South College Employee Reviews

Disgusted.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 31, 2019
Being an employee at South College seems comparable to being a prison inmate...ZERO time off, being watched at all times, and being treated with little to no respect by the uneducated people in management.
Student here.
Student (Current Employee) –  616 Marriot Dr. Nashville TN.37214June 19, 2019
Student here, not an employee. But I have had a nice experience here with advisors, and all the team like professors that teach here. South College is the best when looking for healthcare classes.
Wow. Run.
Educator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 7, 2019
The associate dean bends to any student wish regardless of how much it lowers professional standards for the students or morale for the faculty. I was instructed to keep the test in my hand to teach from, among other things. Changes were made to my course without my knowledge. The pay was the lowest I've received in my nearly 20 year career. One student was expelled for missing hours of class while another student was allowed to continue for a similar behavior. Inconsistent standards, constant undermining of faculty, no collaboration, little support.
Pros
The cubicles are clean, since no personal items are allowed.
Cons
Not suitable for professional educators.
Overall a good company to work for
Staff (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 11, 2019
I have enjoyed my time at South since most of the management I worked directly under has made training of their staff a priority. I feel the changes of being a relatively new campus has caused a lot of the issues other people have referenced in their reviews.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
Lack of advancement/student issues
Productive and Fun workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 4, 2019
Fun and productive work environment. Constantly busy and never boring. Staff is always very friendly and outgoing. Many events are always going on and there is often free food.
positive
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 24, 2019
My experience has been enjoyable. Competitive pay. Flexible schedule. A little unorganized. Good group of students. Would recommend to a friend looking to teach.
Laid back
Asst. Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 21, 2018
Unorganized & work environment was hostile. Managers allowed it & did nothing about it. Just all about getting students under any means necessary.. Cut throat things were also going on with particular employees on the job..
N/a
Full-Time Resource Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 4, 2018
In hindsight, I would never work for this company again. The management is terrible. They tell you that they have an open door policy, but in reality, unless it benefits them, they don't want to hear it. The executives on the 6th floor, are in their own little world, they have no conflict management, they'd rather ignore the problem than face it head-on. The Nursing faculty/staff is great, along with admissions and student services.
Pros
Fixed Schedule
Lots of recent changes
Imaging Sciences (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 10, 2018
Lots of changes currently, but trying to be open and flexible. Overall a good place to work, but sometimes question the upper management, but realize that will be the case with any institution.
Pros
Time off for breaks
Cons
Lack of compensation when taking on a new/advanced role
South College
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 27, 2018
I was looking to get involved in higher education. South College matched by experience and skill set and placed me in the elementary education program where I was able to invest in new teachers.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Not a good place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 11, 2018
Compensation is below average.
Corporate management at main campus make changes that make no sense at all, and usually only affects the staff.
Benefits are a joke. Health insurance is way too much for what you get. Have to pay entire premium for dental - no company contribution. 401k pays I think 1%.
My supervisor was awesome, but most are a bunch of dimwits that I have yet to figure out what they do during the day.
Corporate management moves people to positions that they don't want to move to.
HR has no clue as to what's going on. Not sure why there is an HR department.
No communication when changes are made until AFTER they're made.
Mr. South (yes there is a Mr. South) couldn't care less about the employees OR the students. Only wants to get students in for the outrageous tuition they charge. Employees are replaceable and expendable.
No recognition at all. Corporate doesn't do anything to make people feel safe or secure in their jobs. Constantly looking over your shoulder.
I would not recommend working at South College.
No advancement opportunities.
Even faculty don't have job security. No one does.
Pros
My awesome supervisor. Most of the people I worked with in my department.
Cons
See above.
Toxic Work Environment
Instructional Support (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 5, 2018
The salary & benefits are above average and the campuses are clean and well-maintained, but the environment is toxic. Very corporate atmosphere, top-down management style, leadership knows very little about managing a college (hint: its not a business). I worked there for little over a year and I saw people get fired for no reason, employees harassed and it was swept under the rug, and dept. chairs got paid to do very little work. Fear is the primary motivator at South College: fear of getting fired or getting caught breaking some small rule. They use security cameras to monitor whose not in their office, screen phone calls and emails, and force people to abide by silly rules (no eating in the office, must wear business slacks to work, no walking on the grass). Unless you're an admin or faculty in a professional program that brings in a lot of revenue for the school (pharmacy, PA), prepare to be patronized and micro-managed.
Pros
Above average salaries
Cons
No job security, focused on making money rather than educating students, little autonomy.
New Programs are Always Challenging - But South Supports Us
Associate Dean (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 16, 2018
I have been an educator, clinician, and academic administrator for twenty years. I know first hand the challenges of starting something new - and we certainly face those here. But I have an amazing team who collaborate well and I feel fully supported by my leaders. We are building great things and I am proud to be a part of it!
Super Place to Work
Staff support (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 30, 2018
Great career growth opportunities! Good pay and little micromanagment. The academic program is very good with lots of success in the graduate programs in particular.
Workplace Culture
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 30, 2018
I have never been at another corporation with people that care as much as South College. The owner and executive management team are insightful and the culture is something I will miss dearly. South College employees truly care about their students and the programs that are offered are high-end.
Pros
Working with students in a stress free envirnoment
Cons
None that come to mind
Great Employer!
Staff (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 30, 2018
Great place for work/life balance. The leadership is fair, strategic in their thinking, and we are fortunately growing steadily as a company. Our academic programs have a great reputation in the region and we work in a first-class environment!
Run! Don’t even think about working there!!!
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 29, 2018
An absolute joke! If you are an experienced educator NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU!!!!! Constant lack of leadership and throwing you under the bus. Seriously, no communication and left to “sink or swim”on your own.
Pros
Cons
Joke! No communication and just a mess!!!
Avoid at all costs
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 24, 2018
Atrocious academic decisions made daily by upper management, most of whom are not academics
Literally no communication whatsoever
Extremely low morale
Cons
Racist and sexist culture
Avoid South College Job wise and Student Wise
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 4, 2018
Job Wise - to much internal politics and infighting to accomplish much. No realistic planning, and knee jerk style management from Executive level.

School Wise - Way over price and not enough bang for the $ after words
Cons
Management and Job Stablity
Corporate environment. Only interested in making money not education.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 10, 2017
Poor management.
Dishonest with ACEN surveyor.
Lack of coordination with parent college in Knoxville.
Told 32 hours a week but usually 40+ due to mismanagement and last minute changes required.
Constantly told to lie to students making up for mismanagement of classes.
WOULD STAY AWAY- DONT QUIT YOUR CURRENT JOB FOR THIS ONE. YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!
Pros
Haha - benefits/pay mean nothing if you are conscientious.
Cons
Corporate - making money is the only goal. Lack of honest management