Somerset Community College Employee Reviews

It was slow pace and relaxed.
Office, Kitchen, Server (Former Employee) –  Russell Springs, KYMay 7, 2018
The pay was not really enough to live on or for all the training and work I had to but the qualifications were good for a career going to school. There really was not enough hours for all the training. I was a single mom of two kids trying to set the example for them. However I was exhausted and burned out mentally and physically.
Pros
worked with really good people and teachers that were there for you
Cons
To much work and not enough from being fizzled
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYApril 14, 2018
SCC is one of the best places I have ever had the privilege of working!! The only downside was that the mentoring program was grant funded, so, there was not the ability to work full-time.
Cons
I was working through a grant that ended
College Work
Computer lab, Maintenance, Bio Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMarch 16, 2018
This was a good place to do work study. I worked in computer lab, maintenance and Bio lab. I liked the Campus and the atmosphere of my coworkers there.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Not Full Time
great place to work
SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYFebruary 26, 2018
Typically as a secretary you do the normal job requirements, answer phones and file. Being a teachers aide is enjoyable being able to help the students when they need it.
A place of educational opportunity
RTW Program Coordinator - Adjunct instructor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJanuary 9, 2018
Completing paperwork and working with a diverse population of students

I learned how to effectively work with difficult people while encouraging success for this same population
Excellent place to work
Radiology and CT Instructor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYDecember 29, 2017
I really enjoyed being given the opportunity to work with students in a program that was as prestigious as that of Somerset Community College and the KCTCS system.
I loved it here.
English Instructor (Adjunct) (Former Employee) –  London, KYAugust 30, 2017
I loved teaching for SCC; I worked for them for six years. I was crushed when many of us were laid off due to low enrollment. I hope to return one day when enrollment improves.
Fun environment with access to help
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 10, 2017
Tutoring in the library was an awesome way to help other students with their classwork/testing/study. Hardest part of the job would be waiting for students.
Great learning establishment
Student (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJune 4, 2017
I enjoyed my time there. i learned a lot about Collision repair And automotive refinishing. the environment was pleasant and comfortable which made for a well rounded experience.
Easily my favorite job that I've ever had
THEATRE/DEAN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMay 9, 2017
I worked in the Theatre department and it was just one big family. I loved coming into work everyday because the atmosphere was so genuine, caring and fun! I learned so much from my supervisor about the workplace and about life in general. The hardest part of the job was selling production tickets because a lot of our patrons were elderly and hard of hearing. The most enjoyable part was literally everything else. I learned how to sew, how to transfer on multi-line telephones and how to have fun at work.
Pros
Work on school work during down time and access to the prop room!
Cons
It was a part-time student position so naturally the pay wasn't huge

Want to know more about Somerset Community College?

Ask a question
N/a
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  McCreary County, KYJanuary 20, 2017
Cleaned bathrooms, as well as Park and recreation areas, performed any light duty maintenance, trained new employees, cleaned and sanitized outdoor equipment and indoor equipment daily.
go to work then study
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 20, 2016
depended on the area of the school i was in as to what i would be doing but the Job was essentially the same Help students with anything they would require or need
Pros
some places allowed me to work on homework
Cons
it can get boring
Professor Penniless
Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 5, 2015
I went to school for years and years to earn a Master's degree, and I was so excited to be teaching college! Then enrollment plummeted. So I ended up earning $11,000 a year until I was broke.
Work Study, Maintained Facility
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  London, KySeptember 19, 2015
It was a good job I had during college that helped me work around my busy class schedule. I also learned a lot of administrative properties while I was there, and learned a lot of new skills.
Very productive place to work
Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London kyMay 31, 2015
I loved my fellow coworkers, very nice environment. a typical day at work consist of making copies for instructors, answering phones and filing papers, I loved being able to help others with anything they needed.,
Pros
close to town
Cons
short breaks
Studio is very small and can accomidate 15 students.
Associate Professor of Art (Current Employee) –  Somerset KYMay 18, 2015
Small Community College located in a rural area. Good benefits, am a tenured faculty. Job culture is very conservative. The art community is quite provincial.
Pros
Autonimy
Cons
Small, provential art community.
Productive fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, KYMay 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working at somerset community, It was an easy goung job a with very nice employees. The work wasnt very hard or stressful.
Great Place
Provide Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYSeptember 15, 2014
My typical day began with creating report. I often arrived early to complete these reports which allowed me ample opportunity to assist students without the pressure of completing daily task. I also had the pleasure of performing the task of Testing Assistant. I developed my office skills at Somerset Community College which I continue to improve daily. The opportunity to work with some great people and help others was the greatest part of the position.
Pros
Learning environment and great people
Cons
Job Security
A lot of work, but a learning experience.
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Liberty, KYFebruary 27, 2014
McDonald's was a typical fast food experience. You learn to accept people for how they are and how to work with others, and how to handle customer care/ support.

ACS was data entry with their own systms and their own work eithic ideas. The work was not hard, but there was more to it than just keying information. The hours could be long one week and normal the next day.
Pros
learning people
Cons
none really
Respectful Enviroment
Part Time Adjunct/English Department (Former Employee) –  Whitley City, KYFebruary 26, 2014
Taught night classes part imte in the English department & scored portfolios at the Somerset Campus for advancement into English 101.
Pros
2 days per week
Cons
salary