South Coast Community Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Love What I Do
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 15, 2018
I have been with SCCS over 17 years and worked my way up from an entry level position. I work in the Group Home department, which does amazing work with very difficult youth. I have a very supportive team and enjoy what I do. I definitely encourage anybody to apply to this organization to help better the lives of foster youth.
Pros
rewarding work, teamwork, positive work environment
Cons
this field can be stressful at times
Best job EVER
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Upland Rancho Cucamonga Redlands Yucaipa ColtonDecember 12, 2017
I have no idea what the other reviewers are talking about. I worked during the same period that they worked. I knew most of them. It's unfortunate that they said such negative things. They didn't list the reasons that they were unsuccessful at SCCS, like the lack of time mgt skills and inability to write good notes.

I never met the CEO, but I heard he is a nice man. I hope to meet him one day. Everyone I work with, truly enjoys their job. I work with some very smart people. I make my job what I want. I make it positive, fun and challenging.As for advancement, there are only so many positions, let alone management positions. It takes time, effort, leadership skills, knowledge etc. to get promoted. This is not a very large company. Time is not the only factor. My manager and director are very capable, knowledgeable, approachable and supportive. They both have great leadership skills. They are also assertive and want me to succeed. They challenge me and they support me. I truly enjoy working here.

I have been here for a short while (1.5years ) and I learned in 6 months what other companies take 3-5 years to teach. The learning is endless. I have access to en vivo, e-learning and experiential learning from managers. I found a place to call home. Management is extremely supportive and knowledgeable. Work culture is FUN, exciting, friendly, and supportive. A real TEAM work environment. There are diff. programs. Some are low pressure others are very high. That's the nature of this profession. In the SF, WRAP and TBS programs, every day is a different day with different challenges.
  more... I get to practice REAL therapy. The only down side is the amount of electronic record keeping. It's easy once you get the hang of it. You must be a good note writer to be successful. The most enjoyable part is the REAL work that I do; sense of accomplishment, intelligent team members and very capable and knowledgeable managers that are supportive. I turned down 6 County jobs and 2 other non-profits, I made the very best choice.
I wont list too many clues about who I am, but disregard my start date and position.
Pros
Everything and everyone
Cons
I cant think of any
Not a good place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 29, 2017
If looking for career advancement, pay raises, separate vacation/sick time, or 401k, then this is not the place to work. Poor Management. Has a high turn around and company does not care about how they treat employees.
Very stressful
Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 23, 2017
They micro manage the employees, very un profesional, the assistant director of a program is mean with the employees. They let go employees for stupendous reasons, but keep the ones the violate HIPA and don't see their clients. Some employees have been on medical leave due to the stress they have at work, and there is retaliation if you complain with HR.
Pros
Helping the clients
Cons
Retaliation, stress.
High expectations with little incentive or pay
LMFT (Former Employee) –  Colton, CAMay 27, 2017
The CEO of this company is a tyrant. He makes sure spotlight is on him and loves to be glorified. He makes irrational demands and is very impulsive. From one day to the next he makes irrational changes with the common "as of immediately". He creates high stress in which is no wonder most people don't last. This is a high turn over place from clinicians to supervisors etc. He really has little regard for clinicians as he himself has never stepped in the life of one before, but is also not interested in hearing about it. He may come out and pretend he cares but a person that cares actually tries to make the environment more positive and also appealing for new staff. He enforces micromanagement and expects this of supervisors too. Everyone is afraid to stand up to him for he who does is fired pretty soon after. This place also has caps on wages and no opportunity for increase as he claims this place starts at the highest wage. Make your research before I'm sure you will find other places that pay more. Also there is no such thing as bereavement or sick time as a stand alone for it all comes out of your vacation time. Good luck with that. Don't expect things to get better around there any time soon but if you want to join the zoo.... be my guest.
Pros
Many programs
Cons
Vacation, stress level, micromanagement
Official response from South Coast Community Services
August 1, 2017

8/1/2017: I am the CEO of South Coast and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your post. I appreciate your courage and consideration to post a review of our agency, and I am sorry it was not a positive review. I hope you know that I take your comments very seriously. As a former employee you have access to my personal cell phone number, and I would be delighted to take your call. If you don't happen to have it any more please call our main number and your call will be routed to me. If there is something we can fix, we will want to do just that. I am not asking you to change your mind about our agency, I am only asking for the opportunity to learn enough from you that we can fix whatever is broken. Thanks, Scott.

Just Dont
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 5, 2017
Constant Changes, Unethical Non Client based Decisions, Poor Moral, Inconsideration of Employees, High Turn around, Inflexibility, High Case load, Little to No Opportunity to complete Therapy Hours.
Cons
Micro Management, High Expectations, High Stress, Wear and Tear on personal vehicle.
Client care is not the focus
Family specialist (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 15, 2017
Micromanagement this is the culture and environment that has been created. If you go to Human Resources nothing gets resolved. Human Resources reports to an individual who runs company like a true "dictator".

It is sad to say, the board of directors allows this attitude and approach towards staff. This is a nonprofit organization who provides services to clients in placement.
Pros
They are always hiring this place has a high turn over.
Cons
Brace yourself and get ready to "micromanaged by new program assistant director
Safe only if you are confident
Clinician Intern (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 5, 2016
Turn over is very high and for good reason. The pressure to perform is too much for most people to find balance between enjoying their job, doing the job and resting in real life.
The demands and expectations are to be met 100% of the time. Numbers is really all that matters to this organization.
Pros
Opportunities to learn, grow, stretch, be challenged
Cons
Pressure to produce #s & $$
Official response from South Coast Community Services
August 1, 2017

8/1/2017: I am the CEO of South Coast and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your post. Thank you for making the effort to post a review of our agency, although I am sorry it was not a positive review. I take your comments very seriously and I would like to see what I can do to make SCCS a better place to work. As a current employee you have access to my personal cell phone number, and I would be delighted to take your call. I am not asking you to change your mind about our agency, I am only asking for the opportunity to learn enough from you that we can fix whatever is broken. Thanks, Scott.

Program assistant
program assistant (Current Employee) –  Colton, CAAugust 24, 2015
South Coast is a great place to start your career. However it dose not facilitate a culture that allows staff to grow professional or personally.
Set up to fail
Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 29, 2014
too many tasks, with too little time, micro management, redundant work, busy work, no set schedule, must meet client schedules no matter what time, always on call without on call pay
Pros
flexible scheduling, not routine 9-5
Cons
cannot always control schedule, schedule changes often, too much work, little pay
Not client driven
Wraparound Facilitator I (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 24, 2014
low moral due to lack of concern for employees, not client driven

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Coast Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight