Southcoast Health System Employee Reviews

great coworkers, not a great company
Food and Nutrition Worker (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 20, 2018
I loved the people I worked with but the company has frequent raise freezes, few benefits and borderline illegal overtime policies (One girl was told that if she missed work to be with her dangerously sick family member that she would have to make up her used sick time by doing a double shift.) Employees of all departments are frequently denied vacation time due to constant under staffing. One of the three bosses is very helpful and caring but the other two only care about having a body there to cover a shift even if the person is not trained. Southcoast claims it needs more budget cuts when in reality the budget report has a surplus. It is a great quick job to make a lot of money fast but I would not recommend it long term for mental health.
Pros
almost guaranteed hours, good pay
Cons
little to no benefits, management is manipulative, little home/family time
Strong Healthcare System is Southcoast MA
ERP Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairhaven, MAOctober 5, 2018
I held both Technical and Business Analyst potions with the company. Strong IT presence with opportunity to learn and advance. Healthcare always poses challenges as patient care is top priority.
Pros
Benefits, Strong IT Leadership
Cons
Healthcare Non-Profit
Very enjoyable place to work
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MADecember 18, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Southcoast Health systems. New ideas were welcome and team effort was great. The salary was fare and they gave me days off as needed
Pros
Team effort
Cons
N/a
Nice place to work
Switchboard Operator/Medical Answering Service (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MASeptember 6, 2018
Fast paced, very busy. Friendly people.Able to transfer within the system. Benefits, sick time and holiday time paid. Credit Unions on site. Matched 401k.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Very busy
People are great, compensation could be better
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairhaven, MAJuly 11, 2018
Southcoast Health is one of the largest employers in the region, but compensation is pretty poor. Benefits are good, but employees have to wait 2 years before company match to 403B contributions.
Pros
people-oriented
Cons
compensation, company match to 403B after 2 yrs
I only left due to moving to RI
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJune 15, 2018
I only left southcoast due to moving to RI. If I had not moved I would be there since 1980 at this time almost 40 years. I actually tried a lateral move to Charleton Memorial but could not do the traveling
Pros
good benefits
Cons
distance after moving
productive day
set schedule
no weekends
office managers are supportive
very busy office
staff to patient ratio great
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
very much like high school
Medical Assistant - Externship, South University (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 28, 2018
Being an intern means in this case that I was assumed to know nothing. The management openly corrected me in front of a patient, very unprofessional. There are different specialties housed at this campus and although a majority of the nurses were helpful, there was a sense of being an outsider if you were not part of a specific group of coworkers. I did enjoy the opportunity to meet and be a part of different specialties and did learn a great deal but the overall environment felt cold and unwelcoming.
Pros
exposure to many different specialities
Cons
hostile environment from management
Work Hours are long
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Fairhaven, MAApril 15, 2018
Work Hours are long, pay is limited for performance raises to limited 1-3% percent. Our 5 person department worked 2 people short so there was a lot of stress to complete work
Enjoy working there benefits have changed
Environmental Services-Housekeeper 1 (Current Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAFebruary 13, 2018
I enjoy my job very much.I am concerned with the benefits as they have decreased substantially over the few years I have been there. I think this is a good place to begin a career, but dependent on what area you work in will determine how long of a career you can have with Southcoast Health.
Pros
direct supervisor is excellent
Cons
fewer/lesser benefits
housekeeping
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJanuary 2, 2019
The job itself wasn't bad but the management was awful they don't know how to run the place. They are really selfish. They are focus on quantity instead of quality. They don't are about their employee's although they like to make you think they do. Just a very bad place to be at.
Like many similar jobs I would imagine, work/life balance is difficult.
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  N Dartmouth, MAJuly 26, 2018
Ability to work independently but work/life balance is difficult in this position (however, more likely due to position than the company). Staff is great to work with.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Lack of breaks, job stress, work/life balance
provided 47 yrs of service
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MANovember 17, 2018
Enjoyable workplace very friendly atmosphere. Management was very cooperative in providing feedback when confronted. Highly recommend working for Southcoast.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
schedule
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 17, 2018
I had a bad experience with South Coast towards the end. the management staff is not for their employees they are for self. Once you are employed there and decided to go back to school the practice manager rather you resign than work PRN.
Pros
different environment
Cons
bad management
Referral Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fairhaven, MAAugust 16, 2017
This company is wonderful to work for. They provide excellent patient care and a competitive salary. They are involved with the communities they represent and always strive for excellence.
A typical day in the office would range from very busy with multiple providers seeing 30+ patient's a day to very slow when only 1 doctor is in the office the entire day.
The most enjoyable part to this job, has definitely been getting to know the patient's on a more personal level. They love to share their highs & lows and love to hear about what is going on with you as well. They are the main part of healthcare and why we do what we do. My patient's have enjoyed watching my daughter grow over the years through pictures on my desk and continue to ask about her and her future endeavors. They make my job easier and more enjoyable.
Varied opportunities available and great benefits
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MADecember 7, 2017
Secure positions available for those that don't mind working hard. Alot of variety available for shifts and career advancement. Great benefits and time off.
Pros
Time off, benefits, variety of available positions and advancement.
Cons
I don't have any cons regarding my employer
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 6, 2018
I worked as a Medical Assistant and a Medicare wellness Nurse
I did vital signs on each patient along with medication reconciliation and medical history update. Called in prescriptions, called insurance companies to authorize prior authorizations, Performed EKG for physicians, and help set up for procedures and PAP smears.
Home Care Liaison
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJuly 28, 2018
worked with Case manager regarding pt's discharge plan,set up VNA services,order DME ie: wheelchairs,walker,hospital bed,Hoyer lift,Oxygen & tube feeding/supplies.Document in EPIC.Met with some obstacles in getting DME ordered.Getting patients home safely with everything they needed to be safe at home and hopefully not have to return to hospital,unless absolutely necessary.
Pros
worked with a great group of people
Cons
difficulty with ins.providers, DME providers not delivering equip.when needed, not all but a couple
Supervisor
Patient Care Representative (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MANovember 12, 2018
Supervisor was nasty to staff. She abused staff verbally and there was a lot of pressure with the job.
I liked the job, but could workers were also talking behind your back to supervisor and not alwaysvsupportive
Physicians
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAOctober 27, 2018
I love the physicians that I work for. Have worked with them for over fourteen years and could not have asked for better bunch of physicians. They are very understanding of the work load that the employees have on a daily basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southcoast Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight