SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Great group of guys that really helped each other out
Co-Op/ Intern Streamgauging Unit (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 3, 2019
I learned a ton about fluid flow, especially fluid flow in channels. I also became very familiar with ADCP and the equipment that goes along with it. My job consisted of analyzing and writing reports based on findings from the canals.
Pros
Great team, get to work inside and outside
Cons
Commute
Analysing Data
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition . (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 28, 2019
Typical work day includes , working with field Engineers, by crating and logging project information, and analyses budgetary data for multiple projects .
Great place to work I
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLMay 24, 2019
I like the job I would not.have work there for 37 years I miss working there I liked the people I worked with I work at Miami field.station 13 years starting in 1979 transfer to fort Lauderdale field station where I retired with 37 years I really miss it they have been good to.me I still keep in touch with my coworkers
Benefits
Cons
Rainy season long hours
Great Work Environment
Senior SCADA Systems Analysis Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 21, 2019
You will learn a lot about how the District moves water from canals to estuary . you will get good experience working with Water Managers. Monitor 24/7 SCADA SYSTEM FOR WATER CONTROLS.
Pros
Decent Benefis
Great benefits and work/life balance
Heavy Equipment Operator/ Driver (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 3, 2019
Very low stress level working here. Heavy politics. Nepotism is paramount here. If you can get over entitlement syndrome from tenured employees, supervisors that are more like puppets, and racism, then you should be ok working here. Overall a decent place to work. Way better than private sector. Hardly any stress coming from middle management. Pay could be much better.
Pros
Very understanding of ones personal life. Benefits are exceptional.
Cons
Nepotism
Great Place to Learn
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 21, 2019
The South Florida Management District is involved in many diverse aspects of science and engineering and environmental regulation. There are no shortage of people doing fascinating work, and if you are interested in learning you can be exposed to many things.
Pros
Great work, awesome benefits, dedicated staff
Cons
Uninspiring leadership, cronyism
Petty politics all day every day. Benefits change at the whim of politicians who are always looking out for themselves only.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, Ft. Lauderdale & West Palm Beach.January 6, 2019
I often enjoyed the work that I did, but it was a miserable culture. Promotions always require a pay cut, so only the laziest, sloppiest employees are willing to move up. Management and Supervisory positions were eventually degraded to laughable, ineffective and supervisors referred to as “jokes”, by their charges. Also, you can’t take drugs or drink excessively unless you are at least a supervisor. However, you can advance to a better position if you are working in the field, but also deal drugs on the side and are willing to continue that activity. I worked there for nearly 17 years and I wish I could get all of that time back. Unfortunately, this software doesn’t provide for negative values, so I couldn’t give the rating the truly deserved rating.
Pros
Working in the Everglades around abundant wildlife and a pristine environment.
Cons
Everything else.
Strong team mentallity, extrordinary staff, many oppurtunites to take on responsibilites as a professional scientist
Science Technician (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLNovember 12, 2018
The south Florida water management district was a great work environment. The team at the Okeechobee office was the best group of technicians and scientists I have had the pleasure to work with. Great environment for learning from experienced professionals.
Productive, great technical work
Section Leader, Systems Modeling Unit (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 4, 2018
Great place to work. Kids in college now. SO I am ready for a change and ready to relocate and explore options. I have definitely enjoyed and continue to enjoy SFWMD
Pros
culture, balance, supporting env
Cons
Bad economy, no pay raise for anyone for 8 years
Dynamic government agency
Lead Water Conservation/Media Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 27, 2018
As far as government agencies go, this one is run more like a business. It's efficient; the people are dedicated and talented; and the agency's environmental focus is a point of pride for its employees.
Not a good company to work for any longer
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2018
I doubt this will be posted because it appears someone at indeed isn't posting any of the negative reviews so i will keep this brief. It is not a good company to work for any longer. Middle managers need to be expunged from their positions. B
Pros
Good work life balance. Benefits okay
Cons
Horrible, ineffective management
Professional people
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 27, 2018
Professional Environment with many technical people. The company provides the tools necessary to do the work. You can always find support from other employees.
Poor management
Former Scientist (Former Employee) –  WPBAugust 5, 2018
All great scientists already left the District. Management is very poor in many sections. The fact that experts with PhDs are supervised by unqualified section leaders or so called science supervisors is just outrageous. There are great people still working there but they are often being diminished by unqualified lower and middle level managers. District used to be a great place to work, but not anymore. So if you are an accomplished and ambitious scientist, you won't be happy working there especially if you end up in a group run by unqualified
supervisors.
Pros
Good benefts
Cons
Poor management and disrespect towards scientists
Can be great place to work
Scientist 3 (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 2, 2018
The district can be a great place to work depending on what section you are in. There are many different strong personality types so you need to be able to work well with others
Pros
good benefits, Alternative work schedules
Cons
Bad management in some areas, not good at promoting from within
Restoring the Everglades one day at a time
Senior Scientific Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 1, 2018
Probably half my time was spent in the field, traveling the Everglades by airboat or helicopter, collecting water, sediment, plant, and animal samples. I would then often process and ship the samples to a lab for analysis. Upon receipt of the analytical data I would then enter it into a spreadsheet or database and then review the accumulated data in order to write reports. My involvement, every step of the way, in the process of data collection, analysis, and interpretation gave me a great understanding of, and appreciation for, the Everglades. Spending hours in the field, year round, allowed me to live within the seasonal, and even daily, cycles of this unique environment. As a temporary employee (for 6.5 years...) I frequently found myself training someone to do part of the job I was doing, that person would then be promoted into a professional level, full time position. It often appeared to me, at least in some divisions of the District, that individuals with poor management skills would be promoted into positions "where they would do less harm", while competent lower level employees would be increasingly frustrated with an obstructive management.
Pros
Hands on experience getting to know the Everglades
Cons
Obstructive management
This place taught me a lot.
II Tier IT Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLJune 26, 2018
I loved working at this place, it was however time for me to move on for a better position. I would recommend them to anyone else.
This was very fast pace environment and it kept me on my toes, but I loved those people.
Wonderful Workplace
Control Stystems Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 5, 2018
I was employed here for a year and I absolutely loved it! All of my managers were pleasant to work with and easy to talk to. I have yet to find a workplace as good as SFWMD.
Great Place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 25, 2017
During my volunteering period, I was able to use Linux and learned a bit of C++. I also was able to use level loggers in the field work that I did in the ever glades. Overall great experience.
Pros
Good food, Good people
Cons
Cubicle environment
Fun Place to Work
Administrative/Information Technology (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 18, 2017
This was a very rewarding job. I enjoyed the people I worked with and truly felt part of a team and that my contribution was valued and needed for the benefit of the project as a whole.
Pros
On site cafeteria
Cons
State job and that pretty much says it all
Diesel Engine Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 1, 2017
You could not find a more professional work environment if you tried, it is that good. I didn't mind working in the field, kept an eye on the gators and snakes, learned to laser align engine and gearboxes, was able to do a good bit if welding and fabricating which I love to do.
Pros
Great benefits