South Nassau Communities Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
Working as intern... others employees are helpful .
Parking is problem in this hospital.
Hours are you flexible but too many patients. It’s good learning place for internship.
But they’re not interested in foreign students.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Parking problem
Easy
Pharmacy Intern (APPE) (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYJanuary 4, 2018
I would describe a typical day at work as smooth. I would help with controlling the business flow of the store or stock. I learned how to cooperate with customers of different ethnicities. The management team could've been better. The job culture is very friendly. The hardest part of the job is having to pick up the slack for others. I worked with a staff with very few male employees. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the creative ideas the staff would create for the holidays.
A Hospital with Great Culture
Director of Nursing Women and Children Services (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYJanuary 2, 2018
South Nassau Communities Hospital is an institution with the commitment to patient safety and quality of care that promotes great professional relationships and job ethics.
A great community hospital with a wonderful reputation.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYDecember 12, 2017
I worked at South Nassau Communities Hospital for 10 years and was fortunate to have worked in three specialty areas. My first 2 and 1/2 yrs. I worked in a 28 bed locked psychiatric unit, which was one of the best environments I have ever worked in. Everyone from the supervising staff to the psych techs were truly compassionate and caring always putting the patient first.
I was able to transfer to maternal child health and labor and delivery when I felt the need for a change. I loved my experiences in labor and delivery. Many days were challenging, but overall extremely rewarding.
Pros
Opportunity for growth. Great comraderie.
Cons
12 hr. night shift work & working on Thanksgiving.
Nice place to work. The unit I worked on was very well staffed. We worked very hard, but there was always help when you needed it.
Staff Nurse, Endoscopy Unit (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYDecember 9, 2017
The hospital is full of especially nice people, meaning the nurses, PCAs , Xray techs,and lab techs. Pleasant environment, hospital is clean, stocked well. The employee cafeteria has great food.
Pros
Healthcare Plan is comprehensive and relatively inexpensive.
Cons
Lowest paying hospital for nurses on long island. Working overtime is expected.
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYDecember 3, 2017
I was volunteered for South Nassau Hospital as office clerk. I volunteered for admitting, endoscopy, volunteer offfice pain management doing labeling, file clerk.
Cons
30 minutes of break
Fair
Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYNovember 27, 2017
Morning starts with a brief regarding patient care to transition nicely to the next shift. Workplace is fun, HR is always looking for ways to make the hospital a happier place to work in.
Great place to start in healthcare
Patient Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYNovember 14, 2017
Company culture is based on serving the community. Welcoming staff, and Administration . Decent starting pay rate, with increase after probationary period. Room for advancement in multiple departments.
the work place is great
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYNovember 2, 2017
the overall experience is great. This hospital is a great place to work.
the management take care of the employees. the hospital is easy to get to and parking is free.
Fun, Fast Paced and Fulfilling
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NY 11572October 24, 2017
fast paced environment however care team very helpful to one another; report briefings on a shift by shift basis and regular patient care assessment.
High patient satisfaction due to medical and healthcare team commitment and caring dedication to wholeness.
Pros
They try to work with you on the work schedule
Cons
Always short staffed and Poor Management

Want to know more about South Nassau Communities Hospital?

Ask a question
great place just too far from home and no advancement
Surgical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYOctober 20, 2017
I love working at South but I moved further away and the commute is rough along with continued added work with no advance in salary. no over time is given either.
Over the years atmosphine declined
Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYOctober 18, 2017
In the years that I have been employed at this location, the employee morals has declined. Management does not does not train employees properly. Nurses overworked Dr.'s treat patien3ts as numbers.
Amazing staff & colleagues, understaffed, very poor management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYOctober 8, 2017
Worked as an RN on a cardiac unit.
Staff and colleagues are very nice and friendly. They are the reason you can survive in this place.

Floor staff are being overworked, stressed, and having to handle unsafe situation due to mismanagement and poor protocol enforcement.

There is EGO war and ugly politics in management.

New protocols put in place and used as a "bandaid" instead of really digging into an issue and solve it ( which is usually UNDERSTAFF!)

every 3 month there are mandatory classes to teach and reinforce new and existing protocol.
Unfortunately most of the classes time is used to teach things that are IRRELEVANT anymore!

The reason you have massive recruitments, its because the more senior staff is leaving for better conditions.

I will say that they are trying to treat staff with holiday parties and try to recognize floor staff efforts.

but having to work in an environment that makes you to deal with unsafe situations and risk compromise patient care is really sad and scary.
Pros
Nice and helpfull staff and colleagues
Cons
understaffed, poor management
poor management and administration who has lost touch with the average worker
Staff Educator (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 23, 2017
Have been employed here for over twenty years; used to speak positive about the community atmosphere, long gone. Now a stressful place to work with staff changing faster than you can blink.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
poor communication
South Nassau
Assistant to the Nurse Managers (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 20, 2017
While working here, I was just starting my career in healthcare management. The organization provided me the basis of what it takes to operate on a management level within a fairly large hospital but lacked the proper HR management. There are many internal issues that occur within HR that are not acceptable for their employees.
Fun place to work
Unit Clerk ASU Post op (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 19, 2017
This hospital is a great place to work. The holiday parties are the best. For employee appreciation week they have a party in the cafeteria with raffles, games and a DJ. I loved working here.
volunteer
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Rockville Centre, NYSeptember 17, 2017
I love it there
good place to volunteer
management it great
great team
theirs nothing hard about the job
you come in when you want
you have a uniform
Pros
they give you a slip for a snack for free, great team
Cons
their arent any, i volunteer
Overall great environment to work in
Human Resources Associate (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Overall, South Nassau Communities Hospital is a great place to work. it is a multicultural and diverse environment. In the years that I have working there, I have been able to learn a lot about Human Resources and HR laws and regulations.
Great Health Administration Environment
Secretary - Safety & Security (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 8, 2017
I worked in the Safety & Security Department as an assistant to the Director. We ran a tight ship and handled various safety & security measures for the hospital. Most enjoyable part of the day was a day without any slips and falls, thefts or accidents.
Lowest paid hospital in industry on Long Island
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 5, 2017
A comparison was done and Winthrop, Catholic Health System and Northwell all pay significantly more than South Nassau. South Nassau's Administration is top heavy with over 22 Vice Presidents. The top receive bonuses while employees only receive a 2% raise every October. The health insurance is Blue Cross with high copays at $40 per office visit. The culture is rudeness.
Consultants were paid to come in and teach all employees about words that work. Its a sad day when you have to retrain adults had to speak nicely to other co-workers.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Pay, Paid time off, Benefits