SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Strong team mentallity, extrordinary staff, many oppurtunites to take on responsibilites as a professional scientist
Science Technician (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLNovember 12, 2018
The south Florida water management district was a great work environment. The team at the Okeechobee office was the best group of technicians and scientists I have had the pleasure to work with. Great environment for learning from experienced professionals.
Poor management
Former Scientist (Former Employee) –  WPBAugust 5, 2018
All great scientists already left the District. Management is very poor in many sections. The fact that experts with PhDs are supervised by unqualified section leaders or so called science supervisors is just outrageous. There are great people still working there but they are often being diminished by unqualified lower and middle level managers. District used to be a great place to work, but not anymore. So if you are an accomplished and ambitious scientist, you won't be happy working there especially if you end up in a group run by unqualified
supervisors.
Pros
Good benefts
Cons
Poor management and disrespect towards scientists
Not a good company to work for any longer
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2018
I doubt this will be posted because it appears someone at indeed isn't posting any of the negative reviews so i will keep this brief. It is not a good company to work for any longer. Middle managers need to be expunged from their positions. B
Pros
Good work life balance. Benefits okay
Cons
Horrible, ineffective management
Productive, great technical work
Section Leader, Systems Modeling Unit (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 4, 2018
Great place to work. Kids in college now. SO I am ready for a change and ready to relocate and explore options. I have definitely enjoyed and continue to enjoy SFWMD
Pros
culture, balance, supporting env
Cons
Bad economy, no pay raise for anyone for 8 years
Dynamic government agency
Lead Water Conservation/Media Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 27, 2018
As far as government agencies go, this one is run more like a business. It's efficient; the people are dedicated and talented; and the agency's environmental focus is a point of pride for its employees.
Can be great place to work
Scientist 3 (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 2, 2018
The district can be a great place to work depending on what section you are in. There are many different strong personality types so you need to be able to work well with others
Pros
good benefits, Alternative work schedules
Cons
Bad management in some areas, not good at promoting from within
This place taught me a lot.
II Tier IT Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLJune 26, 2018
I loved working at this place, it was however time for me to move on for a better position. I would recommend them to anyone else.
This was very fast pace environment and it kept me on my toes, but I loved those people.
Wonderful Workplace
Control Stystems Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 5, 2018
I was employed here for a year and I absolutely loved it! All of my managers were pleasant to work with and easy to talk to. I have yet to find a workplace as good as SFWMD.
Restoring the Everglades one day at a time
Senior Scientific Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 1, 2018
Probably half my time was spent in the field, traveling the Everglades by airboat or helicopter, collecting water, sediment, plant, and animal samples. I would then often process and ship the samples to a lab for analysis. Upon receipt of the analytical data I would then enter it into a spreadsheet or database and then review the accumulated data in order to write reports. My involvement, every step of the way, in the process of data collection, analysis, and interpretation gave me a great understanding of, and appreciation for, the Everglades. Spending hours in the field, year round, allowed me to live within the seasonal, and even daily, cycles of this unique environment. As a temporary employee (for 6.5 years...) I frequently found myself training someone to do part of the job I was doing, that person would then be promoted into a professional level, full time position. It often appeared to me, at least in some divisions of the District, that individuals with poor management skills would be promoted into positions "where they would do less harm", while competent lower level employees would be increasingly frustrated with an obstructive management.
Pros
Hands on experience getting to know the Everglades
Cons
Obstructive management
State job and that pretty much says it all
Diesel Engine Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 1, 2017
You could not find a more professional work environment if you tried, it is that good. I didn't mind working in the field, kept an eye on the gators and snakes, learned to laser align engine and gearboxes, was able to do a good bit if welding and fabricating which I love to do.
Pros
Great benefits
Great Place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 25, 2017
During my volunteering period, I was able to use Linux and learned a bit of C++. I also was able to use level loggers in the field work that I did in the ever glades. Overall great experience.
Pros
Good food, Good people
Cons
Cubicle environment
Fun Place to Work
Administrative/Information Technology (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 18, 2017
This was a very rewarding job. I enjoyed the people I worked with and truly felt part of a team and that my contribution was valued and needed for the benefit of the project as a whole.
Pros
On site cafeteria
Cons
good benefits and job opportunities
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 19, 2017
fast paced, challenging job in the accounting and business group within the agency. Able to use my knowledge and training in accounting while managing the daily operations
benefits
Cons
supervision, management swayed by politics wtihin company
Business model has changed
Senior Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FL 33406October 11, 2017
Work environment changed from saving the environment to helping big farms make money storing water. New hires paid lower wages as management gets more money.
Pros
Location, dedicated employees.
Cons
Too much management
Great place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJuly 5, 2017
Great place to work, I learned a lot from the HR Director while I was there. ( LOA, RTW, FMLA)
SFWMD has a heart and cares about the community, typically they have a few charity events during the year that the employees would be involved in to raise money.
Pros
Four ten hour days
Great company
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 7, 2017
Great company to work for. Would work for them again. Lost job due to cutbacks . I worked in the Accounts Payable Department. I checked all vendor invoices that were processed for accuracy. I also processed check requests and maintained all the files.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, pay raises
Cons
some employee drama
Analytic lab
Analytical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 9, 2017
I loved the atmosphere in the SFWMD. I worked under my past chemistry professor. When I started the internship I was exposed to many different equipment and techniques I never heard before.
Pros
smart people
Cons
need degree to work there
Wide range of job assignments directed over a very large infastructure.
Crane/Dragline Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLNovember 26, 2016
On a day to day basis there would be multiple projects or maintenance operations in progress. I found changes in assignments were a common occurrence due to prioritization given to the most urgent need. Over the 35 years I worked there there was always a backlog of things that could be done and even should be done. Often our work had a ever present risk of damage to equipment, vehicles and District assets. A very careful and methodical approach to any given task was important. A tightening budget had a way of making the work process tense at times.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
growing negitive public preception
grat job
crew chiaef electronics (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 18, 2017
Very good job very secure. great benefits. Excellent work hours. Worked 4 days a week. 10 hours per day. Great coworkers. Many opportunity for advancement with extra training.
Organization Decimated by Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 24, 2016
Used to be a great place to work. Now management looks for ways to criticize and diminish employees and cut tools used to do our jobs. Coworkers are great but everyone is demoralized. Looking for other opportunities. No chance for advancement and no pay increases in years. Sad what has been done to a once world class organization as so much talent and experience has been driven away.
Pros
It's a job, coworkers
Cons
Management's attitude and treatment of employees