Sony Interactive Entertainment Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Shift Lead (Dispatcher) (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 1, 2018
was an enjoyable experience fun place to work with a heavy customer service job but all around great experience full of amazing people to work with, i made a lot of growth in my field and gained lots of experience as well.
Pros
benefits and people
Cons
n/a
None.
Director, Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CASeptember 24, 2018
I enjoyed my 15 years at SIE, and was able to build an entire internal audit team from scratch, adding considerable value to Sony Playstation. I have many colleagues who will remain life-long friends.
Fun place to work
QA Engineer (Contract) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2018
Great name on your resume, plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. We don`t have many perks in SF office such as free lunches, snacks etc, but we do have pop-up sales twice a year
Pros
pop-up sales
Sony is a big name... That's about it
Manager of total chaos and bad planning (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2018
I always try being positive in these reviews however I find it difficult on this one. To give a summary of life at Sony Interactive, don't plan on having one. The mentality around here is that your shift is 10 to 12 hours. You are pressured to stay and no extra compensation is ever given. Nights and weekends are almost always. Projects are not planned properly and often require last minute 'all hands on deck' to get it out and in the end, you get run down and get no personal time. Sony accepts the attrition (and actually plans for it) instead of fixing the underlying issues.

There is no work from home, there is no work/life balance, the pay is good however it is better at the other companies that do the same type of work. Overall, if you are young and have no family, this may work for you. I you want any personal time I would really consider looking somewhere else as this may really get in the way of your life instead of propel it.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits. Free food when they make you work 12+ hours
Cons
extremely long hours, no respect for employees, poor planing, Leadership needs things done their way and are not open to ideas
Not the best place for a contractor
Sr. Technical Writer (contract) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2018
I worked there as a contract technical writer. There was a definite lack of understanding (in the department in which I worked) as to how technical publications works. There was a lack of direction and although most SMEs were cooperative, some were almost hostile.
Pros
Free lunch once/week
Cons
Very closed and prone to cliques.
Sr. Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 21, 2018
I have found my time at Sony Interactive Entertainment to be overall enjoyable. There is room for improvement, especially with their new hire on-boarding.
Pros
Access to fun events, on-site gym, and discounts on products and services.
Cons
Lack of mobility.
Good Work Environment
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2018
Good environment to learn and improve your skills. Great knowledgeable developers. Management could be better. Alot of nepotism and politics, not alot of upward career mobility available.
Pros
Cafeteria, nice building with parking structure, gym access
Cons
Office politics
Unique Culture
CRM and Paid Media Analytics Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 15, 2018
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) has a lot of potential, but it will probably not realize it, as it is mired in politics and bureaucracy. There are a lot of smart and passionate people and some really good intellectual property (IP), but resources are allocated inefficiently and inconsistently and there is virtually no transparency or accountability. I believe that a lot of this stems from the differences among Japanese, British and American (Silicon Valley) management styles and expectations. Japanese expect hierarchical deference and 3 year strategic plans, while Americans are innovative, disruptive and irreverent and the Brits somewhere in between. So, it is difficult for Japanese management to allow decentralized ideation and data-driven decision-making to flatten the typical power dynamic (which has traditionally helped to maintain and control large organizations like Sony Corp). So, if you can navigate the personal relationships and be quite patient, you may find success in this culturally-complex global enterprise. I believe that each culture can learn from the other and the combined result can be a source of competitive advantage, but at this point it just seems like there is a lot of contradiction and misalignment.
Pros
Smart people, good market position and IP, work-life balance
Cons
Disorganized and inconsistently managed
intresting and inspire to others
Play tester (Former Employee) –  San Francisco,CaliforniaJuly 9, 2018
it was fun and relaxing able to do the job more frequent, I like how everything organized for me to do what was needed to complete my objective when i was their
Pros
free lunches
Cons
dull personality
Great people and great place to work
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2018
Working the last 10 years for Sony has been a great experience. Having the opportunity to work with some of the best developers and artist in the business has taught me a lot about team building, working/collaborating with a large team and helped me grow as a leader.
Like the culture
Finance & Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 22, 2018
I enjoyed my time a sony. I found the culture and the people supportive, unfortunately, they use a lot of contractors. Additionally, reorganizations are constent.
nice work place
Corporate Security Officer G4S (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 9, 2018
amazing place to work i really enjoyed my time here as an officer. I would recommend people to work for this company and if possibvle move up in rank and retire
OK job but not for advancement in career.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 9, 2018
Sony's tech stack is average, they are not eager to jump on to new technologies.

Advancement is difficult due to management's lack of interest in training nor interest in promoting employees in their interests.

Job is stable since Playstation is doing excellent for the past 5 years.
Steady pay increase and descent bonus based on individual yearly performance. No equity.

Descent benefits. The health plan isn't the best and it will come out of your paycheck. Some companies do pay 100% of the insurance but not Sony Interactive.

It isn't stellar job but its above average, however, if you have passion for technology it isn't the best place for it.

There is also favoritism in the work culture.
Pros
Stable job.
Cons
Lack of promotion or lack of management's interest in the employees career path.
Great Place To Work
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 30, 2018
Working at SIE was a great opportunity for me. I was able to learn a lot more about the corporate structure and learned a lot more about enterprise level IT.
Pros
Able to work with people making a video game
fun place to work
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 15, 2018
Gaming company so the culture reflects that.
good work life balance, even though some days are long and exhausting but its like that anywhere when it gets busy. Work hard, play hard.
No place for advancement
Sr. System Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2018
few years ago when I started, the company had a lot of room to grow individuals careers. However, in the last 4 years management has changed and the new managers brought "their own people". Since then, it is very difficult to advance. You can move between positions but in parallel not up (in most cases).
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Under appreciated
Fun Place
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 28, 2018
This office and company is great enough that I am, in all seriousness, almost superstitious about posting about how great it is.

Things just seem to be done so *rationally* here, and *reasonably* too. Workplace politics that I have come to deal with at other places are relatively nonexistent. Even the IT is well-thought-out *and* executed.

The management is doing a fine job of keeping a company both focused and flexible. The flexibility can also make work a bit difficult, in that other groups can change personnel and teams without that knowledge propagating easily.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people who are universally interested in learning and applying knowledge to an overall task that's pretty hard to argue with - getting people good jobs.
Productive environment dedicated to well-being of Employees
LEGAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 7, 2018
A great place to work. My management was great (hands off but always available for questions). They invest in the mental well-being of employees and have fun events weekly for launches.
Engineering management is way too bad, too much politics
client engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 24, 2017
Its a hardware company with a long established culture and its a Japanese. Very little transparency, lots of politics and very hierarchical. Very hard to achieve anything, no clear responsibilities, clear fails announced as wins, nobody says truth, very few people want (in management) want to hear truth.
Pros
Work-life balance is good
Cons
Growth opportunities are very limited
Most departments are good
Sound Design and Dialog Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAOctober 9, 2017
My manager was terrible and there was no room for advancement.
Some teams are wonderful. Most folks are passionate and good to work with. Hit or miss on management strengths.
Pros
Discounts on Sony hardware/software
Cons
Game business demands cycles of extreme overtime