Sonoco Employee Reviews

Sonoco
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJDecember 11, 2018
I loved working here. The people that worked where a little strange sometimes, But the manager was awesome. Very fast paced, definitely a no relax job.
a good work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCDecember 7, 2018
I enjoyed working there everybody always came together and help one another out.down to the lead man and superviouser.i learn a lot at sonoco the work wasn't hard they made sure u understand what u was doing was correct wouln' mind going back
Pros
they give out gift cards to pepole who don't miss any days of work
Cons
short breaks
Sonoco
Scheduler Planner/ Plant Liaison (Former Employee) –  FlorenceNovember 27, 2018
This was a good place to work in this area. I really appreciated the opportunity to work there for 30 years. It was devastating that the plant closed its doors.
Fast Paced
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 27, 2018
working at Sonoco is great if you like a fast paced type of job and work 12 days straight and the week end off and back to work another 12 days straight
Pros
paid brakes
Company closed down
Mold and press operator (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, INNovember 25, 2018
The company closed down
some-other business bought building
I already had another job.
Ran a plastic injection mold press for industrial wire.
Moved finished products to shrink-wrap machine
Management has run it in to the ground.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MINovember 19, 2018
Sonoco used to be a decent place to work but current management has run it in to the ground. HR and all department management play clear favorites and no one has a real understanding of what the day to day processes are supposed to look like. Employee morale is nonexistent and the atmosphere is borderline hostile. Team leads scramble to do their jobs with no back up from salaried management. Operators are given no direction. Every day is a mess. The pay scale for job promotions is a joke and the treatment you’re given as you move up the ladder (if you can) is a nightmare.
Pros
Pizza on weekends, steady paycheck
Cons
Hostile environment, poor management, no processes in place for production streamlining
November 27, 2018

Thank for taking time to leave a review. As you know, a core value of Sonoco's is to Respect, and to "Do the Right Thing." A key principle is also that we treat people the way we hope to be treated. We ask that you provide further feedback and information so that we can be sure to address the issues. Please feel free to contact us at connect@sonoco.com with more detail. Thank you!

Steady work , decent pay depending on location
N/A (Former Employee) –  Forest City, NCNovember 18, 2018
Management is a joke at Forest City plant, they expect to pile a ton of extra work on people while they let lazy workers get by with hardly working supervisor are scared to write up because law suits. If you get hurt they blame you so if you get hurt a lot of employees hide it because of fear of loosing jobs . If you want to move up good luck because they only care if you have a college degree & don't try to send people that's been there more than 5 years or more to learn instead bring people fresh out of college that doesn't understand the process of plastic. If you like being away from your family it's the place for you & the love to have meeting all during the week instead of planning them on Saturday witch could handle from the week but management wouldn't dare be there on a weekend instead do it after or before scheduling work time and then expect production to be happy to work most weekends. Only good thing is you get your 40 hours & then your unwanted overtime. They need to bring in the big bosses & talk with the employees I would say 80% of employees don't like the work environment and upper management in Forest City
Pros
40hrs week
Cons
Management, overload employees, stressful
Work day
Clamp Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 8, 2018
A typical day at Sonoco was workable. I learned alot working there. Working with different tools and machines. The work was easy and there was no hard part about it.
Great place to work, but little to no chance for advancement.
OPERATOR/QUALITY CONTROL TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Henderson, KYNovember 7, 2018
Overall Sonoco is a great place to work. The pay is good, but it does consist of working over or coming in early often. Depending on seniority, you can decide what days you have to work 12 hours. If you are at the bottom then your schedule is unpredictable. There is little turnover at this plant so many of the people who have been there for 10 years or less may still find themselves with this problem. The management has started a new phase of lean manufacturing which has resulted in some better things for the particular Sonoco plant. The job is not physically demanding for the most part, but is very high paced. There is a lot of walking and bending down. The work area is very clean because of the product being food grade. The most trying part is that no matter how much you now or learn, that there is no chance for advancement or even chance to get to a regular shift. I do enjoy the most of the people who work there along with the clean and great pay.environment
Pros
Great pay, clean and climate control environment
Cons
20 minute lunch breaks, overtime, fast paced on feet all day
Beware of B Crew Night shift
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNOctober 31, 2018
The supervisors, trainers, maintenance & people on b crew are horrible. All these people care about is money! 60-84 hour weeks are common, even though they tell you in orientation that they work 36/48 hours with MAYBE one OT day. The seniority list is ridiculous, you can have more seniority than a person and will not get the day you signed for & when you talk to the supervisors about it, it’s oh better luck next week. HR is wack If you work night shift. You would have to schedule a meeting with her & how can you if she doesn’t answer the phone!
The supervisors are vindictive & bipolar. You’re doing something wrong every day, even though they just told you to do it like this YESTERDAY! You’re always going too slow, but 4 things will happen at once & they want you to be there & fix all of them in .3 seconds. (how can you be in multiple places at one time?) One day you’re doing great the next day they have you in the office wanting to talk about your performance. They ALWAYS scold the temps for everything but once you get hired in they don’t say anything else to you.
When it comes to maintenance it’s never a mechanical issue it’s always an operator error, they stay there 2 seconds before telling you it’s fine and walking off. Their response time is greater than 3 minutes & by then the line is down, so it’s your fault that you can’t fix it. And again you’re in the office talking about your performance & production when it wasnt your fault to begin with. (I cant make production with a broke down line!)
It’s supposed to take 17 days to train but it doesn’t because most of the
  more... trainers don’t want to train, (there’s a lack of trainers & you can spend 2 months waiting to get trained) but they will because it’s a pay raise & they can stretch it how they see fit! (some get stretched to 28+ days) Most of the trainers are sleep/not there with you so you have to learn almost everything on your own.
On nights as a temp, they say they will hire you in 90 days but it’s more like 120+. After you get your background check back, you still have to wait 2 weeks before HR even thinks about putting in the paperwork. And then it’s another 2 week wait because HR “didn’t have time”. By then you’ve spent 5-7 months AS A TEMP! When you get hired you have to wait till the beginning of next month get your insurance, 90 more days on vacation & to get off probation! While if you were on days you would have gotten hired in on time.

