Soma Employee Reviews

Only good thing is employee discount
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXOctober 3, 2018
The only good thing is the discount. You can't make goals cause they are short staffed always are calling you in to cover shifts. Love the customers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Commission structure, drama, no internal promotions, DM untrustworthy
Absolutely the best place to work
Assistant Manager -Staten Island Mall (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 16, 2018
The flexibility was great and the manager was amazing. she always pushed us to get on track and keep driving sales through the roof. the customers were nice and loyal but of course there where the rude ones haha.
Very supportive staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 15, 2018
Since this was my first job in sales many of the employees and management staff took me under their wing and helped me learn the ropes of retail. They were a very encouraging group.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short Break
I loved this job
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCSeptember 13, 2018
I miss this job and was very sad to leave. Working with customers was great and there was a nice incentive to sell. mostly part time work, very little advancement unless you are willing to relocate
Pros
discount
Cons
low advancement
Great place to work at Soma in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 11, 2018
Soma at the Empire Mall is Sioux Falls, S Dakota is a great place to work, with me being a Sales Lead or third manager as some places would call us we only work part time, which is way I am not there need a full time job with benefits..But being a part of the team at Soma I feel that I really help me in all aspects
Cons
Part-time
Love my co-workers!
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 18, 2018
I love who I work with but wish the company would set it's priorities straight. God forbid you need a day off and can't come in if something is really wrong. No organization unless the manager takes it upon herself to do it. The company is a hot mess but we have fun here. You can make a pretty penny. No discounts to law enforcement or military. Don't plan to be in school, they aren't flexible.
Pros
40% off discount
Cons
No one stays with company long
Very happy to have worked for Soma
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 30, 2018
I learned a TON all the way around from my manager and assistant manager! I left feeling like a stronger more confident woman! The customers where amazing and overall I truly enjoyed my experiences with them as well. The only downside would have to be not being able to be full time.
Pros
Employee buy in and discount
Cons
Hours
Revolving door of unhappy employees
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 30, 2018
Soma can be a great place to work, if managers/DMs take their employees concerns and questions seriously. Pay is partially based on commission, but coworkers would constantly steal sales from each other, leading to animosity and in-fighting. Customers were a mixed bag—some were very kind while others would demean you to the point of tears.
Pros
40% discount for employees at Soma, Chicos, and White House Black Market
Cons
Did not feel respected by upper management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach County, FLJuly 25, 2018
If you looking to have one on one with customers on personal areas great place to work ! Helping other women like yourself to gain their self when looking to look good great place .
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No health insurance
Great overall company
Sales lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29206July 24, 2018
Great company to work for, except for the management in the particular store I worked in. The job and the company was great along with the learning experience and opportunity for advancement.
Soma was a fantastic place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 23, 2018
We had an amazing crew at the store I worked. It was sad to see it close. Its hard to find a store that had such great employee's but we had the whole package.
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 23, 2018
For the most part when I first started at Soma I really enjoyed being there and then after awhile I was promoted to a management position and I still loved being there but eventually it started to become too much between management becoming a revolving door and management not upholding the integrity of being a manager. A lot of times I felt and was overworked and underpaid as a sales lead/manager.
Pros
Great customers!!!
Cons
Management and Salary!!!!
Not very great place to work unless it's a first time job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 20, 2018
Didn't like it. Would never work there again. The management cut hours with no warning. All of the training is online. Nobody really takes the time to train you outside of on the register and to do bra fits. You have to learn everything else on your own and through books. Nobody likes to put things back in there place. People act like because they are in a higjer position than you, that you have to so anything and everything that they tell you. Even if that means not finishing what you are in the middle of doing. If they don't approve of the way you are helping a customer, they will take over your sell and not give you credit for the sell.
Great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 19, 2018
Loved working here great customer service. Fun job. Learned a lot from this job. Great working experience. Absoulutely loved everyday at work. Most difinitly.
Pros
Everthing
Cons
There are no cons at th8s job
poor communicatin withn team
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  the mall at robinsonJuly 17, 2018
Poor communication leads to double work/double time. team is not on the same page. Proper training is obsolete. Dress code is difficult to follow. Must purchase new wardrobe to abide by company standards.
Great Place to Work if staff wasn’t so unfriendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJuly 14, 2018
Soma is a very good company—good benefits, friendly customers, and is very organized. I just wish that the people they hired weren’t so biased and unfriendly. They take advantage of and are extremely rude to lower level associates, yet have a hypocrisy level of about 100%. The women there just need to be reminded that everyone starts on the bottom, including them, and to be mindful that this is a professional environment—not a place to be rude and disrespectful to lower level employees.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Bad employees; need higher wages
Welcoming Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 1, 2018
Soma is a great place to build skills in sales. You receive a lot of training and support on a regular basis. There aren't any benefits for part time employees, but they are pretty flexible and open to working with you on hours
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no benefits for part time employees
like every other retail job
Sales lead/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYJune 29, 2018
I worked as a key holder as soma intimates. On a regular day I had to do basic operational work like open and closing store, fixing fixtures, overseeing sales associate, and make sure we hit our daily goal to help store goal . It was an ok job. there was no work and life balance and my specific store never had a permanent manager. assistant manager failed to step up as a leader, too passive. One piece of advice I would give to soma is to choose their workers wisely.
Pros
great working with the customers
Cons
high turn over rate/ need to increase pay for the amount of work load
Amazing!
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 26, 2018
I feel so lucky to wake up and WANT to go to work everyday. I have worked retail a long time and have made a career in the industry. Its so rewarding and empowering to make all my customers look and feel their best. Its an intimate selling atmosphere and you really connect with customers. Im fortunate to have passionate leaders and coworkers in my region and im the happiest ive ever been. Hard work does pay off and i can thank Soma for my success!
Pros
Positive environment, benefits, room to grow in the company
Cons
Employee turn
Very flexible but has a lot of room for growth.
Sales Lead, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 25, 2018
I've worked for Soma going on the better half of a decade as both an Associate and a member of their Retail Management Team as a Sales Lead. The product is fantastic, the coworkers on a cohesive team are irreplaceable, and the opportunity to change a customers literal life with a proper fitting bra is a fantastic experience. The company overall has some serious flaws. Having been with company and a top performer I can say that the company does not pay accordingly and they take advantage of their almost exclusively female staff. The only raises I have received within the company have been because minimum wage was raised and they were literally forced to pay me more. They do not offer raises based on performance, merit, or longevity within the brand. If they promote from within they pay $1-3 less then recruited candidates from outside the company which is disheartening. The company would also benefit from having a third party survey employees to evaluate and grow the brand. We only recently began offering shwag and brand loyalty products like our primary competitor and that has been a huge miss within the brand as well as a general lack of product diversity. Every bra should be offered in every style, size, and color even if the on hand product cannot accomodate this it should be something that can be ordered. We could see huge overall growth from improving these sectors. Also being a primarily female staffed company that services a large female customer base we have zero maternity benefits, educational support, or just other key support features you would aniticpate out of a  more... company that triest to present itself as so progressive.  less
Cons
Pay, Growth Opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Soma. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss