Sony Music Entertainment Employee Reviews

A first time experience in the music industry
Intern, Brand Partnerships (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2019
I really enjoyed coming in every day to work. Hearing music all day along with working on material relating to artists on the label was a dream come true. Every day presented a new opportunity to learn more about the industry.
Pros
beautiful location, nice co-workers, encouraged to ask questions
Cons
some days are slow
Open Floor Plan
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 22, 2019
Typical Music Industry environment. Company is currently thriving and has recently restructured some departments. Growth opportunities exist, but are very competitive.
Legacy Family
Artist Relations |Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Legacy and the people at this catalog record label, were more like a family than work colleagues. We collaborated on projects, looked out for one another and delivered incredible product and service to our artists. It was a true pleasure to work here!
Excellent company to work with.
Sr. Manager - Ad Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2018
Excellent work Culture with ample opportunities to grow within. Company who cares about the employees and provides the freedom to experiment the new ideas in challenging environment.
Great place to work during the heyday
Sales Publications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2018
Loved working at Sony during my time there. Met tons of music artists. Saw tons of free concerts and showcases. Got tons of free CD's and promotional swag.
great experience
Digital Marketing Intern-Urban Catalog (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2018
My supervisors helped me a lot. We had 1on1 once a week. This helped me create a bond with them, that I will forever cherish. The interns were super friendly and were happy to be there.
Pros
amazing people
Cons
nothing at all
Dead End Job
Production Analyst New Media (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2018
Some managers were ok, others were just completely unprofessional and/or way in over their heads.
A lot of people that were not qualified for the job got promotions as long as they partied all the time with managers.
Pros
Cool building. Some departments are ok
Cons
read above
Very productive and great place to have worked
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAOctober 25, 2018
I truly was blessed to have had this career at Sony Music. I was very sad when the company relocated. I am definitely seeking another chance to work in a manufacturing warehouse or facility. I am eager to be apart of American Red Cross.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Job relocated
Loved Sony!!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2018
The people and work environment was amazing and I will always be grateful for my experience at Sony and I wouldn't think twice about going back. Sony is a great place to work!
good
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
a good company with generous PTOs. lots of growth is possible. not much feedback or structured feedback given by HR. wish there was more conversations with management
work hard, play hard
Director of Events and Conventions (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 2, 2018
This company provides a very family oriented environment while working together to get the job done. There is a lot of time spent together in and outside of the office and during events, plus the open workspace provides for a lot of free communication. Really brings the "Work hard, Play hard" phrase come to life.
It is a good company great benefits and extrovert enviroment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 12, 2018
It is a great and fun company to work, It is interesting to meet your favorite artist and have a more personal approach.

I learned about music, about what is behind the music curtains.

Most difficult part is being part of the show business.

What I really liked the most was to travel to different countries and cities and met the people.
Pros
Health Insurance, christmas break, lots of holidays.
Cons
Salaries are not the best
Working at Sony was a great learning experience
College Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 7, 2018
I worked at Sony remotely for a little over a year as a College Marketing Representative. I learned a great deal of skills and information regarding online and physical marketing strategies and the music business in general. I would recommend applying for this position to anyone who is interested in expanding their network and developing skills relevant to music promotion and marketing.
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 1, 2018
It's been a while since I was at Sony but it was big fun and wonderful people, until new management came it. A job is a large part, who you work with and for. When it's not a good team or family you have to separate yourself.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Not enough pay.
Great atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
Sony Music has a great atmosphere for new employees but like any company it is important who you know. It can be an exciting place to work and in some areas there are tremendous opportunities for advancement however others are stagnant.
Pros
Fun atmosphere full of music
Cons
No advancement in certain departments
It's ok
Scheduled artist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2018
My experience with their head of distribution was ok. Yet Timo was very unprofessional. He lacked in communication and did not stick to his appointments.
Great industry, friendly environment, great ,management. Stress free.
migration assistant, lead, and liaison (Current Employee) –  Flatiron Point, NYJuly 10, 2018
Great industry, friendly environment, great ,management. I enjoyed the people i work with, the area is great and the environment is pretty stress free.
Pros
Love my job
Cons
Contract work, no benefits.
Fast pace environment.
Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJJuly 6, 2018
Typical day would consist of cleaning DVD/CD printing machine to begin, set up computer for individual printing assignments and complete all orders in a timely manner.
Very enjoyable to work with Sony Music Corp.
Management and fellow emplyees were enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Exceptional pay scale with great advancement opportunities.
Cons
12 hour day/night rotating shifts
good experience
Executive Protection Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2018
you get to work around the set. you understand how the film industry works. This can build on being your niche and making connections on the set due to professionalism.
Digital music rules
Global Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2018
I learned a lot. I was able to work close with marketing and business development. The people were open to collaboration. One negative is that it's typical in the music industry for the top brass to rule the roost and not leave their positions. Hard for junior people to advance, but you will learn a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Music Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sony Music Entertainment.

Powered by Comparably