Southeastern Grocers

Clear
2.9Pay & Benefits

Southeastern Grocers insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Good first job

Pay is fair, sometimes management isnt the best but overall its an alright place to work. I dont hate it but I dont love it either. Its pretty easy unless you have a difficult customer which doesnt happen a lot.

Pros

5% discount, nice coworkers, fair pay, half hour breaks, compliance with local laws for minors

Cons

management, often left as the only cashier working, poor computer systems which lead to problems in customer service

Great place to work. Great pharmacists

Loved working there. Wish I had more hours buy they did not closed down the pharmacy or I would have still been there . I was busy. Patients are great

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Not enpugh hours

Only worry about the bottom dollar not employees.

Cutthroats and only care about the almighty dollar, not employees. They want to think they do but it’s not true. Make many promises but no follow through. You go years without a raise.

Pros

Cons

Don’t care about employees.

Good company to work for

It has a good work environment. Management is great very supportive and helpful. Employees are diverse and friendly. The schedule is flexible but full time employment not available.

Pros

management, good atmosphere to work in

Cons

pay, full time option not available

Was a good place to work

Was originally a great place to work but the company decided to sale or close all the BI-LO stores to get itself out of debt from the idiots running the company. Won’t be long till it goes down hill and has no way to get out.

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Bad upper management and made too many bad decisions.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Not the worst, but definitely could be better

Low pay, few benefits, perpetually understaffed, even before Covid. Hard to get a FT position, even if you constantly work 35+ hours per week. Hard to get a decent wage, unless you bust your butt for years & finally decide to quit. They will try to work with your schedule, with proper notice, for school, other jobs, etc. It's easy to get up to 39 hours per week, as long as you're a good worker, as they're almost always short-staffed.

Pros

Some flexibility, job security

Cons

Low pay, high turnover

Productive and room for growth but with lots of challenges

Company is going towards the right direction with positive changes. However with lots of challenges. As a 10 year veteran in the company they really need to look into salaries by area. Which they they do in a certain extent but no where near enough. $9 an hour starting off in most areas for FL is okayish but not in miami/ft lauderdale, and especially the keys. As a manager I struggled keeping employees going to competitors which they offered 14 to 16 an hour depending on company. For managerial positions they payed 1.5x to 2x of my salary for similar position. They need to pay competitive. They need bump salary managers to mid to late 50k minimum in miami/ft lauderdale and the keys mid 60k. Should put in to allow for performance raises every year or 6 months.Higher up are very experience and they know what there doing most of the time. However they allow favoritism or allowing laziness/incompetency in certain stores which they know and send in other managers or employees to help while my store never received help in time of crisis. They need to reinstate assistant managers to allow work life balance. Lot of times good stores are relied on certain managers and employees but they need breaks, or weekends. If they are out equals choas most of the time. For me specifically I was fine with that regards but I knew other managers with that issue.Lots of things to work out but getting better they really need to see what their competitors doing with their employees and retaining talent.

Pros

Pto, Sick, Health, Growth

Cons

Salaries for locations, work life balance

Good schedules but lower pay than competitors

Play is far lower than allotted local grocery stores. Schedules are generally flexible. Employee work load is too high as corporate is always cutting the labor while expecting more work to be done

Falling Well Beneath Potential, Very Disappointing

Unfortunately, I have very little positive to say and this company was extremely disappointing to me. I worked in the Human Resources department, and observed rampant wage compression, a severe lack of career pathing, very few job postings and growth opportunities, unchecked favoritism, fake "diversity", low accountability, outdated policies, and leadership that was fixated on looking like a great company rather than actually being one. My leaders seemed supported, repeatedly telling me that I was bright and had potential, but they did not step up to actually invest in me and aid me in growing my career. I was very poorly paid, even with a Bachelor's Degree, and was not allowed consideration for a raise, even after taking on additional responsibility. I was also not allowed overtime regardless of the workload or if a team member was out of the office. The overall experience served to deepen my passion for working in Human Resources, as I learned how NOT to treat employees, what NOT to do as a leader and what kind of company I do NOT want to be employed with in the future.

Pros

In general, the people were kind, which is why I gave this two stars instead of just one.

Cons

Extremely outdated and unfair pay practices, extensive lack of accountability, unchecked favoritism, serious lack of career pathing, "fake" diversity, and consistent lack of integrity.

Not Much Opportunity For Growth

OverallHigh turnover rate because there isn’t much room for growth, and the pay doesn’t seem very competitive. The company seems to hire from the outside rather than promoting from the inside. Expect to get thrown more work for the same pay.

Horrible Pay!!!

Terrible Pay, I work harder than my co-workers but I'm the least paid out of the group. I work in grocery and get stuck with dog food pallets. Management is to old fashioned and very cheap. SEG is a broke company, the already filed for bankruptcy.

Pros

Good scheduling

Cons

Horrible pay, old stores, horrible benefits, bad management

Consistent work with direct influence towards your own schedule.

Covid-19 hit right after I was hired so I did not see my hours stay consistent for very long, but, when things calmed down I had stable hours working night shifts and if i were to change my schedule I was assured it would have been done promptly through any of the store managers.

Pros

Good experience, late hours or morning shifts available, very little inactivity.

Cons

As a grocery associate, you will be working much harder than your associates but will be payed the same.

be prepared for any situation

it was a great experience just poor management. the pay wasn’t average but it was good. you get a proper walk through training could be better overall it was a good experience.

Pros

good work area

Cons

poor management

Alright

Not the best job ever gets really boring but they pay very well and you get to travel many different places things are boring but sometimes there's entertainment

Winn dixie

The company mainly cares more for their customers then their employees. Southeastern grocers mainly care for profits and offer raises after 1 year of employment and only up to .25.

Insurance and full-time employment.

Very stressful environment due to extensive under staffing. There is no professionalism with certain members of management. Not everyone works as a team player. My perspective is that at least ninety percent of the employees come into work because they have bills to pay and have to make a living in order to survive, not because they actually like their jobs, they are there for the paycheck....

Fun place to work, but not paid fairly most of the time for the work/position you do.

Its a pretty good place to work with friendly co-workers and on-edge management. You can confidently go up to your management staff for support and assistance. Low benefits for Part-Time associates and cashiers are paid well. If you work another position it is usually underpaid. Very flexible scheduling to fit your needs.

N/a

The company is great to work for and it pays fairly well. I think that the company is doing an awesome job remodeling stores to make the company more competitive.

Pros

Great Pay

Cons

Work life Balance

The culture change is fake

The talk is good but there is little REAL change is happening. You are valued based on your time at your desk regardless of how much you are getting done. Salary means 50 hours per week.

Not to bad!

to each it own you may like working here or you may not some days was good some days was not some worker was nice some was not but that's at every job no job that I know have a 100% good 100% per not good...

If you want a part time job and are willing to work weekends, this is it.

Part time employer. 20 hours a week as a cashier. You can get a little more money if you are able to work service desk. Pay is less than Walmart and Target but not as stressful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southeastern Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Southeastern Grocers with

• Southeastern Grocers
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?