South Dakota State Government Employee Reviews

9 Years later still loving this job!
Human Services (Current Employee) –  West RiverJune 15, 2018
I work with a lot of people at the state and find this job very rewarding. The pay could be better as compared to similar roles in other states, but then again, I think the work culture is a lot better than those other states as well. I've been around a while and if you are a hard worker and enthusiastic, it will pay off working for the state. If you are a slacker ... look elsewhere. Management is supportive - as much as they can be. Dress code is business casual for my area. Everyone treats each other with respect. Hardest part of the job is helping some customers who can never be satisfied. Greatest reward is helping customers and seeing the results of our help.
Pros
Great work/life balance.
Provided a Great Knowledge Base
NETWORK SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDJune 12, 2018
Learned networking and security while advancing skills. Opened the door to many other opportunities and continued education. Overall was a great experience.
rewarding place to work.
Social services aide (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMay 25, 2018
Transport foster children to appointments, supervise visits both in the office as well as out in the community. Narrate all interactions with children, parents and foster parents.
Pros
Great place to work a real family setting.
Cons
Long hours lack of resources for the department.
Typical
Deputy Clerk of Courts (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 22, 2018
I had a great boss, however. The administration was less than great, but the management was wonderful to work for. Day to day was what you would expect with government work.
Overall not good
Best Guy (Former Employee) –  The TopFebruary 13, 2018
Job sucks, the people that were admitted there seemed to be the only ones who care, most of the other workers seemed more paranoid than some of the patients. Very unpleasent
Cons
everything
Surveryor
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Martin, SDJanuary 31, 2018
Worked as a road construction surveyor. Very interesting work, but low pay and not a good benefit package. Very long hours in summer; then much time off in the winter.
Hardworking maintence of a lake
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SDNovember 27, 2017
Its a job where you need to have many skills. You will mow grass, comb beaches, cut down trees, maintain docks and boats, and a variety of other things it takes to maintain a lake.
Was very fortunate to get this position.
VARIOUS POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDOctober 10, 2017
Very challenging and rewarding position. I was able to use my college degree in Business Administration. Generous benefits, semi-annual performance reviews were very informational.
Pros
free lunches
Great Place
Auditor I (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDAugust 5, 2017
Not much chance of getting any overtime. Most employees are hourly. The job benefits are great and hard to beat. Stuff can be slow because it's government.
Perfect Job!
Respite Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDJuly 12, 2017
I work for a specific family doing respite care for their son who has cerebral palsy. It is rewarding and fun. The state of south dakota provides the family with funds to pay me whenever they need a break.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Few hours

Want to know more about South Dakota State Government?

Ask a question
Great Workplace
Local Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDJune 2, 2017
Amazing people to work with. I loved helping people each day that were searching for meaningful employment. Its not everyday that you get that much satisfaction. SD rocks
Great people to work with
Mental Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDNovember 3, 2016
Horrible bosses to back you up. Great location. Not great security. Easy to get different positions. Learned that mental illness is in everyone. Working with amazing people as coworkers and clients
Continued learning experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 18, 2016
A typical day is to see clinic patients, assess and determine if the patient needs to be seen by the provider. We have daily emergent situations that my coworkers and myself work very hard to help these patients. Working in my current position I deal with alot of mental health patients, mental health medications, medical procedures, and clinical medications
Pros
Continuing learning experiences
Cons
Unpredictable situations
Summary
Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Martin, SDOctober 1, 2016
Its a thankless position where those who should be behind you fail. Having poor supervisors prevents future growth and lacks support. The children and families you work with are amazing and it is very rewarding knowing you can make a difference in someone's life
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Poor supervisory
greeter
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 13, 2016
was let go after I called in sick for one day. since I don't get paid if I don't work was not sure why I was fired.

Supervisor is very busy and overwhelmed. Exmainers on the most part fare freiendly and helpful others not so much.

People liked to try to tell me what to do
Good family balance
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 8, 2016
I learned a lot of skills in health care and hospice care. I worked directly under the care of an RN and was able to care for my grandmother instead of having a stranger do it
Good team members and staff
Sr. Business Analyst/System/ Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 9, 2016
Its a very good place to work because of the team members and the staff.The staff and the members are very helpful hear.The management is nicely arranged.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
No free lunch
Correctional care
Clinical coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 10, 2016
I really enjoyed my position as clinical coordinator and having the opportunity to teach new staff and inmates. Left job for husband relocation to Colorado.
Great place
Reproduction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDJuly 22, 2015
Working here allowed me to talk a little with people everyday. They become a little part of your family. The job also allowed freedom to do my tasks at my pace as long as they all got done in a timely matter.
In this position I learned multiple things. The computer systems were their own so you learn from scratch. Part of the program was rewritten at one point and I had to learn a new system. I learned how to use multiple copiers and binding machines which were interesting.
Pros
nice atmosphere
Cons
the one week a month I was drowned with work
Enjoyed the people
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Thompson, SDDecember 30, 2014
Overall I have to say that the job was full filling. I worked with mostly Native Americans and developed a very good relationship with the majority of them through respect and courtesy. My personality fit in very well with the majority of clients that we served.
Pros
Co-workers, clients and other outside staff that were not part of WIC but other programs that were there.
Cons
Not enough time for the work load due to the allowed FTE, 24 hrs a pay period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Dakota State Government. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight