Sonoco Employee Reviews

Laid back work place,
Forklift Operator/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 20, 2018
Ppl are really nice, they will jump in and help if needed. A lot of company dinners. It's laid back but you stay busy all the time. Overtime is always there if wanted. Several paid holidays and floating holidays. Plus vacation
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No smoking on property
A very productive place
Inspecter Packer (Former Employee) –  Catawba County, NCSeptember 18, 2018
when i began to work there it was called Plastic Packaging Inc. And It was a great place to work for. As time went on, things changed within the company. And we were given more work to do. Two years ago Sonoco brought Plastic Packaging out.
Palletizer Operator (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2018
I liked the culture and strict views on safety. They pay very well and have a good benefits package. Overall I enjoyed my time with them and if I had to do it over again I would.
September 17, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review! Our culture is build on Safety, and we are glad to hear that it was a value of yours as well!

Productive and steady pace
Machine Operator/Packer (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCSeptember 7, 2018
I enjoyed the job there jus wanted a full-time position. The people and manager were very helpful and understanding. It was a very relaxed atmosphere.
overall
Lead Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Chester, VASeptember 5, 2018
fun place to work. Production based job where you were rewarded for meeting goals/ The hardest part of the job was working long hours and the most enjoyable part of the job was having understanding management, thoroughly trained and compensated based on production efforts.
Pros
compensation
Cons
physically exhausting, not climate controlled
Productive and the other employees are very helpful
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 30, 2018
The job I had i was strictly on the forklift, the job was suppose to last longer but it came to and end sooner than expected but I still got certified on the forklift.
Pros
Relaced work environment
Lack of leadership
Process Tech I (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 29, 2018
Managers pick favorites to listen to and ignore the rest. So people can lie about you, and there is no way to defend yourself. HR is useless.

The main problem here is that the managers on 1st shift don't communicate with the managers on 2nd or 3rd shift. So what happens is that because there is no communication, 1st shift always "assumes" what is going on.

So if anybody on 1st shift holds a grudge against you, they can falsely accuse you of anything and the managers just believe it at face-value. They then use this as justification to deny raises and promotions.

So what happens is, if you're not on 1st shift, you spend your career fighting against an unfair system.

To any higher-up's reading this: Fire the managers and hire people who are unbiased.
Pros
Full 40 hours of pay, fun job, learn a ton of cool skills
Cons
Bad management, Bad health insurance, wages stagnate quickly
September 4, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We take our philosophy of People Build Businesses very seriously, and believe that our employees should have a safe, caring and fulfilling work environment. If you're willing to share more feedback with us, we ask that you send us a note to further discuss your experience at connect@sonoco.com - thank you!

Packer/Lead (Former Employee) –  Social Circle, GAAugust 28, 2018
It was a very productive job got along with everyone and I loved this job. Coworkers were nice even my boss was nice and got along with everyone. I couldn’t have asked for a better job but I was sad when I had to leave.
Pros
Loved what I was doing
Cons
Hate I was laid off
September 4, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback! We are glad to hear your time with us was a positive experience. Best of luck to you!

Loved My Job, I Enjoyed going To Work Everyday, and Most Of The Employees Are Good People
Mold Setter (Former Employee) –  Portland, INAugust 27, 2018
My job was a Mold-Setter and i absolutely loved it, My job was to put the molds in the presses so they can make the parts, and i was really good and fast at it and i really liked the fact that i loved coming in to work unlike some jobs I've had where i absolutely dreaded going to work and made my life miserable in the process. But While working at Sonoco it was nice to have a Boss/Supervisor who actually cared and wanted you to do good but the main concern is Safety. Sonoco is really big on Safety and the health of the Employees. The Maintenance Supervisor witch was my boss he was just awesome and actually cared about us whenever we would work overtime witch was voluntary he always told us if he seen us getting burnt out and tired from working the extra hours he would take us off overtime, but i was one of those employees that always volunteered to work all the extra hours and all the Saturdays i could get because i loved cashing those checks. But All n All Sonoco is a really good place to work and the pay is decent and most of the people are nice and try to help you out when they can. The Only Problem I had was with there insurance well the prescription part anyway when i switched to Express Scripts if you take any Medication non-narcotic you have to switch it to be home delivered by Express Scripts because you can only fill your Medication 3 times at a local Pharmacy after that the insurance wont pay for it and that's mainly why i lost my job there, Im type 1 diabetic and they wouldn't fill my insulin because i was never told by anyone that i had to switch to home delivery  more... so i ran out of insulin and had to take multiple days off work to go to my Doctor in Indianapolis to get insulin samples from him all the while Express Scripts told me that i would have to buy it Out-of-Pocket until it transfers over witch took over a month, and the two viles of insulin i did buy out of pocket witch totaled over Five-hundred Dollars, Hr at Sonoco gave me a paper to fill out and send in to Express-scripts to get reimbursed for the money i had to shell out for my medicine, when i had insurance. So i filled the paper out and sent it in and they are still giving me the run-around about reimbursing me for about Eight Months now.  less
Pros
Fifteen Minute Breaks, Good Food In Vending Machines
Cons
Humid, Cant Smoke on property
September 4, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Sonoco. Safety is (and always will be) our #1 priority and we're thrilled to hear about the positive safety culture at this plant. We welcome any additional feedback you might have at connect@sonoco.com - thank you again!

