South Bay Community Services Employee Reviews

Incredible clinical experience
FSP/BMM/TT&S (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAMarch 25, 2019
This was my first job after I graduated from college. I spent seven years here gaining clinical and collaborative experience. This job gave me the skills necessary to go back to graduate school with confidence and an overall foundation of clinical expertise.
March 29, 2019

Thank you for your kind comments. We absolutely agree that South Bay is a wonderful place to work, and we appreciate your commitment to your clients and to South Bay. We wish you the best of luck with graduate school and in your future endeavors!

billing
Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, MAMarch 1, 2019
I would bill the insurances company for the services giving. Answer phone file and copy paperwork, help out when needed with clients like help running a group.
Pros
working with clients
March 6, 2019

Thank you for your comments. We are very proud of where we are as a company and look forward to what the future holds for South Bay. Thank you for your time with us.

A lost opportunity
worker (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 1, 2019
So much potential and so much lost. Politics, what was a changing focus on numbers, inept administration, stress, lack of support. Well, the big lawsuits didn't help matters.

Hopefully, things have gotten better. You have lost so many good people and you never cared. The people it ultimately affects are the clients and they have been helpless in all this.
March 6, 2019

We’re sorry to read your comments, as the experience you’ve described does not reflect the culture we’ve worked to build at South Bay. Our leadership team knows our employees’ commitment and dedication to South Bay and to their clients is the reason we’ve been able to diligently serve our community for more than 30 years, and we don’t take that for granted. Every decision we make as a company is focused on what’s best for our employees and clients, and our leadership team is continually evaluating how we can be the absolute best we can be at South Bay. We remain dedicated to delivering the highest quality of care to our clients – that will always be our main focus. All the best to you in your future endeavors.

Not worth it
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAFebruary 20, 2019
It may seem enticing but it is hot garbage. Do not fall for it. The compensation is dismal, there are no real training opportunities, management is awful, you refer to clients as "consumers", frequent no shows, and caseloads are too high to manage appropriately.
Pros
diverse population
Cons
safety, no shows, management, compensation, limited to no training opportunities
February 22, 2019

We are sorry to read your comments. The experience you described does not echo the culture our leadership team has worked diligently to create at South Bay. Our employees’ success directly correlates with the success of our clients, so one of our highest priorities is ensuring our team members excel – both professionally and personally. Our salary levels do correspond with the industry average, but we’re continually evaluating ways to show our employees how much we know and appreciate their value and hard work, including the launch of our employee bonus program. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

great supervisor, flexible work scheduling
In Home Therapist (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 28, 2019
A therapist is able to make their own schedule which is the best part of this job. This is a fee for service position where by if a client cancels and is unable to reschedule for the week, the clinician looses that time. A clinician is also able to complete other pieces of work for compensation. As a clinician you do not have a consistent schedule and you find yourself working long hours and limited time for self care because a lot of work is completed during the time you could be with your family. The job feels like you are always working both at home and at work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
cancellations and other unpaid meetings
February 1, 2019

We echo your comments about our helpful supervisors and flexibility in schedules. We are proud to provide a work environment that allows for this flexibility. Our leadership team understands that in a service-based industry such as ours, we must remain flexible so that we may accommodate the needs of our consumers. We recognize that when you’re serving those who need you most, challenges may arise. We are immensely proud and appreciative of our clinicians’ dedication to their consumers, and our leadership team is continually evaluating ways to show our employees how much they are truly valued, including the launch of our employee bonus program. Thank you for being part of the South Bay team.

After School Program
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 22, 2019
I LOVE MY JOB! Is great! Wonderful supervisor! Just the pay not so good... $12... But I believe they are paying more to new applicants :( Work hour from 2pm to 6pm. Perfect if you go to college in the morning. Very flexible if you need to be late a day or two because of class.
Pros
Working with children!
Cons
Pay.
Just like contract work being paid on commission basis. Basically was temporary
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MAJanuary 9, 2019
South Bay Community Services provided experience with community services. Management was concerned more with productivity not with the conditions of work.
February 1, 2019

Making a positive impact on our consumers’ lives is one of the joys of working at South Bay. And, the experience you gain by working for our company is invaluable. Our leadership team is focused on forming and maintaining long-lasting relationships with employees, as they are our company’s greatest assets. We’ve recently made several internal changes, including implementing an employee bonus program, to demonstrate how much we value our clinicians and their dedication to their consumers. And, we are continually seeking ways to enhance employee morale and satisfaction. Thank you for your time with us, and we wish you the best.

Too much for too less
Director (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 28, 2018
South Bay over the past 11 years, has lost its way. As a community based company with " Getting therapy to you if you can not come to us." Gave so many children & their families access to therapy. With the eventual selling off of South Bay by its founder Peter Scanlon to a larger company, it has lost its way. South has always been notorious for poor benefits & low pay. They went from fee to service to hourly wages back & forth so many times, that talented staff would eventually leave. Retention was always an issue, but in recent years retention is at a low time low at only 50%. Though the national industry average is only 72% (which is bad in to itself), South Bay's numbers make's the national average look respectable, which in fact is deplorably. National numbers also suggest that this trend is seeing a new all time low in students going into social work & psychology. Also the AOTA reports that OT's are moving away from psych OT do also due to low wages.South Bay is a great example of a great community based agency that can not obtain or retain talent do to its own greed & shortsightedness. "What a shame."
Pros
Can be a collaborative environment (At times)
Cons
Low wages, lack of continuity, high cost benefits & lack of leadership/direction
January 4, 2019

At South Bay, we serve. And when you’re serving children and families who need you the most, it is a truly humbling experience. South Bay has remained a pillar in the behavioral health industry for more than three decades and provides better quality services today than it ever has in its history. We continue to change, adjust and improve how we serve our consumers, as well as our employees, to ensure we’re staying true to our mission. Over the last several years, our retention has improved due to changes in compensation, benefits and operational improvements. Our employees make our company what it is today, and our leadership team understands the importance of monitoring and managing employee morale. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Poor Hiring Screening, Quick Turnovers, Frustrated Clients
Family Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MADecember 13, 2018
Opportunity to really make an impact in clients' lives and collaborate with many schools, services, and organizations. Definitely gives you the opportunity to gain a lot of experience in many services pertaining to mental health and community services.

Biggest issue is lack of judgement when hiring for positions. Many therapists/employees arrive with unrealistic expectations of their position and are quickly burnt-out due to poor direct-supervisors and little support in navigating the job. Seems many supervisors are hired for the wrong reasons (like years of experience as opposed to ability to supervise or lead), which can lead to therapists and mentors dealing with client issues they should not have to deal with, as well as a general lack of advice/support when dealing with situations.

Administration talked about many positive changes ahead and seemed interested in employee feedback, but nothing seemed to ever come of it that positively effected employees and/or their ability to maintain a consistent and reliable income.

While it initially seems to pay more than other companies, to actually consistently make enough money to live is a constant stress when other factors are in play that other companies take into consideration.
Pros
A lot of individual responsibility/independence. Opportunity to gain a lot of experience.
Cons
Quick turnovers in staff. Supervisors/supervision time can be pointless. No consistent income.
December 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Positively impacting our consumers’ lives is one of the joys of working at South Bay. And yes, the experience you gain is invaluable. Our leadership team is constantly evaluating and re-evaluating how we operate as a company. This includes reviewing our internal processes and procedures, as well as assessing employee morale. As you stated, we have implemented several changes over the last few years, including the recent launch of a new employee bonus program. As opportunities to enhance and improve our company arise, we will take those into close consideration. Our goal is to form long-lasting relationships with not only our consumers but also our employees. Thank you for your time with us, and we wish you the best.

salary and supervision
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 3, 2018
There is good supervision at this company and good support from the other clinicians who work very hard. The difficulty/challenge of this job is that it is a fee for service company so you get paid by the appointment you are have completed successfully (having met the client for whom you can bill for). If you have difficulty with organizing your time or booking enough appointments this will not be a sustainable income for the amount of work you have to do for and you might be frustrated.
Pros
continuing education, good supervision, felxible work hours, nice clinicians to work with
Cons
lots of driving, fee for service, burn out
December 17, 2018

We agree with your comments about our amazing supervisors and strong support network. We are immensely proud of our team and the culture of teamwork that flows through our company. At South Bay, we serve individuals and families who need us most. And, we meet our consumers in environments where they’re most comfortable. At times, serving others may come with challenges. However, your work, as well as that of your former colleagues, is not in vain. We’re positively changing lives, and we look forward to continuing to uphold our mission.

Low pay
Family service (Current Employee) –  Malden, MADecember 1, 2018
Doesn’t pay for mileage, doesn’t pay well at all. Families cancel a lot so it’s tough to meet hourly requirement. Don’t work here. The salary break down is weird and confusing. You have limited options of where you can take kids and most of the time it involves money.
December 5, 2018

South Bay is a service-based company. And, we recognize that when you’re serving those who need you most, challenges may arise. However, service also means that you’re positively impacting lives by showing others that you care about their well-being. That goes such a long way with our consumers, and we don’t take for granted the amazing opportunity we have to make a difference. Our salary is commensurate with the industry, and our leadership team is continually evaluating ways to show our employees how much they are truly appreciated, including the recent launch of our new employee bonus program. We hope you stay with us to witness the great things in store for our company, consumers and employees.

Fulfilling but low pay
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 28, 2018
This was a great place to work if money is not your prime concern. You do a lot of work in the community, but you don't make enough to support yourself if you wanted to live alone in the area. The staff are great.
Pros
honest work. community involvement
Cons
low pay, heavy work
mission statement is good
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MANovember 5, 2018
not enough time in between sessions to complete encounter note and actually engage with the family. and compare notes to see how the student was changing what worked and what didn't
Pros
longer hours fuller schedule
Cons
if the clients cancel the session you don't get paid
November 13, 2018

South Bay’s mission is grounded in service, and we can proudly say that we work diligently to uphold it in everything we do. When you serve others, challenges may arise. However, serving also means that you’re positively changing lives, and that is what makes the longest lasting impression on our consumers. We enjoy providing behavioral health services to those who need us most and look forward to what the future holds for our company, our consumers and our invaluable employees.

A wonder place to work
In-Home Therapist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2018
South Bay has nailed it in professionalism and work advancement. Supervision is wonderful and meaningful to the work that you do. They provide on going professional development training that is very relevant to your job. Their pay rate is very low but they make up for that in learning. Great place to begin your career in mental health.
October 16, 2018

Thank you for your comments, as well as for your commitment to service. We absolutely agree with you – South Bay has an amazing supervisory staff, and the work that we do in helping those who need our services the most is more than meaningful. And, our leadership team works diligently to provide a work environment that is conducive to ongoing learning opportunities and professional development. Thanks for being part of our team.

Some great people that are constantly scrutinized by higher management.
Family Service Provider (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 3, 2018
I was an FSP at south bay for about 5 years. It's a complicated place. There are certain supervisors there that are wonderful, though their influence is often subdued or downright negated by higher management. My rating is partially in regard to said higher management. If you just have your bachelors there is no room for growth. Most of management are comfortable at their job, but there is some room for growth at masters level especially if you're licensed. Any mental health job is high anxiety and stress, even if you do well to keep the work at work. South bay does not help this factor by micromanaging everything. If you do one thing well, they'll get on your case about something else, if you fix that, they'll go to something else. The thing that ended it for me was that I received one complaint by a nine year old, the first complaint I've ever received in five years there, and not only did they not get my back, they worked to scrutinize me further and performed ploys to isolate me (like telling my supervisor she couldn't talk to me). As stated, there are some wonderful people there, as there is in any mental health agency, but the company (especially in being a for-profit) ruins it for us that are actually doing therapy. Also, they pay bachelors level therapists better than just about anyone around, though no compensation for mileage and having to pay for parking brings that down a bit.
Pros
Some wonderful supervisors, good pay for bachelors level, great experience for your career.
Cons
Mixed messages, political games, and a corporate structure that ruins the experience for many involved
October 9, 2018

We agree that we employ some of the best and brightest clinicians this industry has to offer. And, the experience you gain when you work at a company like South Bay is priceless. In a service-based industry such as ours, challenges may arise. We recognize this, and our leadership team continually seeks internal feedback on how we can provide the best care for not only our consumers but also our invaluable employees. Because of their unwavering commitment to serving a cause greater than themselves, lives are being changed for the better. That makes what we do absolutely worth it. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Internship
Jr. System Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2018
Good experience working with 2 IT professionals that built their own Network and Desktop Support Team supporting a diverse community of users over a wide area of San Diego.
Pros
Very Flexible work enviornment
Do not work here
Behavior management therapist (Former Employee) –  Malden, MASeptember 4, 2018
I was sold in the interview I thought it was the perfect place to work. I just finished my Aba degree and thought I would learn how to be a behavior management therapist and work as a manager. In the short weeks I worked there I realized my salary was contingent on producing billable hours which weren’t always guaranteed which meant it was fee for service. I also never got one client no one would call back and I had to do required non payed supervision which took up time from making money. There was also incentive to work more billable hours than we are supppise to and you’ll make even more nicer but slim to none it happened.
Pros
Cons
Money life everything
September 14, 2018

Our leadership team takes all employee feedback seriously, and we are sorry to read your comments. During the interview process, our HR team takes care to be as transparent as possible about our model and approach to serving our consumers. We also welcome our employees to share ongoing feedback about how we do things at South Bay. We seek to help our employees grow in this field. And, we pride ourselves in going above and beyond what may be the industry norm to ensure we’re meeting the needs of our consumers through quality clinical care. We recognize that our work is not easy, but it is fulfilling. All the best to you in your future endeavors.

Good place to start
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Worcester County, MassachusettsSeptember 2, 2018
There are many departments you can work in...this is in reference to the Day Services Program that provides group therapy.

This company has along way to go in terms of organization and employee recognition and advancement/compensation. Recognizing that Social Services is already a low paying career, SBCS pays insultingly low...so much so that many employee's can't even live on their own and struggle paycheck to paycheck, even with a Mater's degree and licensure. The turnover is incredibly high and this leaves the clients in a state of limbo with limited staff to turn to, which can and has caused ethical issues in my opinion. Clinically, there isn't any direction, it's more of a sink or swim atmosphere. If you can get through the learning period, however, you can gain a great deal of clinical experience to take with you, that's almost entirely self-initiated, and move on to a company worth investing in. SBCS has the potential to be a great resource to the clients we serve, but it needs a major rehaul on just about everything.
Pros
Work-life balance, Coworkers are great
Cons
Low Compensation, Disorganized, Poor management, No direction or advancement opportunities
September 5, 2018

Our employees are our greatest assets at South Bay, and we value all feedback we receive. Our leadership team has maintained a laser focus on constantly evaluating, refining and adjusting how we operate as a company. We are proud of the great strides we’ve made in the last few years and will remain focused on being the best we can be in serving both our employees and consumers. South Bay is a place where our clinicians can learn and grow, and we offer a variety of opportunities for training and professional development. Our work is not easy, and at times, it may mean going above and beyond your typical duties as a clinician. We recognize that. At the end of the day, our consumers are benefitting from our work, and their lives are being transformed for the better. That makes our work more than worth it. Thank you for your time with us, and we wish you the best.

Extremely supportive company
Outreach Therapist (Former Employee) –  Swansea, MAAugust 21, 2018
South Bay Community Services is an organization that accepts insurance provided by the state of Massachusetts. I was able to support a client base that would not have been able to afford mental health services otherwise.
August 27, 2018

South Bay’s culture is indeed one that is grounded in providing unwavering support to both our consumers and our employees. Every time we’re able to serve a consumer and meet their needs, we’re reminded that our work makes a positive difference in the lives of others. And, we look forward to continuing to serve those who need us the most. Thank you for your time with us!

Great Place for career advancement
Senior Payroll Coordinator/Interim Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAAugust 16, 2018
Heavy workload, but good for someone looking to get good experience. Practices and compensation could be refined a bit but overall not a bad place to work and management staff especially the CEO cares about how employees are compensated and treated.
August 27, 2018

We agree with you 100 percent – South Bay is definitely a great place for career advancement and experience! Our leadership team is proud to be able to provide our employees various opportunities for growth and professional development. It is because of their commitment and dedication that we’ve diligently served our consumers for more than 30 years, and we don’t take that for granted. Thank you for your kind comments, as well as your service. We wish you the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Bay Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight