Sound Mental Health Employee Reviews

Loved workimg here even if it was a contract situation
Family Resources & Support (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 7, 2019
Great people to work with, loved dealing with kids . I felt I made a big difference in MANY lives...I have kids coming back and thanking me who are now adults. Truly loved this place!!
Pros
To many to list
Cons
Not enough hours
Unappreciated and under-paid!
Residential Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 24, 2019
Under staffed, Unappreciated, some racist co-workers, High turn-over Rate, No advancements, Client care is not a priority for all Team members/Case Management. Every job is stressful but you would be ready to pull your hair out at the end of each day.
Pros
Client Appreciation
Cons
High Turn-Over
Great experiences with clients, not with management
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 12, 2019
Sound is becoming more corporate, has less care for marginalized clients, more paperwork/ documentation requirements all the time, and poor employee benefits. A place to start, not for very experienced clinicians.
The peer environment made up for the community mental health work.
THERAPIST & CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 24, 2019
It's community mental health, so it's tough. Much of my job as a therapist was to help people with case management type activities. The people made it an enjoyable place to be.
Not sustainable
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 17, 2019
I loved the colleagues I worked with and learned from them, management ignored concerns, took things personally, workplace was toxic due to micro management. The hardest part of the job was being unable to help clients because clinician case loads were incredibly high and staying on top of the workload as well as providing quality care was impossible. Yet the agency was continuously enrolling new clients adding more clients to the already over 100 client case loads. High turn over is another hard part of the job because it is more than losing a team member, it is losing a friend, and family member. As if that isn't hard enough remaining clinicians need to take on more roles and more responsibilities to compensate for lack of clinicians.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Toxic environment, extremely high caseloads, high turn over, have to compensate for lack of clinicians, not all managers are licensed due to this it is hard to obtain licensure supervision, low pay
Not very good organization
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAFebruary 24, 2019
They waste the Tax payers $$ serious waste, not focused on really helping customers.
Culture is too judgmental and very non-professional.
I do not recommend
Good community mental health agency
Lead Clinician (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 9, 2019
I have learned a lot here and have had the honor of working with many wonderful people. I am grateful to have had the experience of working here and serving the population that we serve.
Difficult work and very little pay
Child & Family Services Clinician (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAOctober 24, 2018
It is a good place to build hours towards licensure, obtain trainings, build a team of support, gain experience with various systems from schools to the legal system and with with hospitals.
Pros
Paid trainings to a degree, reimbursement for mileage
Cons
Large caseloads, low pay
Fast paced, a lot to learn.
COD counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 24, 2018
This was an internship getting my hours for licensure, there was a lot to learn, this was a good environment for doing so. There is definitely a need for their services in the community.
Unreasonable case loads and they just heap more on
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
They give you more clients than anyone could reasonably handle because they are more interested in meeting budget goals than servicing clients. When people leave they heap their clients on you and they give you more new clients and none come off your caseload when new people get hired.
Pros
Good training funds and great team members I guess the "fighting in the trenches" brings you close.
Cons
Horrendous case loads, average pay and job scope just gets bigger every year as they cut support staff
Coordinator Housing Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 30, 2018
This is a job for the strong minded which I was capable of doing. Dealing with regular maintenance work and the mentally ill at the same time. This was also a fun job and I got to meet many walks of life. I feel I was an asset to the company before the position went away.
Pros
Very busy and interesting.
Cons
Very stressful at times.
A Place To Start
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA 98052August 29, 2018
I had a bad manager. But when I left I did an exit interview with the CEO. He looked into the situation as he promised and the situation was rectified. It seems to be a decent place to work today. I was impressed with the CEO of the company as I was only there a few months. He was honest with me in the exit interview and I felt fairly treated. The hardest part of the job was a manager that should not have been in that position. Once the problem was brought to light, it was resolved quickly.
Cons
Unfortunately a bad manager at the time.
Great place to gain experience.
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 23, 2018
I was well supported by my supervisor and manager in the Older Adult Services department. I am grateful I was able to work at Sound a few times during my career. I learned how to be a better therapist as well as how to manage a large caseload/paperwork requirements.
Supportive supervisor but hard work
Clinical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 18, 2018
Community mental health is a low-pay career, but the rewards personally and professionally were significant. I was able to meet my goal of becoming a licensed mental health counselor.
good job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMay 2, 2018
Great place to work at. The job can get a little overwhelming with the amount of work that they expect one person to do. The job has good benefits, and they care about their employees.
Great people; poor management
Health Information Management, Capitol Hill campus (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 4, 2018
Great people; poor management
New executive team working to implement positive organization changes.
Typical non-profit bureaucracy and frustrations
Rewording work based on behalf of the agency's mission to serve the underprivileged.
Big Pharma puppets
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 24, 2018
No real help for patients. Pill mill and over medicated patients. No concern for people getting BETTER. They stay the same enduring terrible side effects from drugs.
Cons
Pill mill
Very stress and very sad to witness the lack of care clients recieve
Counselor/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 28, 2018
Upper management cares more about their image than clinicians and clients. Recently, a massive amount of money was spent on rebranding, advertising and trainings that was mostly aimed at management. They invested zero in the clinicians or their compensation. Don’t be fooled by the sign on bonus. It is a way to get people in but they are doing nothing substantial to keep them, as evedenced by all the job openings. If you enjoy endless amount of redundant paperwork, stress that never ends, poor pay and delivering dismal mental health care to the people who need it most—Sound is the place for you.
Pros
Nice staff to work with
Cons
Terrible pay, caseload overwhelming
N/a
Clinician/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 5, 2017
Have been there for brief time. Fun and supportive atmosphere. Compensation is horrible. Supervision that counts toward licensure is difficult to come by.
Huge caseload with very little supervision
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 29, 2017
I had a caseload of 115 and only 10 hours of supervision in 8 months. Admin positions are paid better than clinicians. Pay is unbelievably low. That said, I had a wonderful manager who was way overworked and underpaid, and still supported staff very well.
Pros
One super great manager
Cons
terrible pay, too little supervision, huge caseload, poor benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sound Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Sound Mental Health Reviews by Location