Play YouTube video button
Information from Sonoco:

Sonoco Employee Reviews

United States835 reviews
Featured review
Sonoco selected this as a representative review
Great Company to work for
Sonoco is a great company with a strong stable history. Best opportunity for promotion is a willingness to relocate. They have an excellent work life balance but always be prepared to go the extra mile for the customers and your supervisor/ manager.
Pros
Opportunity to train and increase skill level at every level
Cons
None unless your really can not relocate
February 25, 2019
Thank you for taking time to post a review. We're proud to be celebrating 120 years in business this year, and look forward to 120 more! Our teammates are what make us great, and the opportunity to advance and travel/move throughout their career is what makes our culture of development stand out. Thank you again!
It's a job
As far as any growth potential I feel it is very limited at Sonoco. To me it was a job just to get me by till I found something more challenging. Supervisors were standard production supervisors with little to no real coaching skills. Good day to day job once you learn the process it is easy with little job satisfaction.
The job itself wasn't bad, but the work-life balance was.
Working at Sonoco was not difficult in terms of the job itself.

But they expect you to work way too many hours. 6 to 7 day weeks.

Not worth it when you have kids and family.
Terrible benefits
Disorganized and fast pace. Employee safety is definitely a priority at Sonoco. A good job but with terrible benefits. Overall I would have have work till retirement if the plant hadn’t closed.
Get on your horse and get ready to ride
Or should I say fly. Constant travel, constant meetings, constant manipulation, constant rival positioning. Everyone has an opinion on how to do your job. HR becomes the heavy to minimize your concerns and are quick to communicate your issues with management.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
plant manager down to earth
its a thankless repetitive strenuous work environment. Very hot in the summer months. Its not a career oriented job and not a place i would recommend unless you were desperate for work.
Not Fair far as hours and pay
Pay should be more, they will fire you for dumb reasons. And is still giving out absent points in this pandemic for ones that has home issues or medical..
Perfecta
Muy satisfecho de todo que me preguntaron la seguridad en general gracias
April 16, 2020
Gracias por dejar tu comentario, ¡lo apreciamos! Nos alegra saber que está teniendo una experiencia positiva.
Horrible place to work
Benefits are not bad, but the pay cannot compete with other companies in the area. Poor pay and poor working conditions. Safety is important, but production is more important
Pros
Good benefits, nice people
Cons
Very low pay, not competitive with other companies in the area.
Bad Environment
I worked at their elk grove facility for 1 month i was poorly trained no one spoke English and i was fired for not understanding what they was trying to explain.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sonoco?
fast paced cnc operations
I really enjoy fast paced work, I actually ran 3 machines at a time with 1-2 minute cycles. I had many other responsibilities, such as hourly quality checks, gauging, and packaging for customer.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
for some this may be to fast paced
April 16, 2020
Thank you for leaving your feedback. We are glad to hear that you had a positive experience while working with us!
good place
ok place overall, just no work and life balance. worked almost everyday, never had time for family. The pay was really low for the work that had to be done.
April 16, 2020
Thank you for leaving your feedback. We appreciate all comments, as it helps us better understand areas for improvement. Thank you again!
Good place to work.
The people were friendly. It was not a long ways to drive to work. The work required heavy lifting. They had good breaks. I liked working the second shift.
April 16, 2020
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear your experience while working at Sonoco was positive.
The place is awful
Nobody helps you you get harrassed and the supervisors and plant manager are not helpful especially 3rd shifts supervisor all products nearly are defective they just hope companies don't test walls of cores and tubes but you can work there if you are a suck up and go to church with half the plant the special 2 face click they have there
Frustrating and nerve wrecking
Everyone is so scared of management that they won’t slow to machines down to help people learn and they’re always doing something behind your back and you always have to watch what you’re doing because they won’t correct you they will go to upper management
Opportunity to learn
When i went through my interview at sonoco i didnt even know how to work a hand drill. In a matter of a year i learned to weld, do minimum electric work, Operate a fork lift, and run machinery (Drill press, lathe, end mill).
April 16, 2020
Thank you for leaving your feedback. Your story of learning and development while working with us is one we take pride in. Thank you for sharing it!
Somewhat professional atmosphere -
*Clear Lam Packaging 2015-2017
Great working atmosphere, superior manager who was very open to questions, shared knowledge, taught and never made me feel inferior and was part of a great team.

*Sonoco Products 2017-2019

More Safety and hygiene, structure and changes. Very good learning and training programs and open to new challenges and promotions
April 16, 2020
Thank you for leaving your feedback, for both your experience at Clear Lam (prior to acquisition) and of course regarding your time with Sonoco. Safety is at the core of everything we do, so to hear that you found our safety practices as an improvement, is music to our ears!
Poor management some supervisors are not there for work but to miggle get in workers personal life. Too many chiefs not enough Indians. Not organized.And all of hr and management are for one another not the workers
April 16, 2020
We appreciate the time you took to leave your feedback. We are grateful for all comments so that we can better understand areas for improvement or focus. We invite you to share more with us if you're willing, via email, at connect@sonoco.com - thank you again!
Awesome all around
The job was pretty good. I liked working there. It was nice people talked and try to help you learn what was going on. The only down side was the new people that didn't want to work
Pros
Positive influence
Cons
Only a temporary job
April 16, 2020
Thank you for your review! We appreciate all feedback, and open to door to further feedback if you'd be willing to share, at connect@sonoco.com
Packing
Job task was to load items into boxes and wrap them up to be shipped off. It's a very fast work place. You have to wear steel toe shoes. It don't necessary have to be boots. As long as you are comfortable in what you are wear on your feet and they have to be Steel Toe though. You will be standing for long periods of time. They is peaceful work place environment. First job I ever had and it was a good place to start out. Coming straight out of high school. I will say this though, they will be some days they call you in and when you get there; they'll send you right back home if they don't need you because you have to go through a line and checked off on the list of people that they called in. Best to get there about 15 minutes ahead of time.
April 16, 2020
Thank you for your insightful comments and feedback. It's really helpful to potential employees and our management teams so that we can better improve processes and experiences!
What ive learned
Learned how to work in a group and by myself as well. Love waking up every morning to go to work i really miss it if I didn't have to move I I'll still be working there
April 16, 2020
Thank you for leaving your comments. We appreciate the time you took to review Sonoco. Our family and team culture is something we're extremely proud of. We wish you lots of success!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoco. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
1.9
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
1.5Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight