Sonder

Sonder Employee Reviews

Great for millennial who lives with parents/doesn't have rent.
Position is attractive for millennials. They sugar coat the low salary with catered lunches, dog-friendly environment, ping pong table/games, unlimited snacks and coffee. Although I am a millennial myself, I would rather have a higher salary than these office amenities. They seem like a waste of money that could be put into paying us higher wages.

The position started out rigorous, with unlimited work to do everyday. I liked this. It kept me very busy and allowed me to get overtime hours, which they were very ok with allowing. However, they hired so many more agents since I started, that the work load started to dwindle to the point where I was offered to leave early numerous days to save the company money. Most days I just sit at my desk asking managers for more work/waiting around for a guest to call in. Its mind-numbing. I guess they just overshot the amount of new employees they needed to the point where there is little to no work to fill an 8 hour shift. I just hope since the company is still expanding their units globally, that they may temporarily cease their hiring in this department until they see how much more work the new units will actually be for the customer service position.
Sonders
This is a great place to work fun and energetic meet new faces daily cleaning condos and studio apartments are sonething brand new for me but its fun we're located downtown savannah so you get to see the main attractions and thats a plus for visitors/ travelers
Pros
Good work
Cons
Not enough hours
High velocity business that has some learning to do
High level of pressure and work hours, not enough people who understand the industry, good people culture but a lot of frustration and burnout. A lot of time feels like you are working a lot of hours without making an impact. Changes happen quickly but aren't well thought out.
Honest Review
When I first started working there back in June 2019, the job seemed way too good to be true. Unfortunately, I didn’t fully learn that until I decided to put in my two weeks in.

The job culture, meaning the environment, was extremely open. Each employee has an open cubicle with an automatic standing desk (controls to adjust the height) & are sat inches away from another employee. This seems like a cool thought at first, right? Yes and no. Cool thought, but when it comes to pick-up an inbound/outbound call(s), it's SO loud and hard to concentrate.

-I had shared my concerns about this with my manager, and was immediately shut-down. I was told that no one else had concerns, so just deal with it.

As for management, each one of them is all over the place and continue to blame the company saying the phrase of "well we don't have that put in place or we can't do that since we're a startup company."

-Yes they are a startup company; however, they are 5 years old.

-It was difficult to understand why things had to be done that way & why we couldn't think of a better way to go about the job.

Let's talk about schedules:

-I began in June 2019, they offered/promised that we could work any hours, receive overtime everyday if we like, and take either a 30min / 1hr lunch (paid).

-The above practice ^ stopped in late July 2019. I'm guessing it's due to hiring over 25-40 people in less than 3 weeks time.

-Your schedule seems to be locked into place until 6 months in; at least this is what I was told several times. My schedule was as follows, Friday - Tuesday from 11AM - 7PM.
 - more...
Can't Beat The Culture!
Never-ending to-do list; expect to work and grind in a fast-paced environment. The employees are all great beings; very positive and fun culture to be involved in. Great office space with another upgrade on the horizon. Tons of great perks/benefits. As long as it's clear what your responsibilities are and you are confident in your ability to manage them, then it's a no-brainer of a place to be. A fast-growing company where you can have a direct impact. Weekly happy hour, monthly department outings; amazing culture!
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Relaxed, but highly unorganized.
Hungry start up company with lots of cool perks. Little Management, wish washy expectations, favoritism. Relaxed culture and vibe. Big dreams. My experience was negative because I came in and there was little training. Weekly one on ones with management made me believe I was doing well, but then I was let go out of the blue for poor performance when I had been praised for my performance a few days earlier. Not sure what the purpose of one on ones are with management when you are told lies and provided little help or guidance. Other than that, the job atmosphere was cool.
Pros
Food and beverages provided, dogs allowed in office, casual dress code, generous culture allowance.
Cons
Poor training, poor management, high turnover, poor pay for what the job entails, no job security.
Very busy business
Startup with little management.
Job is very interesting but highly unorganized.

Workday is very long.

Food is delivered daily.

Very friendly team.

Great location in San Francisco.
Fun Workplace and great people
Sonder is a great place, with a fun work culture snacks and relaxed management. If you are on the Guest Experience team it is a bit call center ish. I would have stayed but needed more of an income and did not want to be tied to a computer all day. I miss management and my co-workers daily!
Pros
Catered lunches, company outings
Cons
Tied to your computer, no salary options
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sonder?
Don't waste your time
They pay horrible money and will pay bare minimum then fire you for no reason. Get a real job. CEO doesn't care about the employees and most of the managers he hires are his friends.
Sonder
Typical day includes:
. Utilizing Redux and React Native to implement new features in the app

. Code reviews and testing

Workplace culture:

. Fast paced and challenging
Helped me become a stronger server
Learned lots of different concepts that I can now use in the future. Fully understood the wine/beer/liquor/cocktail menu because of proper training. Great managers that always seem to make sure my schedule worked and always worked with what I needed to accomplish my goals.
Official response from Sonder
January 17, 2019
While we appreciate such a positive review, we are not a restaurant. Please take a look at our website - www.sonder.com - and our beautiful spaces available for your next trip!
Very productive place, hardworking and stressless job.
Fast paced place to work, its very detailed oriented. I would have at least 10 tasks to complete per day which could be very challenging at times. You can rapidly advance when you excel in a particular area of expertise. I loved the camaraderie, freedom and trust we were given to do our jobs .