South Peninsula Hospital Employee Reviews

Self-absorbed management
Hospital Employee (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKMarch 20, 2019
I've never worked around people who were so full of themselves as some of people running the hospital. Extremely difficult to work with, unless your mission was to boost ego's.

I did get to work with a great group of people who took exceptionally good care of the patients, but sad to say the good ones usually didn't stick around long. The turn over rate was insane for such a small facility. For a place that was supposed to help and make people healthy it sure didn't provide a healthy work environment. You could just see the stress and unhappiness on everyone's face as you walked down the halls.
Pros
The employees were wonderful
Cons
BAD Management
Just don't
Not Disclosed (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKOctober 19, 2018
I had high hopes when coming to South Peninsula Hospital but in the short time I have been here, I have disappointed countless times by the lack of opportunity for growth and development available. Management is frenzied at all times and the relationship between management and the union is contentious at best. It is an extremely stressful environment, with very high employee turnover. The overall work environment is unpleasant and it starts from the top administrators and trickles down.
Pros
Great people, good cafeteria
Cons
Poorly managed, high turnover
Made me do this.
Dietary Cook (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKJune 3, 2018
I am not taking part. I do not understand why I have to fill this out to use this website. I just want to find another job by using Indeed to find the job postings.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKMay 26, 2018
Great place to work. They offer a lot with our community like half off gym membership, fresh local produce and meat. So much more. Love the people I work with and I really enjoy my job.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Seniority for positions, takes a long time to get a full time position
Fun work place with great management and employees
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKMay 4, 2018
I loved working at South Peninsula Hospital. It's a great work environment with very hard working friendly management and employees. I would highly recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Great benefits, work environment, and staff. Holiday parties and events for employees and family
Cons
Everyone that I worked around with people persons
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLApril 20, 2018
It was a fun place to work at everyone there was very nice I love my job I love working around the elderly people I would love to work there again the people there are very lovable and very nice and
Pros
West. Park
Cons
A 15 minute break
Good
Primary & Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKApril 3, 2018
A union based culture. I was bumped several times for a job that I relocated for d/t former employees coming back to SPH for a (seasonal) job, displacing me b/c of seniority. I then had to scramble and take a LTC position to makes ends meet. This was passed over as the norm, when it disrupted my life and my job placement.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Unionized
Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKMarch 12, 2018
South peninsula hospital is a beautiful place to work for. All staff are helpful and great. Management was great as well. The scheduling as very good.
Employee actives where fun
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKJanuary 5, 2018
I was on the activities committee early in my career at the hospital. i found it very bonding with coworkers from different areas and different department.
Pros
Food service is amazing.
Cons
Politics
Stressful
Interim Controller (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKJanuary 4, 2018
The staff was great. The CFO did not know what they were doing and did not want to learn anything from the staff. Overall, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable.
Pros
staff
Cons
management
Survey Results
Environmental Services, Laundry, Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKJanuary 1, 2018
I only worked briefly at the hospital for a short time. Great place to work. I worked cleaning the ER and other parts of the hospital operating rooms, etc. Great job but I wanted to move back to the lower 48 states.
Pros
Great place great benefits
Fantastic Rural Hospital
Traveler (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKOctober 18, 2017
Up and coming Hospital in Homer, Alaska with a lot to offer if you have the skill set and can work in a surgical environment. Work life balance is great, if you are the outdoors type then this destination is what you want.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Location in the world, prepare to give up life amenities and live simple.
Horrible management, no training, terrible doctors
RN (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKSeptember 20, 2017
Worst hospital I have ever worked at. Doctors are incompetent, but will blame other staff for their mistakes when they happen(and they happen frequently). The management is a joke(and a bad one at that). Managers usually lasted 4-5 months, because they realized the place is a circus. One Manager left after a week with no notice at all because it's so bad. The turnover in nursing is laughable. I was there for 13 months when I assumed seniority in my department. Do not work for this hospital. You have about a 99% chance of hating it, and leaving.
Pros
Good cafeteria, beautiful town, excellent bathrooms
Cons
Literally everything except said cafeteria and bathrooms
Supports their Employees!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKAugust 21, 2017
I like the way they promote from inside. I believe that shows they care about us as individuals and not just as an employee. I believe this is just another way of how they work to take care of our community.
Pros
Cafeteria is Great!
Cons
No coffee shop.
Fun place to work
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKMay 19, 2017
The employee are compassionate and motivated to assist patients and exceed in meeting their needs. Everyone encompasses the values making SPH a great place to work.
Fair enough
Estech (Former Employee) –  Homer AlaskaOctober 9, 2016
Just work work and work don't mind the work politics. 😀 I enjoyed and made real friends .

Accommodating management
Health care is good
Overall/ a good place to be with
Pros
Some occasions the management gives ticket for meals.
Cons
Go along with the flow. Just work and do your thing . All is well.
An enjoyable place to work.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKDecember 12, 2015
I worked the night shift. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. Management was helpful with any issue. I really enjoyed the residents.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
It was night shift.
Director Of Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Homer, AKApril 8, 2014
South Peninsula Hospital is rated in the top 100 Critical Access Hospitals in the country.
Pros
Sits on Kachemak Bay
Cons
Cold winters
Medical Technologist/ Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKFebruary 4, 2014
This hospital has the best management and leadership in the state of Alaska.
Pros
Location.
Horrible management union relationship
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKJuly 17, 2012
I have never worked at a job where so many good people were allowed to be bullied. The union is aggressive and negative, and management is weak.

At lot of very good, skilled, and dedicated employees do their very best to provide excellent service and care to the community. If you choose to work at South Peninsula Hospital go with God because no one else will help you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Peninsula Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

South Peninsula Hospital Reviews by Location