Review
Temporary Accountant (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILAugust 26, 2018
Overall fun place to work but not a lot of opportunity for growth in the finance department. Great effort in trying to make safety first. management very focused on making money not employees.
Dont work in elk grove location
Slitter Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILAugust 15, 2018
do not work in that place they do not have good benefits the bosses are Mexican and they do not want to let people only do they want they do not have good benefits they only help those who are family or friends of the supervisors those are the ones who have better positions do not have sickdays they only give a 2.5 percent of your increase check per year work or not that is what they give they are always pressing you for that they are looking for people because they are not going to because they are not good
buen ambiente laboral
Balanceo de líneas de producción (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAAugust 14, 2018
desarrollo de habilidades , crecimiento laboral, oportunidad de estudiar.
Pros
sgmm
Cons
turnos
Windows IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCAugust 12, 2018
Good work culture and environment. Knowledgeable peers and good interaction with team members. Supported and represented well by management. Opportunity to travel around the world with supporting the various divisions and plants.
Large multinational corporate headquarters in a small Southern town
Not a good place for advancement
Line Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 12, 2018
Sonoco doesn't give everyone the same opportunity for advancement. Only family of VP's are given opportunities to advance even if they are less qualified. People of color are often looked over.
Pros
Great compensation and great at recycling
Cons
To much favoritism when hiring or promoting especially with family members of senior management
Run..Forest Run
Production (Former Employee) –  Jackson TNAugust 9, 2018
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. This place has the potential to be a great place to work if they weed out the BAD which will never happen. Night shift is like middle school. Only thing missing is a yellow bus...sad place for an ADULT. It’s stressful enough that you hardly get to see your family. Then you have to go to “work” at a daycare with GROWN children.
Pros
Getting off work
Cons
Going to work..
August 17, 2018

Thank you for sharing your review. We take concerns regarding how our business operates seriously. We are company that thrives on teamwork and believe in providing a safe, caring and fulfilling work environment. We would appreciate hearing more about your experience at connect@sonoco.com

The People In there Always Want to Tell U What U Doing Wrong instead Of What u Doing Right They never Hove Uu Ir Props for Working hard.
Duracell Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAAugust 8, 2018
I Would Go In Get On My Forklift Start Grabbing pallets I need out the steel . Also I would That the pallets to the Dofferent lines that’s inside Duracell Warehouse. Everything was Great everyday Til one of the Head People Feel they can Talk to you any kind of way
work life balance where?
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJAugust 6, 2018
There is no plan to alleviate the the weekend work that happens 3 weekends a month on average. The plant should be converted to a 7 day 24 hour operation but instead employees over extended with hours.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work life balance
August 17, 2018

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. Providing a safe, caring and fulfilling work environment is one of our core Promises to our Teammates at Sonoco. We follow a principle that we win by hard work, teamwork and perseverance, and we strive to continually grow & improve. We would appreciate hearing more about your experience so that we can honor those principles & promises. Please feel free to reach out at connect@sonoco.com

Very happy here
packer (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OHAugust 3, 2018
This plant has come a long way in the past year. Some of the people holding it back are now gone. The current management is doing an excellent job of engaging employees and listening to their concerns. I have finally found a place that I feel cares about me as a person. Most people are great to work with. I like feeling like I make a difference every day. I am trusted to do my job.
Pros
Great management, stable employer
Cons
Small plant, advancement opportunities are challenging
Recycling agent
Recycling agent, Raleigh (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 3, 2018
• Checking that all mater different of paper have been put out of the conveyor belt
• Cleaning the work area by sweeping
• cleaning and maintaining equipment
• Inspecting materials for any contamination
August 17, 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review! We appreciate your time and hard work!

Good job to work at just a lot of politics
Inventory/ Assistant Lead (Current Employee) –  Fairburn, GAAugust 2, 2018
this job is better than a lot of places < its just sometimes they put the wrong people in good positions, when i started i thought we a lot of oppertunity but as time went on i found out different

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoco. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss