Sony Music Entertainment Employee Reviews

Fast pace environment.
Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJJuly 6, 2018
Typical day would consist of cleaning DVD/CD printing machine to begin, set up computer for individual printing assignments and complete all orders in a timely manner.
Very enjoyable to work with Sony Music Corp.
Management and fellow emplyees were enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Exceptional pay scale with great advancement opportunities.
Cons
12 hour day/night rotating shifts
good experience
Executive Protection Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2018
you get to work around the set. you understand how the film industry works. This can build on being your niche and making connections on the set due to professionalism.
Digital music rules
Global Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2018
I learned a lot. I was able to work close with marketing and business development. The people were open to collaboration. One negative is that it's typical in the music industry for the top brass to rule the roost and not leave their positions. Hard for junior people to advance, but you will learn a lot.
Enjoyable place to work
Manager, credit admin (Current Employee) –  Rutherford, NJJune 6, 2018
totally enjoy my time spent here and would gladly do it again. a creative environment with challenge provided to assist in growing and learning is always the goal.
Pros
great management
Cons
none known
Sony Music Entertainment is on top for a reason
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2018
This position offered me invaluable skills in the music industry. I gained wonderful communication and networking skills while helping to forward the agenda of the company.
You'll love it here
Licensing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 7, 2018
Amazing company. Tons of room for growth and development. Wonderful people with an eagerness to learn and be the best of the best. I'm looking forward to my future here
Incredible Company
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
Working for Columbia Records, Sony Music is as exciting as any job. No day is the same, and working in such a creative environment makes for great people.
Having fun during the work time
Administrative Assistant to VP/General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 26, 2018
It is a place where everyone works for the same purpose. It does not matter if you do public relations, promotions on radio, in-stores or sales ... the important thing is to give support to the artist you are representing.
A lot of experience gained.
Columbia Records A&R Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2018
Positive atmosphere. A lot of mentoring offered. Very productive environment. I would have stayed if they offered more full time positions. A lot of areas for networking.
Fun working environment
Metadata/Royalty Analyst (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 12, 2018
Management is great, there is a lot to learn. However, there is not much opportunity to grow.
It is a really great place to gain experience prior going out on the market.
Wonderful company
Copyright Coordinator/Promotion Asst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
Fantastic place to work, competitive salary, advancement opportunities, positive work enviornment, supportive management, hardest part of the job was being in the business during an unstable period and dealing with mergers and layoffs.
Productive great place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJApril 4, 2018
Sony was a great company to work.the money was great there 41k was great.they trained me well.everyone was always nice.if they didn't close I'd still be there
Pros
Great pay
Cons
They closed
Don't let the name fool you!
Director A&R, Management (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMarch 19, 2018
I enjoyed time working for Sony mostly because of the perks. Free gym, classes, occasional concerts, and vendor fairs. But the overall business atmosohere, its managers, and HR people were not helpful at all. You are treated as just another number.
Pros
Movie studio lot acces, lots of cool movie memorabilia, movie theater on campus, great food in the cafeteria, nice new offices, ample parking, the assistants, cleaning staff and security are all very friendly
Cons
No executive development, HR doesn't bother trying to do anything that will help employees grow into great leaders, they'd rather hire you then fire you then find someone newer to do your job for cheap, nobody could even answer simple questions about compensation plans or raises or bonus', upper management also doesn't define clear goals for their employees to achieve
Nice place for work
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  BogotaMarch 17, 2018
Really a typical day at woe was very funny and creative.
It´s excellent workplace culture.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when speak whit famous singers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
nothing
Fun place to work
Telecommunication Technician (Former Employee) –  550 Madison ave. NYCMarch 6, 2018
Very busy non stop work days.
Learned so much from the people I worked with
Workplace culture was very busy
Hardest part of the job was the hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with.
cool internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
great team of people, got to practice my skills. great school projects. had fun working on set and with the magazine team. management was great........
Watch your back.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rutherford, NJ 07070February 23, 2018
Looking at Sony from the outside, the place seems like a great place to work: Casual dress code, ok benefits, ok hours, free swag. But beneath the gloss, you see how unhappy people are there. Both offices in New York and New Jersey have an open space work environment, meaning you work in a large room at a desk with little storage space, surrounded by other people all day long, so you have no privacy. They promote this as a "creative environment" but it's just a way of saving money by shoving as many people on a floor as possible and being able to keep an eye on everyone. The people who do have offices tend to be self-important air heads. The big chiefs are treated like GOD while everyone is as disposable as tissue paper. Not everyone is like this of course, but it appears to be rule rather than the exception. A typical day at work consists of attempting to do your job and making sure everyone knows how great you are. What I learned is that if you are not liked, you will not last, no matter how good your work is. Management, for the most part, is clueless and suffer from "Ground Hog Day" syndrome, meaning they seem to try to reinvent the wheel over and over every day. The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out if I was in good with the boss so I knew my job was secure. To my surprise, even after I went above and beyond my duties, I was let go. This is a good place to start out your career, but unless you look like a movie star (and act like one), you won't last long. While I was there, many departments turned over.
Pros
Free merchandise.
Cons
Short lunch, no privacy, The Boss.
This was an awesome place to work great co-workers
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
This was a nice atmosphere we worked hard but it was a very rewarding place to work. My time at Sony Music was 15 years but it was a place that I would highly recommend.
Pros
great working environment
Very good
Entertainer (Current Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 11, 2018
Sony is the best place 2 be pure quality very professional and overall the best tbat did it there would never be another like ot i look foward to the futire of sony
Pros
I love the way im pamperd
Cons
Overall great
Great company to work for at great location.
Global Wireless Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Manager always says to finish the job in proper ways and no rush. Help was always available from manager. Once a week meeting to go over existing process and also discuss new.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Music Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sony Music Entertainment.

Powered by Comparably