South Shore Mental Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very friendly and inclusive team
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAMay 27, 2018
Care Coordinator is exciting. Helping people get services they need to stabilize while working with a great team makes going to work enjoyable. Very challenging and requires creative thinking outside the box sometimes to achieve desired outcome.
Pros
Great work environment, great ma avement
Cons
Wear and tear o. Perso al vehicle
great place to learn and grow
Intensive Community Support Mobile case Manager (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAMay 21, 2018
Great place to gain knowledge and an introduction to psychcoloy and human behavior incuding addiction treatment. Also tenured staff members bring valuable experience with willingness to share and help people grow. I started at south shore as a relief cousolor on a respite unit and was given opportunities to support individuals in many aspects of psychiatric treatment. I worked at the company for 7 plus years and only resigned after moving to another part of the state and could no longer handle the commute.
Pros
great people and facilities
Cons
often under staffed and lot of driving for various positons
Central Registration Nightmare
Central Registration (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 30, 2018
This has to be one of the worst companies to work for. Employees are underpaid and underappreciated. Front desk is constantly understaffed everyone is stretched thin to cover the open positions. We are expected to put 200% effort in everyday to be treated like animals in a circus.
Clients are not first priority and end up with multiple therapists over there time of treatment due to the fact that clinicians and prescribers don't stay very long after they figure out how the company operates.

Communication is weak and management has no intentions of improving it.
Cons
Poor management, Low pay, Poor communication
good
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 2, 2018
Good place to get your feet wet if starting off in the mental health field. Came across a lot of situations and events that helped me better help people who suffer from mental illnesses.
Pros
experience
Cons
not enough hours
Comfortable place to learn and grow
Health and Wellness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 27, 2018
My time at South Shore Mental Health was brief but I the experiences I had while I was there will stay with me throughout my career. The staff was supportive and helpful while I transitioned into the position and given the diverse population of clients, I learned so much from them all.
Good place to start off but lack of advancement
Central Registration Clerk/ Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 29, 2018
SSMH is a good place to start as an entry-level worker and build skills on a temporary basis. OR for a seasoned vet who is not concerned with money -someone who wants to work to stay busy. There is not enough advancement for front desk/ billing admins, especially after the first two years. The company does not give raises unless you change to another position. Employees' pay, which is a hairline above minimum wage, is very low compared to the ever-increasing workload and the health benefits are very costly. However, there are plenty of good people within the company. In general, direct supervisors/managers and coworkers are friendly and helpful.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Low salary
Relief Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 22, 2018
A typical day involves working with clients on their ADLs, providing transportation, and dispensing medication. There is training provided for MAP and First Aid and CPR.
Review Summary
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 5, 2018
Flexible job that involves some transportation but the majority of the work is psychology-based. Good learning environment where cooperation and communication are important.
Pros
Flexible
Excellent training programs
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 4, 2018
Great training programs and supervision. Excellent care provided to clients and competent, supportive cowering environment. Ability to advance and build specialty areas. Flexible, create your own schedule benefit.
it was a great experience
Residential Rehabilitation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MADecember 7, 2017
the company is filled with many opportunities and a overall great place to work
the people are great
the clients are great
the benefuts are great
overall just a great experience
Great job for learning.
Caseworker /Residential relief (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 18, 2017
This job is high paced and you have to be able to independently motivate. You get a great overview of human services and interact with multiple agencies; DMH, Boston housing, SSI and Homeless shelters and OP providers. You work with adults with mental difficulties with some having the co-morbidity of substance abuse, homelessness and poverty. It's a great job to learn and grow and help people become more independent with the integration of community, groups and life skills.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
high paced/stressful
A horrible place to work with awful management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, RIAugust 21, 2017
They treat their employees terribly. Management is awful. I would never work there again. They have become part of lifespan now but I still wouldn't work there.
Pros
I made some good frinds
Cons
Too many to list but mainly the management
not a good place
Clinical Therapist and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAAugust 14, 2017
There were always changes to the systems there and things were never clear. The supervision was not consistant, and office space was limited which made things very hard.
Pros
hours
Cons
location
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 27, 2017
I enjoy working there. I enjoy working with the clients. I never have a boring day at work. My co workers are great to work with. I can say I love going to work everyday.
no coment
Account Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAMay 16, 2017
no support from management no trust do not treat staff with respect very dysfunctional work place company doe not value the staff treat the like pawns in a chess game
A supportive team environment
Clinical Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 23, 2017
A supportive team environment to facilitate my clinical skills. I have worked with this agency for 10 years and felt clinically supported through my job experiences. I would recommend this company to post graduate students in Counseling.
Pros
Great management team
Cons
Expensive health insurance
I'm one of the lucky ones...
clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 1, 2016
I have an exceptional clinical supervisor. If it was not for this person, I would have left his job already. Compensation is ridiculous and there are no opportunities for advancement or promotion with this company. It is fee-for-service so you basically have to run yourself Into the ground if you are a single person trying to support Yourself. They do not offer much more compensation for additional licenses and certifications that you may hold. No compensation is offered (other then below state/fed minimum in terms of mileage ) for crazy wear & tear on your vehicle as you are required to use your own car. So basically you are giving them your car, and you use your own cell phone for all business calls which they compensate poorly for as well in my opinion. It's definitely tough to pay your bills if this is your only source of income. The benefits to working here are flexible hours and wonderful HR department, and as I mentioned I personally have had good luck with supervision. High turnover rate for clinicians. Clientele is straight mass health/Medicaid/welfare clients. Neighborhoods traveled to can be dicey and sketchy.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor compensation, safety is sometimes compromised, no compensation for our use of travel time. No real promotion or advancement.
It's a good job for starting out in the field
Residential Rehabilitation Educator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 18, 2016
Management poor, pay is worst I've seen in the field, 3-11 hours are no fun but that's what you get for working residential and just starting off in your career! The job was easy, residents mainly kept to themselves. Overall out of the two houses I worked at, some staff were good but a lot were lazy and unhappy. Did seem to be some room for advancement which is a plus if you actually liked the company. All in all not a well kept company.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Pay, upper management disorganized
Great for entry level
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 11, 2016
This job is very flexible and is great for parent, newly graduates and those who are looking for part time position. If you are experienced in the field and can work independently, this is a plus.
Pros
Provides funds to clients in need
Cons
Entry level
Not a great place
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 17, 2016
Very unsafe and unclean work area. Old Facility. No pay raises. High turnover rate. omitting certain narcotics from count. Not disposing of narcotics in a timely fashion.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
dinner from same place...every.. single... night