South Dakota State Government Employee Reviews

Good opportunities and skilled employees
IT (Former Employee) –  South DakotaFebruary 19, 2019
Daily activities for IT include challenging technology projects, technology research and daily procedures. Learn skills but without more compensation may not be a long-term job.
Not worth the Hassels
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 18, 2019
Favoritism and nepotism all over even when HR has set policies against it. They create rules then forget to follow them until it becomes a problem then they target some poor employee.

Management styles are old and tired. Chains of command are not respected. Employees frequently bad mouth each other openly and while there are spots of teamwork in some agencies where I worked there was one person that grabbed all of the attention, made all other people on his team look bad but himself and management is in Pierre far away so they can't see what really happens.

Benefits cost rise every year and cover less every year. Managers pound on desks and yell or chew people out for the simplest mistakes and there is no training on anything new. We were constantly told to start working with something without even a paper hand-out.

Customer service is frowned on and a frequent source of desk pounding and chewing out. We were told that we don't train anyone, we don't explain anything to anyone and my favorite was "I'll start to worry when the complaints reach the Governor's office".

Compensation time gets over used instead of overtime pay. We would get the inconvenience without any compensation except the time we spent dealing with a problem.
Pros
Leave Time
Cons
See Review
Good Place for an Entry Level Job
Deputy Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 12, 2019
If you are looking for an entry level job, you may gain some experience here. However, if you are looking to advance to another position within the courthouse, think again. Once you work in the clerks office, you will never be considered for a promotion/ change in position within the courthouse. Since this is a state job, expect all of your co-workers to receive the same raise you do, even if they don't deserve it.
Pros
flexible hours, no weekend or evening work
Cons
working with crabby co-workers & customers, unfair work distribution, no room for advancement
Lack of communication and poor compensation
Daycare Provider (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs SDNovember 2, 2018
Working with local social services to provide quality care for the children in the foster care system has been very disappointing. I find that with changing case workers, lack of communication between case workers, foster parents, and other services. So many things get delayed and ignored in general. With a government organization that is in such need for good foster parent givers and daycare. You would think the current government organization would work with the current qualified family and caregivers the see that they got the equipment and pay.
Pros
Cons
the fostercare system
Good place to work with great benifits.
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Faulkton, SDOctober 25, 2018
State job was enjoyable but sometimes stressful when we were working out in blizzard conditions. It was a team effort. The job was sometimes dangerous as we were always out in traffic working.
Great benefits package
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDOctober 2, 2018
I learned that some people rise to a supervisor position within the state government without the necessary people skills to be a proactive trainer of other employees. The high turn over rate in my department can be directly linked to my direct supervisor and the lack of acceptable ways to utilize the human resources department to resolve issues. It is not an ideal work environment for anyone who cannot advocate well for themselves. That being said, the work was challenging and fulfilling. The pay was competitive, and the benefits package was perfect. I was just unable to endure the stress of the work relationship with my direct supervisor long enough to be able to transfer out of the department.
I was paid by the state to provide chilcare for my sister.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 9, 2018
The state is great in helping parents who need assistants with daycare for working families under the poverty line. The state doesn't assist with single parents who actually work but can't make enough to make ends meet.
9 Years later still loving this job!
Human Services (Current Employee) –  West RiverJune 15, 2018
I work with a lot of people at the state and find this job very rewarding. The pay could be better as compared to similar roles in other states, but then again, I think the work culture is a lot better than those other states as well. I've been around a while and if you are a hard worker and enthusiastic, it will pay off working for the state. If you are a slacker ... look elsewhere. Management is supportive - as much as they can be. Dress code is business casual for my area. Everyone treats each other with respect. Hardest part of the job is helping some customers who can never be satisfied. Greatest reward is helping customers and seeing the results of our help.
Pros
Great work/life balance.
Provided a Great Knowledge Base
NETWORK SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDJune 12, 2018
Learned networking and security while advancing skills. Opened the door to many other opportunities and continued education. Overall was a great experience.
rewarding place to work.
Social services aide (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMay 25, 2018
Transport foster children to appointments, supervise visits both in the office as well as out in the community. Narrate all interactions with children, parents and foster parents.
Pros
Great place to work a real family setting.
Cons
Long hours lack of resources for the department.
Typical
Deputy Clerk of Courts (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 22, 2018
I had a great boss, however. The administration was less than great, but the management was wonderful to work for. Day to day was what you would expect with government work.
Overall not good
Best Guy (Former Employee) –  The TopFebruary 13, 2018
Job sucks, the people that were admitted there seemed to be the only ones who care, most of the other workers seemed more paranoid than some of the patients. Very unpleasent
Cons
everything
Surveryor
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Martin, SDJanuary 31, 2018
Worked as a road construction surveyor. Very interesting work, but low pay and not a good benefit package. Very long hours in summer; then much time off in the winter.
Hardworking maintence of a lake
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SDNovember 27, 2017
Its a job where you need to have many skills. You will mow grass, comb beaches, cut down trees, maintain docks and boats, and a variety of other things it takes to maintain a lake.
Was very fortunate to get this position.
VARIOUS POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDOctober 10, 2017
Very challenging and rewarding position. I was able to use my college degree in Business Administration. Generous benefits, semi-annual performance reviews were very informational.
Pros
free lunches
Great Place
Auditor I (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDAugust 5, 2017
Not much chance of getting any overtime. Most employees are hourly. The job benefits are great and hard to beat. Stuff can be slow because it's government.
Perfect Job!
Respite Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDJuly 12, 2017
I work for a specific family doing respite care for their son who has cerebral palsy. It is rewarding and fun. The state of south dakota provides the family with funds to pay me whenever they need a break.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Few hours
Great Workplace
Local Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spearfish, SDJune 2, 2017
Amazing people to work with. I loved helping people each day that were searching for meaningful employment. Its not everyday that you get that much satisfaction. SD rocks
Great people to work with
Mental Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDNovember 3, 2016
Horrible bosses to back you up. Great location. Not great security. Easy to get different positions. Learned that mental illness is in everyone. Working with amazing people as coworkers and clients
Continued learning experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 18, 2016
A typical day is to see clinic patients, assess and determine if the patient needs to be seen by the provider. We have daily emergent situations that my coworkers and myself work very hard to help these patients. Working in my current position I deal with alot of mental health patients, mental health medications, medical procedures, and clinical medications
Pros
Continuing learning experiences
Cons
Unpredictable situations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Dakota State Government. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight