good discount for when you want to buy things. It was a regular retail job. Nothing really different about it.
Super competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 20, 2019
I was incredibly unhappy at the store I worked at. I didn't get scheduled often, and the atmosphere was incredibly cut throat and competitive. The company itself is incredible, but the store I worked for didn't promote or support team work or set up their employees for success. I got text after I put in my notice that I'd single handedly ruined the entire organizational system of the store even though I'd only worked at 3 hour shift that week and didn't even do inventory. It was incredibly disappointing because I truly enjoy SOMA products and what the company itself stands for. The company itself encourages self love and loving yourself.
Pros
company mission
Cons
management
nice place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 7, 2019
Soma is a nice place to work as a side / second job. In the start of everything it will seem to be a lot to take in but after a while you'll get the hand of it.
Pros
Awesome manager, great team to work with.
Cons
slow days from time to time
Very productive and people are nice.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 26, 2019
A typical day I would greet customers, see what they are in the store looking for, bra measurements, cashier and inventory. I do enjoy the people I work with. Management are wonderful.
Pros
The people are great to work with.
Cons
need consistency in hours.
Supportive environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNFebruary 5, 2019
The women working here are supporting and caring for other staff members and for their clients. It is a good place to feel empowered and important. It is important to know that not everyone will be happy, but most will.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Commission is not great
Horrible Place To Work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ellenton, FLJanuary 13, 2019
It's A Drama Filled Environment And A Little Racist Towards Black Workers .. I Would Not Recommend This Job! They Are Horrible With Hours And The Store Manager Never Returns Calls, Emails Or Text Messages
Working in Murfreesboro Store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNDecember 29, 2018
Store was terrible. Management is awful. Not the GM, but the assistant and some others are terrible. Not put well together and will lie on you, and lie to you. Do not work with your hours then make it seem like you are a no call no show. This store is NOT put together and it’s such LOW pay. You get paid barely anything! Not even really enough to pay gas. Trash
Pros
Clocking Out
Cons
Pay, Management, People
Horrible all around
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GADecember 14, 2018
The pay is horrible, the commission is nothing, and you get pretty much zero for working holidays. The management is horrible and it just seems that Soma doesn't really know how to run a business. They don't take care of their employees at all and they're always pressuring us to buy things so we can make our days. Worst of all though is the cliques within the store with younger women. The sale leads are rude and act like they're better than everyone lower than them. Plan to find a new job asap.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Pay, cliques, poor management, short breaks
Fun work environment and family feel amongst coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 7, 2018
I absolutely love working here at Soma and Chicos FAS overall is a wonderful company. (I previously worked at White House Black Market so I am familiar with the company.) At my store location I have a great management team who are great leaders and want us to better ourselves in our work ethic. They care about us and we all get along so it's a great work environment. There are great flexible hours for part time associates which is great if you have a family.
Pros
Learn great sale and work skills, healthy work environment, great company.
Enjoyable work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILNovember 13, 2018
-The shifts are not long enough for sales associates (4 hours)
- The pay is very low, and promotion raise is also very low
- The boss was very easy to get along with, and customers were friendly
-The most enjoyable part was making women feel confident about themselves
- The worst part was CORSET
Pros
only two employees working at a time
Cons
low pay, no breaks, small store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Soma. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss