Sonoran Desert Institute

Sonoran Desert Institute Employee Reviews

Sonoran Desert Institute insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Remote Work

If you like to work from home, the flexibility is great! We have weekly zoom meetings. It is a very repetitive job. You will get many leads and will make a lot of phone calls.

Pros

Work from home, low pressure admissions

Cons

Low pay, to small for advancement, repetitive job.

Flexibility

You have a great deal of flexibility in how you approach and engage the classroom. You can log in at any time and get to learn something new all the time.

Pros

Incentives and efforts to include everyone

Cons

Some requirements that haven’t been fully thought through

Amazing environment

SDI is an amazing company. The culture is very open and everyone really feels like a family. Co workers are great and provide assistance and guidance. The leadership listens and implement changes collectively and with the entire team in mind. This is definitely one of the best places to work.

Toxic work area and you are NEVER right!

If you like never being right, getting called names, working in a hostile work environment, working with a horrible online system, working with fake people, getting different messages by the same person, working for people that have no education, but educate others; then this is the place for you. The Director, and everyone that is full time is a director or above, is an aggressive person that finds joy in being difficult to others. The students think they should walk in and get an A for breathing, do not want to learn, know it all and do not treat this like a higher education. Having said that, it isn't. Most of the staff does not have an education and think they are teaching at Harvard instead of an ONLINE gunsmith degree program.

Toxic Working Environment

There is a limit as to what you can and cannot state on this website so my recommendation is that you conduct your research and look for other websites where employees and former employees can post complete reviews. The most popular of those other websites allows employees and former employees to post truthful reviews, often scathing in nature, and this is what you need to read. I worked at Sonoran Desert Institute over a year. The leadership team of this academic institution does not hold doctorate degrees and most do not hold prior higher education experience. Someone was recently promoted to an advanced leadership position with an associate's degree. Someone else was promoted with a degree in geology. Academic standards, such as "substantive interaction between instructors and students" (as required by the DEAC) is not upheld, which means instructors do not participate in class discussions and provide little to no feedback for assignments. This school is still operating as a correspondence school and the owners just sold it. I have nothing positive to state about this online firearms school.

Pros

You Can Work Remotely

Cons

Everything Else

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Sonoran Desert Institute was a school

Sonoran Desert Institute was an excellant school in which I learned several skills relating to fixing, upgrading, diagnosing, and accurizing various weapon platforms

Valuable Online Teaching Learned

I learned how to successfully budget my time teaching an online business course. Even though my students were 100% online, I was able to get to get to know them through weekly interactions with them. Management was always supportive; there if I ever had a question. The culture was relaxed. The most enjoyable part of the was helping the students achieve their goals and move forward in their degrees.

Great School.

I enjoyed going to school here. The aids that were sent were exceptional. Great student to teacher ratio. They helped make learning more of a thirst for the next semester to begin.

Start-up college with opportunity for progression

Veteran and military friendly college that specializes in Gunsmithing and Firearms technology. Exciting career opportunities for graduating students in aforementioned industries.

Pros

work from home

Cons

start-up, no processes in place

Positive and Rewarding Online Math Teaching Experience

Personalized and rewarding experience teaching Business Math for Sonoran Desert Institute. I enjoy working with the students and providing assistance and guidance as they complete their course. I typically open up my email in the morning and check for any updates or email from my students. I check with the Institute for any new announcements and/or new students. I always check my grade book in the morning to see how students are progressing and contact students, congratulating them on a test well done or offering assistance if they have scored lower than 70%. I have received wonderful email from students once they have completed the course!

Pros

Can work at my own time around my own schedule

Cons

I do not have any cons regarding my position.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sonoran Desert Institute?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoran Desert Institute. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Sonoran Desert Institute Reviews by Location