South Austin Medical Center Employee Reviews

Fast pace environment
OR Circulating Nurse-RN (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2018
Fast pace environment with great support. Love my team/colleagues and management team. Enjoyable place to work. Opportunities for advancement and ability to join sub-groups to further career opportunities. Free CEs and healthcare related classes.
Worst place ,low salary .
Ultrasound Tech (Former Employee) –  AustinMarch 12, 2018
Low salary, ultrasound supervisor the worst supervisor I've had in my work history. Bad training in a week they expect you to be ready. Fifteen ultrasounds at night plus a million things.You are not even have time to take your break . As an ultrasound technician they expect you to do everything, vascular, abdomen, OB, gynecology, pediatric, procedures and plus. Old and heavy machines and old and obsolete systems. My worst experience in my professional career.
notoriously bad management
Radiological Technologist (Former Employee) –  South Austin Medical CenterJanuary 31, 2018
Strike this one from your list. Oppressive management, horrible pay, cliquish environment. The commercials are laughable: "The best is here." Actually the new grad right out of school is your ICU nurse, because they can't find anyone to accept the pittance they pay. Same with all departments. For-profit institution, with shareholders the only ones smiling.
Not at all a good place for employment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  LaboratoryOctober 15, 2017
I was hired to work the Lab,firstly management lied about positions and promise opportunity only to have warm bodies on staff,poorly trained, quick ro update schedule routinely and place your availability as theres...very inconsiderate management and have no value of employees...Phlebotomist morale extremely low!!
Its a revolving door due to poor management!
Dont waste your time if your seriously looking for stable employment.
Pros
Co workers great Nurses and ED Staff
Cons
Low pay....low appreciation of staff....30 min breaks on 10 hr shift...cant even drink water!!
Not as good as it used to be
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2017
When I first started working at SAMC I loved it there! The staff was awesome and the culture was great! Since starting we have gotten a new director and a new manager. Neat perks like coffee cards and meal cards are no longer given out and the cafeteria now closes after 7pm, so night shift only has access to vending machines. Definitely seems like they only care about management doctors, and day shift. Staff morale is low and we are now always short staffed due to an inability to fills spots faster then the staff is quitting.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
poor pay, poor benefits, no cafeteria and always short staffed
Very organized and professional
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2017
I've been working here a year and it's been the best experience that I've had in a long time and I would like to continue working here for years to come.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Get put on call to often
Awful!!! Run in the other direction!!!!
RT (Former Employee) –  South Austin, TXJuly 4, 2017
I was severely underpaid. We were frighteningly under staffed at all times. The manager was crazy! They posted their old furniture for sale in our department. Management was rude, belittling and out of touch with reality. Management blamed other employees for the high turnover rate. We ran out supplies, blankets, you name it all the time! The nurses were rude and unprofessional. I felt like I put my license on the line every time I clocked in. Various doctors could not practice anywhere else because other hospital had revoked their privileges, yet there they were at SAMC. It was like working in hades.
Pros
Nothing worth mentioning
Cons
Expensive health insurance
Stressful. Did now enjoy the experience.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2017
Working in the capacity that I did, working 12 hour shifts. Taking 2 buses to get to work made if even more stressful. Not the facilities fault. Overall the experience was just too difficult for me personally.
Awful Management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 27, 2017
Management is so out of touch they don't even recognize they have a problem when 75% of the nursing staff quits within a year. They kept blaming it on compensation, but even with that increased the vacancies just keep piling up.

Stay away.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Extremely high turn over
Not a rewarding job (ED)
Medic/ED (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2017
As a medic, you have the same job description as RN but make $10-25 less/hr. You get very little positive feedback from anyone and are obscenely underpaid for the amount of work and personal risk you are expected to incur. The hospital is entirely profit-driven and as a caregiver, there is always a tacit push to cut corners in the interest of speed. The employee morale at this place is constantly low, and there is very little sense of family/team among coworkers. St. David's is notorious for underpaying staff at all levels, but the way they exploit medics, especially new/inexperienced ones is shameful. If you're new to the field and you want to see some crazy !$#/# and you don't mind getting underpaid, then by all means go get some notches in your belt. But if you've done your time and you're just looking for a decent job with a decent wage, look elsewhere.
Pros
parking garage
Cons
one 30 min break/12 hrs, sub-par cafeteria, your coworkers are mostly newbies
Telemetry room
Telemetry Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  4 central telemetryAugust 31, 2016
The telemetry monitor co workers were sarcastic and belittling. Never expect a compliment only derogatory coments. I wouldn't refer my enemy to work in telemetry. The nurses are great .
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Co workers suck
Exciting and fast paced
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2015
I did an internship here for about a month during the summer. Everyone was friendly and most patients were accommodating. I had a really early shift but it went by very quickly.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
N/a
I really appreciated our supervisor and manager.
Monitor Technician; Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2015
Great place to work and flexible hours. Working side by side with co-workers that I got along with. Work consisted of 12 hour shifts 0700-1900 0r 1900-0700 although may seem long it was mandatory and necessary for the care of our patients.
Pros
PTO and 401k and insurance with facility
Cons
12 hour shifts
not a good ideal. find a job somewhere else
Certified Pharmacy Technician/Pyxis Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2015
I would highly suggest never taking a PRN job unless you really want to work PRN hours. My experience with SAMC was an unpleasant one I got hired PRN in the beginning. Worked my butt off for a year only to watch other people get full-time shifts. So to summarize this up....if they hire you PRN they'll only think of you as such and there isn't much moving up room.
Cons
short breaks, terrible management
Family like atmosphere
RN (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2014
South Austin Medical Center was a great place to work. It always felt like family.
Pros
Great people
My time at samc
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 27, 2013
The labor and delivery unit evolved during my employment. Some of the changes have been for the good. The newest director is more concerned with money than providing excellent patient care. The new director feels that younger nurses are needed for this area. They have nurses there who can and do provide good care. Samc labor and delivery staffing is extremely minimal. Benefits were adaquate and comparible to most hospitals.
Pros
The nursing staff is very helpful to each other
Cons
Extremely minimal staffing
close to home
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 24, 2013
Hard work and not always rewarding, but overall a decent place to work.
Remarkable and caring in everything they set out to do.
Unit Secretary/CNA (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2013
I love working here. my efforts are appreciated and there is room for endless growth. A great place to work!
Pros
flexibilty
Cons
12hr shifts
Good if trying to get your foot in the door
Radiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasApril 12, 2013
Job was somewhat difficult, never got out at scheduled time not a good place to work if trying to go to school
Pros
good if trying to get your foot in the door
Cons
long hours, poor pay
Patient Access Team Lead
Patient Access Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2012
Great group of staff to work with, well educated and willingness to help others (staff, patients and their families).
Pros
excellent training program
Cons
working long weekend hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Austin Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

South Austin Medical Center Reviews by Location