Sonic Drive-In Employee Reviews

Found 13,080 reviews matching the search See all 13,107 reviews
Fun workplace for younger people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cordell, OKJanuary 22, 2019
Did not offer benefits, not a whole lot of job work/life balance, there were offers for advancement, management could use some work, job security was not very reliable.
Productive, fast pace working environment with lots of energy
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2019
A day at work consisted of 100% service to customers, training, budgeting, meeting monthly goals, cleaning and maintaining machines and or areas, and overall making sure that everyone works cooperatively when short handed. I've learned that "Every customer is worth a mint" meaning that they should be cared after to the smallest of details and giving them the utmost customer service we could. My opinion on management would be getting to not only know your team/giving them constructive criticism, but also being able to be supportive and to always listen to the employees concerns and thoughts. I'd describe the workplace culture as a variety of different tasks such as cleaning the floors to passing audits as a team. The hardest part of the job would be when everybody would call in/not show up and the remaining employees would have to pick up the slack to make sure they meet top standards. The most important part of the job would be spending individual time with the customers and my fellow employees.
Pros
free meals, incentives, winning contests through customer service
Cons
no benefits, long hours, no paid vacations for employees except for managers
Fast Paced, Good Hours, Bad Management
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAJanuary 18, 2019
Sonic as a company is an over competitive but driven. Management is not the best, but it’s more of a single person oriented job. I recommend it as a good first job.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Short breaks, no raises.
No advancement opportunities/Poorly organized
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Harrodsburg, KYJanuary 30, 2019
All in all the experience was fine, but some managers were immature and unruly. Training was sub-par and inefficient, was yelled at while training on drive thru because they hadn't explained the system properly. Customers were yelled at by manager for asking a question. Manager was not fired at the time, possibly has been since.
Pros
Breaks, meal discount, free drinks
Cons
Poor management, no raise opportunities, inconsistent hours
This work place is usually fast paced due to the location and surrounding businesses.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAFebruary 11, 2019
Being apart of the management team, i observe quite a bit of contradictory actions which i refuse to follow and it has weakened my postion's stance with the company. I feel as though if you are related to the general manager, you can feel safe with your job. However, I feel that a person's actions in preforming their job should be the main concern in discerning any raises and promotions.
Pros
Crew has either discounted or free meals.
Cons
General Manager allows some crew to do whatever while others get punished for the same actions.
Sonic Drive-In
Carhop/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Justin, TXDecember 14, 2018
It was a great first job. Making tips everyday is a good way to push the carhops to work harder and work together to get orders out so that we had that instant gratification. The managers were always very helpful and patient.
Pros
tips, management and coworkers
Cons
benefits, stressful, store was in bad shape
Okay Place
Carhop/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnsboro, LADecember 7, 2018
I like working here because we get to keep tips and you can eventually get a raise if you work hard enough. The job is not hard at all. The workers here are not fun to work with though. They bring their problems from home to work and it’s aggravating. Work hard as you can and as long as the General Manager likes how you work then you’re job is secure.
Pros
Don’t share tips
Cons
Short breaks
Fun and productive workplace
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  395 Bert Kouns Ind LoopJanuary 21, 2019
Happy hour is the hardest part of the job. Serving customers is the easiest part of the job. Working in management gives a young person a drive for better knowledge in the business as well as ownership in life.
Pros
Free or half price meals
Cons
Not many raises
Working there had it's fun moments.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMDecember 18, 2018
I liked my job when I started, but over the years the lack of leadership from higher levels started taking a toll on everyone. I was asked to do the store managers job as he was retiring and I agreed to do so with a raise. At the time my vehicle had broken down and I was relying on others for rides or public transportation leaving me available to only work certain hours. Because of this issue, my request for a raise was immediately turned down and my hours were cut from 36-38 per week to 28 per week and my management tasks were removed from me. I was left with no other choice but to quit and find work elsewhere.
Pros
Lifelong friendships, learning management skills
Cons
Bad leadership all around
Nothing Personal Against them.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  East Ridge, TNDecember 10, 2018
I have nothing personal against Sonic. They were pretty nice to me most of the time. Management left a little something to be desired. But, where they really lost me is pay and benefits. There's really no opportunity to advance. And even if you do advance, the pay still sucks and the hours are ridiculous for managers. Most of the people I worked with are nice. It was a pretty laid back environment most of the time. If you just want to pick up some extra cash and mindless tasks don't bother you, go for it.
Pros
great drinks
Cons
you don't always get a break, your day may get cut short, you won't get a raise, you don't get any benefits. If you're a manager you're putting in 50+ hours a week.
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Harrah, OKDecember 12, 2018
Management was really terrible at the location that I worked at. I loved working there. I was there the longest compared to other workers never got my raise, but other workers did. I moved and found a different job.
No benefits for hourly employees and low pay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2019
This is a starter job for young kids. There is little room for advancement and little to no benefits. I worked with them for almost 5 years and I’ve only had about a $3 raise and I’m a manager.
Pros
Employee meals
Cons
No benefits
Starting job
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOJanuary 9, 2019
I personally feel that Sonic is more a place for teenagers to start learning about work rather than a career place. The advancements are slim and the pay raises are small and few.
Pros
Fun job, tips are pretty good.
Cons
Opportunity to move up is slim, pay raises are small.
Very Active
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 13, 2019
There were learning moments during the time i worked at sonic and horrible moments as well. I had to learn to truly control my attitude when under tough task when coming together as an team after learning to control my emotions thats when better things happen such as more hours and raises.
Terrible place to work.
Operations/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  GautierNovember 12, 2018
Management was absolutely catastrophic. No sense of urgency. I would never recommend working here for anyone if you plan on advancing or if you are trying to raise a child.
Fast Environment
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Malvern, ARFebruary 11, 2019
Typical fast food job, good for a first or teenage job but there's very few opportunities to move up in the system. I wouldn't recommend it as a career but I have loved the three years I have worked there.
Pros
Fun, Fast
Cons
No benefits
Good Place to work. Good boss. Not many benefits given.
Crew/Carhop (Current Employee) –  Lynn Haven, FLFebruary 8, 2019
I really enjoyed working at sonic and they have been good. The bosses are nice and tend to be understanding. My biggest compliant is that you don’t get many reward so for going above and beyond. I saw more employees get raises when they said they were thinking about leaving then what was given for being a good employee.
Pros
Menu half off when you work.
Fast-paced, overall easy place to work
Carhop/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Comanche, TXJanuary 20, 2019
A typical shift is 5-7 hours. For a carhop your day will include "hopping" orders (delivering them to customers) as well as providing correct change where applicable. A carhop will also be expected to help take and fill orders, which includes handling food, making drinks, and making ice cream and shake orders.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of benefits, minimal room for growth and advancement
It’s a no for me.
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Sonic Drive In for me personally is not enough to make ends meet and after 6 years finally got an advancement. It is ridiculously stressful and since there isn’t really any benefits it’s not worth it. Yes you get paid time off, but they barely let you take time off. Plus they give you breaks even if you haven’t worked a full 5 hours, which is against the work law.
Pros
Discounted food, some cool workers. Assistant managers were cool, but the new GM was a bit uptight.
Cons
Everything I’ve stated above.
Fast Past yet fun working environment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, TXJanuary 11, 2019
They always worked around my schedule and gave me off when needed. They gave raises when it was earned by employee. Made sure people were always taken care of if there was a personal issue and they needed to leave work immediately. Very caring environment.
Pros
Free Lunch, Got as many hours needed, Good raises
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonic Drive-In. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight