Sony Pictures Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work, but difficult to move up
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Culver CityNovember 7, 2018
This was an amazing starter job for the entertainment industry. In the mailroom I learned how the studio system works and what are all the jobs that the studio offers. However, the pay was terrible and moving out of the mailroom is practically impossible--all the administrative assistant jobs go to the interns.
fun with no work/life balance
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 7, 2018
fun, fast paced and exciting. fun employee perks and engagment. cool campus. long work hours. crazy managers. bounding with department as family. free movies. employee discount. high energy.
Great Benefits and great content
Associate Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 6, 2018
Lots of new content being developed at Sony. Unfortunately, with the new management, a lot of things will be changing in the near future. It'll be interesting to see where the Television group ends up.
Great company to work for although they are outsourcing like crazy
SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 27, 2018
Much of the financial business is being moved offshore. IT is almost all ousourced now. They are adopting agile processes and have struggled a little gaining efficiencies from them. They are embracing services and new technologies as well as automated testing and continuous development practices.
Showbiz and LA
Production Coordinatoe (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 25, 2018
Working in film is the most bizarre and singular working experience available in the US. I had a blast and learned many incredibly valuable skills. If you want to work in film prepare for a feast and famine workflow and the imperative of hustle.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 24, 2018
I loved working at Sony. We had a lot of amenities on the lot; such as a free gym, commissaries, coffee shops, emporiums, etc. Great place to work. Really good vibes. Exciting environment to be in. Every company will have its struggles with management, finances, etc. But I loved that Sony had a strong HR group that made it their prerogative to better the organization. Friendly people. Lots of energy. Great vibes all day everyday .
Pros
Free lunch, decent health insurance
Cons
long hours and No breaks on busy days
Good Place
Assistant Manager, Walmart Retail Services (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 22, 2018
Good place, lots of great people and met tons of strong managers. Toward the tale end I had a horrible manager and that was the cause of my departure.
Using perks to cover up shortcomings...
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Inwood, NYOctober 8, 2018
The title says it all... company uses freebies and food to placate not paying its employees what they should be paid. Work was also highly unorthodox yet repetitive, almost mind-numbing.
Pros
Bbqs, end of the year holiday parties, free random breakfasts/lunches
Cons
Low pay, no raise or yearly increase, unpaid holidays, no overtime
Fun experience working on big projects
Sr. Production Services Technician (DevOps) (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CASeptember 19, 2018
Fun Experience working on major film projects , at times we could go into "crunch mode" having to work 10 plus hours a day but that is expected in the industry. Only reason I decided to leave was because the jobs were leaving the area and going to Canada.
Decent health insurance
Production Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
Sony provides decent health insurance for non-union contract workers on their television shows. The pay is comparable to other studios and can be negotiated.
Pros
Free lunch, decent health insurance
Cons
No breaks, long hours

Want to know more about Sony Pictures?

Ask a question
Fun and lively workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CASeptember 5, 2018
I loved working at Sony. We had a lot of amenities on the lot; such as a free gym, commissaries, coffe shops, emporiums, etc. Great place to work. Really good vibes. Exciting environment to be in. Every company will have its struggles with management, finances, etc. But I loved that Sony had a strong HR group that made it their prerogative to better the organization. Friendly people. Lots of energy. Great vibes all day everyday :)
Blow average content and studio
Coordinator GMS (Current Employee) –  Culver CityAugust 26, 2018
Similar to the content distributed Sony Pictures is average at best. Its culture isn't one for promoting within nor for rewarding extra effort. Most managers expect their teams to work very hard for little thanks or recognition and with cost savings as the top priority a 'you can be replaced' mentality has permeated.

Go elsewhere.
Pros
studio
Cons
Average at best. Not a place to grow
Kind of boring
Global Operations Manager - Latin America (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 20, 2018
They love meetings at Sony. Sometimes we'd have a 30 minutes meeting about the 5 minute meeting we were about to have. They stall at making basic decisions in a timely manner
Pros
401K, health
Cons
Meetings, meetings
Corporate Culture
COORDINATOR, CLIENT OPS (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 15, 2018
Picture cubicles and mildly friendly faces as far as the eye can see. It's a place that runs on bad coffee, email blasts, and acronyms galore. But the pay and benefits are decent!
rating: B-
Photo Editor
Photo Editor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 13, 2018
Probably one of the worst places I've ever worked. The management seems unwilling to change and exploits their lower end workers. The company itself pays well but you have to deal with the bad company culture which makes you question whether the pay is worth it.
stuio work
Producer (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 7, 2018
Sony would either buy my films or finance them, With strict approval, we were still able to deliver films that made them a lot of money. Working with them elevated my career and my films.
Pros
makes good films
Cons
strict rules
It used to be great
Distribution (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 6, 2018
Too many layoffs happening. There is no such thing as job security right now. Employees are very confused, so many lay offs and changes are happening and employees don't know when it will stop. Too much politics.
Sony is a great place to work and grow
Coordinator, Music Business Affairs Group (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 21, 2018
As a Coordinator at Sony Pictures in the Music Group, Clearance and Licensing, we were a dedicated, small, team working to keep our current TV and Film productions compliant with their productions.

We serviced nearly 60 productions at any given time and managed every aspect of music and licensing deliverables on a daily basis.

In my time there, I learned the importance of time management, team work, and accountability.
Pros
EBRG's, Creative Atmosphere
Cons
Challenging leadership culture at times and in select departments
Not the right fit for me but a good place
Manager, Field Publicity & Marketing Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 9, 2018
Coming from a large, thriving company, the culture felt secretive and separatist. Not a good fit for me, but it might be great for someone transitioning from a small company or someone who prefers less collaboration. Also there are some very smart people I felt lucky to meet.
I worked many years there and if HR and management does not like you, you will never get a new job
Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2018
I think this is one of the most political biased places a worker could go to. Great if your an ex or manager, awful to be a worker, union is even worse if that is possible
Pros
A job
Cons
No advancement, awful management and really hard to get a better job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Pictures. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sony Pictures.

Powered by Comparably