Somerset County Employee Reviews

Archaic management practices, rampant bullies
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJuly 2, 2019
Most management has been there for decades, never worked anywhere else, no perspective, stuck in the 90s in all ways: politics, HR, PTO, technology, flexibility.
Acceptable place if you want decent benefits, ability to slack off, and low expectations. But if you are progressive, motivated, and want to make a difference avoid at all costs.
Little to no advancement opportunities or career development, pay increases are laughable, riddled with terrible managers who regularly engage in illegal activities (sexism, racism, nepotism, ageism, retaliation, ... you name it). Stressful and difficult environment that made employees miserable and anxious.
Pros
35hr work week, decent healthcare (though expensive)
Cons
nearly everything
Somerset County Vocational School had a good work environment
SUMMER SCHOOL DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJune 20, 2019
Somerset County Vo Tech High School was a wonderful environment to work in. The teachers and staff were all committed to excellence and we had a strong team approach. The most enjoyable part of the day was interacting with the staff and students.
A typical day included getting the substitute teachers started with schedules and responsibilities. I would then check e mails and respond to any parents questions. Any phone messages would be checked and responded to as well. I would them begin meeting with any student discipline referrals and call students down to the office.
Upon completing meeting with students , next would be to walk the campus and interact with my staff and see how their day was going. If I could be of assistance with any problems with maintenance or student management that would be the time that I would problem solve.
Next, we would have Team meetings with all of the administrators to assess the overall effectiveness of the day. We all had a chance to speak and contribute to the conversation. Any adjustments were made at that time to improve efficiency in the school.
Afternoons were spent completing teacher observations, continue to meet with students and address any concerns that came up that needed immediate attention. Lastly, students were dismissed to their buses for departure home.
What I learned while on the job was professional improvement and team building. The hardest part of the job was time management and staying ahead of the problems of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the adults and students.
Pros
good staff
Cons
Stay away from this 🐀 hole.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJJune 2, 2019
HR belongs under a slimy rock because they cannot be trusted.
They will smile at you and throw you under the bus. The pay sucks, management talks behind your back, no supplies, no support and extremely expensive health insurance.
Stay away from this “ who’s your buddy” organization.
Pros
None.
Cons
Read review.....too many to list.
Tough environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJOctober 21, 2018
Lots of politics and people who have been entrenched there forever. Not a pleasant place to work and there is limited opportunity for advancement here.
The Job experiences was very relaxed
Facilities Attendant (Former Employee) –  Somerville, NJJune 26, 2018
My overall experience was very relaxing. My supervisors were great and the county employees are really friendly. They’re very excepting and understanding as long as you do your work and you keep an uplifting attitude.
Productive and fun
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJanuary 10, 2018
Enjoyed working with the staff I would still be there haven’t I had to relocate I learned a lot from everyone I worked with enjoyed being around the kids
Good People
Manager (Current Employee) –  Skowhegan, MEOctober 10, 2017
A service organization that supplies excellent County services to the people who live in Somerset County. Many employees have been in their respective positions for decades.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low pay
Love my job
Bridge worker (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NJFebruary 12, 2017
Good benefits and good paying job I enjoy my job and the people I work with I really enjoy winter lots of ot and love to plow
Recycling isn't the best or fun thing to do but. Every day can't always be fun .
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Somerset, PADecember 13, 2016
All kinds of work to do on bridge's and cleaning of the college and checking the boiler room and meeting new people,the boss are up front with you about what they want you to do
Interesting . Life changing .Honesty essential. Dedication
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Somerset, PASeptember 22, 2016
Non stop education . Teamwork essential .Dedication essential Love my job but I want something closer. Willing to make sacrifices if necessary
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Mandation
Court
District Judge Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Boswell, PADecember 31, 2015
Assist judge, print citation, take payments, handle files such as traffic, non-traffic, civil and criminal. Low pay.
Highly confidential but a warm friendly atmosphere .
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerville, NJOctober 18, 2015
I enjoy working here because I have done so since I graduated high school. There is flexibilty with family matters. I never worry about my personal needs becoming a problem. I have the overwhelming warmth of people I work for. I
Pros
free parking
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County. Our community is ready to answer.