South Dakota State Government

South Dakota State Government Employee Reviews

United States47 reviews
My boss has been wonderful and I feel like my job is important. My department offers flexibility in getting time off but not every department is like that.
I have been a correctional health nurse for 9 years. I started out of nursing school as a way to just get a job somewhere, so I could look for something better. I am still here. I worked and did clinicals between both health systems in Sioux Falls, and found that I really liked working here. I enjoy working in a public health setting. Of course a prison is not where most nurses want to work. There are dangers, there are troubles, but the job and feeling is rewarding when you have to utilize your assessment skills and nursing judgement. The nursing staff provided urgent care type visits for the population. Daily treatments, medication passes, and an onsite infirmary in two facilities across the state ensure that your nursing skills will not go to waste. I worked as a paramedic prior to nursing school, and I am glad I had those experiences coming into this job. If you are looking for a rewarding career, with great benefits look no further. SD DOH Correctional Health Division just might be the right place for you.
As a nurse in correctional health you will learn something new everyday but working in Springfield is not worth the drive or pay that is offered to work with inmates that sue and don’t appreciate nurses. Administration plays favorites and direct supervisors have no support for staff. The pay scales are not up to market value and don’t take into consideration all the work that has to be done within a shift.
Pros
Learn something new everyday
Cons
Management is very politically driven
Working for state government can be rewarding but at the same time frustrating when dealing with unruly citizens or customers. The pay is decent but still lags behind the private sector salaries for similar positions. If you like to hunt and fish then Pierre, the state capital, is just for you.
The Sheriffs in this sparsely populated state wanted to share criminal history information so that they would be aware of persons of risk moving from location to location.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
The State of South Dakota offered a variety of support programs for special needs that I found to be extremely helpful and innovative and it was very easy to work with the state.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
some rules needed to be updated
It is a good place to work. Dealing with the disadvantage population can be taxing on ones mental health. Be prepared to get yelled at. Sometime the clients could be on drugs or their personal hygiene not up to par.
I have 240 for annual leave, but after 15 years, it would have been 320. However, my line of work as a custodian isn't the greatest, because my lack of speed.
Training was with a bunch of different people who all did the job differently, unveiling huge inconsistencies within the department. Very poor leadership
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Working in awful conditions at times
The employees here are amazing people with a heart for their community, but they are chronically understaffed and overworked. Decent benefits and health insurance
Get travel and see different states and get to be on big incidents and see how the real life works in fire. Also get to help protect people homes or try to at least and get to work with the best crew and open your options in the career field.
Pros
Get to do project work
Cons
Get breaks and help protect land
Overall, employee attitude, including those in management is more negative than I have ever experienced – caustic would be putting it kindly. I expected that from inmates – oddly enough, with rare exception, that never happened.
Scheduling, over the last several months has been confusing and haphazard with changes frequently occurring mid-week eliminating the ability to plan my use of non-working hours. Twelve hour shifts that start at 5:00 AM or 9:00 AM were assigned without any consideration of employee preference, or any sense of regularity, with scheduling for a subsequent week changing, perhaps, on only a few days’ notice.

At some point over the last six months, daily duties and responsibilities that required two aids to complete in a shift, were doubled through the elimination of the second aid, which often caused the shift to run longer than 12 hours, always at the disapproval of management.

The use of annual is apparently not permitted – requests were always met with the requirement that I arrange another employee to work or swap shifts with, on those days that leave was requested – yet I had no authority schedule employees.
Most of the other employees were great and ready to help you learn as much as you can! The training program is skittle on the “falls short” side, but the on the job training with most other officers is amazingly Beneficial! Most of the higher ranked officers are fairly down to earth and want you to succeed. Basically a good job just put your now down and do what you told for the first 6 month and you will be just fine.
Pros
Great banifits and wages
Cons
Long hrs at times and can be very stressful
Daily activities for IT include challenging technology projects, technology research and daily procedures. Learn skills but without more compensation may not be a long-term job.
Favoritism and nepotism all over even when HR has set policies against it. They create rules then forget to follow them until it becomes a problem then they target some poor employee.

Management styles are old and tired. Chains of command are not respected. Employees frequently bad mouth each other openly and while there are spots of teamwork in some agencies where I worked there was one person that grabbed all of the attention, made all other people on his team look bad but himself and management is in Pierre far away so they can't see what really happens.

Benefits cost rise every year and cover less every year. Managers pound on desks and yell or chew people out for the simplest mistakes and there is no training on anything new. We were constantly told to start working with something without even a paper hand-out.

Customer service is frowned on and a frequent source of desk pounding and chewing out. We were told that we don't train anyone, we don't explain anything to anyone and my favorite was "I'll start to worry when the complaints reach the Governor's office".

Compensation time gets over used instead of overtime pay. We would get the inconvenience without any compensation except the time we spent dealing with a problem.
Pros
Leave Time
Cons
See Review
If you are looking for an entry level job, you may gain some experience here. However, if you are looking to advance to another position within the courthouse, think again. Once you work in the clerks office, you will never be considered for a promotion/ change in position within the courthouse. Since this is a state job, expect all of your co-workers to receive the same raise you do, even if they don't deserve it.
Pros
flexible hours, no weekend or evening work
Cons
working with crabby co-workers & customers, unfair work distribution, no room for advancement
Working with local social services to provide quality care for the children in the foster care system has been very disappointing. I find that with changing case workers, lack of communication between case workers, foster parents, and other services. So many things get delayed and ignored in general. With a government organization that is in such need for good foster parent givers and daycare. You would think the current government organization would work with the current qualified family and caregivers the see that they got the equipment and pay.
Pros
Cons
the fostercare system
State job was enjoyable but sometimes stressful when we were working out in blizzard conditions. It was a team effort. The job was sometimes dangerous as we were always out in traffic working.
I learned that some people rise to a supervisor position within the state government without the necessary people skills to be a proactive trainer of other employees. The high turn over rate in my department can be directly linked to my direct supervisor and the lack of acceptable ways to utilize the human resources department to resolve issues. It is not an ideal work environment for anyone who cannot advocate well for themselves. That being said, the work was challenging and fulfilling. The pay was competitive, and the benefits package was perfect. I was just unable to endure the stress of the work relationship with my direct supervisor long enough to be able to transfer out of the department.
The state is great in helping parents who need assistants with daycare for working families under the poverty line. The state doesn't assist with single parents who actually work but can't make enough to make ends meet.
I work with a lot of people at the state and find this job very rewarding. The pay could be better as compared to similar roles in other states, but then again, I think the work culture is a lot better than those other states as well. I've been around a while and if you are a hard worker and enthusiastic, it will pay off working for the state. If you are a slacker ... look elsewhere. Management is supportive - as much as they can be. Dress code is business casual for my area. Everyone treats each other with respect. Hardest part of the job is helping some customers who can never be satisfied. Greatest reward is helping customers and seeing the results of our help.
Pros
Great work/life balance.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Dakota State Government. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight