Sonesta Employee Reviews

Awful work environment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 9, 2018
The Royal Sonesta is a hotel that has been plagued by toxic work atmosphere and environment. Credit to the HR staff that arrived around 2016 for trying to change the culture but it's like cleaning up a toilet preparing to eat out of it. Management has no empathy or communication skills when dealing with employees. There's an unspoken feeling of segregation with management and hourly employees. Rules does not apply to Management and the Sales team especially during Mardi Gras and events.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Toxic environment, office politics, cut throat culture
Great company, wish I could go back
DIRECTOR of FOOD & BEVERAGE (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2018
My experience was fantastic. I left thinking there were greener pastures, but should never have exited. Management was supportive, staff motivated, and customer base was upscale. The area in Baltimore was up and coming and exciting.
good job
Front Desk/Night Auditor/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 20, 2018
The hotel is a good place to work for, but you have to be fast and also willing to go above and beyond to help the guest....also the benefits are amazing.
Benefits
Cons
Very hard work
Poor Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 12, 2018
Very unorganized management, condescending attitude towards anyone not employed at an executive level. Mundane tasks with no opportunity to take on extra work and help out the office.
First job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 1, 2018
Sonesta was my first job in florida i start as houseplman in the hotel, and the supervisor in the houseman department.
I used to work there 40 hours a week.
Night Audit position
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCMay 9, 2018
If they were to hire two people for this position , this would be a great place to work. Hire two people to work every night and solve this reaccuring problem with Night Auditors
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Two much work for one Night Auditor
Upscale and comfortable environment with various employee events creating a positive and satisfying work experience and good food,
Concierge (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA 70130May 7, 2018
A typical day at work included various responsibilities aimed at making sure that the guest experience was dynamic and exceptional.
I learned to continually expand the concept of individualized service. Management could have been more supportive of front line employees. Workplace culture was steeped in team work and creating common goals. The hardest part of the job was the location on Bourbon St. The most enjoyable part of the job was directly experiencing customer satisfaction,
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Challenging location.
It’s a great place beside the management and crazy guest
Front desk (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 29, 2018
Everyone is for self some don’t believe in team player management suck it’s just to much favoritism going on .some expect your life to revolve around the job.
Pros
Free lunch decent pay
Cons
Poor management, scheduling is poor, they all work together to go against you
loved it
Overnight Supervisor, Manager Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 20, 2018
i worked 20 years and loved it. what can i say but that enjoyed all areas of this hotel and gave loyalty to the end.. new management (owners) is different
Pros
the people
Cons
new owners
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 19, 2018
The Royal Sonesta Hotel is a nice place to work, the attitude of the head chef is not good and she needs to be replaced by someone who enjoys her job.
Pros
Free lunch, excellent pay
Terrible location to work
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAApril 17, 2018
Sonesta as a whole isn't a bad company to work for, but this location is the pits. It's an outdoor property, which is a challenge of its own. To add insult to injury, the wages are very low, the work is very difficult, and there's a very high turnover rate. Most of the managers were decent, some were just beyond poor. The place wouldn't be so bad with a different leadership team.
Pros
Room discounts
Cons
Low wages, poor leadership, difficult work, exterior entry property
One of the best Hotel Companies
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 17, 2018
I've worked for a number of hotels, and I have to say that Royal Sonesta was the best of them all. Each staff and department were filled with competent people who took their jobs seriously. I had the pleasure of working with many wonderful folks, and I never felt as if there was behind the scenes drama going on. The hardest part of the job is the location being right on Bourbon Street. But the culture was terrific, and management all around was very solid. Most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the many personalities of the fellow co-workers I had the pleasure of being around.
Managment could use more direction and training needed for employees
Hotel Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale Beach, FLApril 11, 2018
Poor Communication between Departments and Management. Very Unorganized and lack of training for employees. Management played favoritism and only certain co-workers were able to advance. Employees didn't feel valued or appreciated for their hard work. Benefits were good and there was paid vacation time.
Pros
Benefits were good
Cons
Unorganized between management
Great environment for work great public relations
FOOD & BEVERAGE SUPERVISOR / RESTAURANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 11, 2018
excellent for costumer service and public relations
Hospitality business and Food & Beverage experience great opportunities to grow up and learn more for the industry of hospitality
Benefits
Cons
Discounts
Beautiful environment to work in, great team
Sales/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2018
History of the building and it is beautiful. Love interacting with the guests and residents of the Hotel. Wonderful neighborhood, beautiful buidlings.
Culture of Caring
IT Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newton, MAMarch 29, 2018
When was the last time you had fun at work? It's a great time to join our hospitality team at one of our 55 properties across the US or at our corporate office in Newton, MA. Great company and the culture of caring really does apply to employees and to our communities.
good place
House person (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2018
I enjoy working there just had personal problems. My managers were great and the co-workers were giving and shared their times with me whenever they could.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Social Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 23, 2018
Great place to work, I don't feel like writing a review so I am taking a hard pass on this silly requirement as I just would like to update my profile.
productive
Cook III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2018
able to grow within the company, fast paced, fun to work, able to learn and grow within your team, great management, most enjoyable part is being able to add your input or experience to the team
Excellent Company and Culture! Loved it!
Management (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 19, 2018
I worked for Sonesta for a long time and really loved it. It has an amazing Culture and they really live it up! Great managers and Corporate people. Excellent benefits and it is growing! I regret l left.
Pros
Amazing Company
Cons
Nothing is perfect, but I don't see an issue that is bad.