The turn over rate is ridiculous, you can start with 12 new hires & end with 1. Some get paired with the wrong trainer, some don’t have what it takes, some get on the supervisors bad side & they get fired! Moral of the story is, avoid B crew.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours & People
Mixed feelings.
PLANT ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Beecher ILOctober 31, 2018
Sonoco is a huge company that offers great compinsation for salaried employees. However hourly employees get a small 2% across the board raise yearly, not based off performance. They don’t offer sick days, and even with a doctors note you have to take a sock on points if you are sick. The computer programs are low cost and ineffective for some plants that cause problems whithin inventory, that make it hard to send and receive shipping
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. As a company that believes in the inquisitive nature of our workforce, and truly believes that great ideas can come from anywhere, we invite you to share your ideas regarding new programs to provide better solutions for our stakeholders (customers, employees and shareholders). Please email us at connect@sonoco.com - and thank you again!

very very Lowww Moral
Forklift Operator, Winder Operator (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GAOctober 31, 2018
Poor Management lack of work Plant manager only cares about One person in the whole operation and that's the front office Clerk the most enjoyable part of the is production floor employees
Pros
breakes
It was kind of fun
Lead Baler (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 25, 2018
It was a great job at one time untill the shipping and receiving management took over the recycling department, after that it went down hill , after three years the employees had a Christmas bonus that went from 30 to 300 a piece which was steady climbing when management took over demoting employees and miss handling the inventory the just was to stressful to continue to work there but over all it was a great experience
Pros
Lunches, the room to grow at one time and some great people to work for
Cons
Some people had the ability to ruin whole departments
Fast paced
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 18, 2018
Budgeted machines run continuous overtime runs in heavy streaks if you want it very safe work environment training is pretty good senior operators are knowledgeable at their position
Good opportunity to learn something new
Internship (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCOctober 15, 2018
Some days are busier than others. I learned a lot from this experience. It has good management with a diverse culture.The most enjoyable part is learning and knowing that I have helped others.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us during the summer. We wish you lots of luck in your future!

Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Winchester kyOctober 3, 2018
I loved it at sonco all the over time you want they buy you lunch when you work good I would say it was the best place I ever worked they do safety a lot you get gift cards every 3 months and different stuff every 6 months
Pros
Free shirts and stuff every 6 months and gift cards every 3 months for being safe
Cons
Felt like a family environment
Mold setter (Former Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNOctober 3, 2018
Enjoyed working with all the people I was employed with. Safety was a top concern in every aspect at sonoco. They provide proper safety equipment in all areas that you work in.
Good company
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union, SCOctober 1, 2018
This is a great company to work for with keeping the workforce safe as the number one priority at all levels of the leadership teams. Diverse in products makes it a company looking toward the future.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review! Providing a safe and caring work environment for our employees is our number one priority. We are glad to hear your experience was a positive one! Thanks again!

Good Pay and easy work but bad management
Operator (Current Employee) –  Tiffin, OHSeptember 28, 2018
Management in tiffin OH plant is quite bad. They don't stick to policies, and if they don't have a policy they only do what benefits them. There are a lot of ongoing issues with employees talking about quitting and hating their jobs, simply because management doesn't make employees feel appreciated. No one has a set job description, it's do what we say because we pay you. People get energy isolation violations and they hinder you from moving up to a different job, however there was a recent incident where 7 guys were working on a machine that wasn't properly locked out and because of how many employees involved it got swept under the rug. Not a single employee got more than a write up. It wasn't even in our plant communication meeting. Another major issue is when we are short people we have to "double up". This is where we each have a 30 minute time slot where we either have to watch a second machine or fill in for a missing packer. We do not receive any extra pay for this extra job task which happens sometimes every day of the week. Sonoco is all about safety however if we start a machine up while doubling up we are the operator and the packer so we have to throw our own sheets off and rush down to the packing table to keep up, which is very unsafe.(this is just one example) When i have brought this to the attention of management they just shrug it off because our "doubling up" saves them money. It seems as if all they care about is running machines faster and making more money. Honestly the only reason i still work here (which is the same for many other employees)  more... is because they pay well and the work isn't hard.  less
Pros
pay/easy work
Cons
Bad management
October 1, 2018

Thank you very much for taking time to leave your feedback. One of our core promises to our Teammates is that we create a caring, safe and fulfilling work environment. We'd appreciate hearing more and the opportunity to discuss things further with you, please reach out out at connect@sonoco.com if you're open to it. Thank you again!

I’m scheduled
Builder (Former Employee) –  Hartselle ALSeptember 21, 2018
The job was ok at first but the person over ateendece was not capable of doing there job was accused of missing 20 day when in reality I missed 3 besides that it was decent job
Pros
Work
Cons
Bad Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoco. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss