Southerland, Inc.

Working at Southerland, Inc.: 21 Reviews

United States21 reviews

Ok job for kids coming out of high school

Ok for kids coming out of high school. It is a nice first job for somebody. Over all it a nice beginners job. But make sure you you have on p p e on cause you will get poke with the springs.

Misleading place to work!

They tell you things to get you to come on board that never happen! Communication is minimal. Equipment is sub par. Lots of down time due to customers not open all day.

Southerland, Inc. insights

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

No micromanaging you best know your job

Been here almost a month ,it’s not your average typical truck job it’s a little bit different delivering mattresses.I like the weekends off.Pay is not bad.

Corporate Office Employee

Caring company culture, great benefits, friendly coworkers, and family like atmosphere. Flexibility in schedule if time off is needed. Always feel supported.

Hard Worker

Love a challenge, Teamwork, Learning New things,and Opportunity to move up the Ladder. Also an God-Fearing man that believes in helping others no matter the race or age. Always want to see others do better or achieve their goals in LIFE.

Office Employee

management is unprofessional. Office setting is not diverse and neither is the atmosphere. Most of staff there is salary the few that are hourly are not expected to take any unexpected time off when “life” happens without it eventually counting against you. Insensitive conversations and attitudes. If you want to work in a fair and diverse environment this is not the setting for you.

Its A Job!

Im A Grateful! Ive been woth the company for 20 years... The job has an incentive that pays an extra dollar an hour... Great location and the hours leave you a life...

Meat grinding facility

They would have new people in all the time the bosses have been in the same positions for years and are complacently jaded. They promise bonuses that they never deliver on always finding the smallest excuse. they are untrustworthy.

Lousy management

There is major finger pointing between shift and management doesn't weed out the bad employees but instead point blame at veterans which is why I'm looking to leave

Ok place to work.

I think working at Southerland Transport is an ok place to work it's laid-back and they treat you fairly however I wish the the hours were more consistent and dependable.

Cool place to work

I liked working for Southerland. The staff was very caring and the work life balance was amazing. There was always open communication between employer and employees. The work environment was very chill.

Overall a good place to work .

The people are nice , you do your work and go home , nice and easy day .no stress . I like the opportunity I have , harder then you would expect but nothing too much .

great place to work

The management is exceptional. This company has a very laid back work environment and awesome co-workers. Definite potential for company growth as a long term small business.

Pros

work from home or on the go

Cons

loud "office dog" barks as visitors come and go

C level - more concern for customers than for employees

The company is staffed by nice people standing on the decks of the Exxon Valdez while the captain steers towards the rocks and managers scream into the wind.

Pros

Pride in learning to swim by being tossed into the deep end of the pool

Cons

C level pushing you down with gaffing hooks

Practical job

Newer trucks ,very great job to have for bedding delivery , great trucks and locations, great beds the outlets management was outstanding. I learned how time management as a driver is very crucial.

OK Company

Decent company for beginning a driving career, but not a great place for advancement or pay increase. Some of the management says things that can be perceived to be racially insensitive to put it mildly but the buddy system is so strong you have to ignore his ignorance and focus on your goals. Pay was ok but I didn't like unloading a 53' trailer filled with mattresses and know that you are only getting fifteen bucks per stop.

Pros

Decent Pay

Cons

Poor Manager who needs diversity training

decent pay but u earn every penny of it.

decent job but alot of lifting and hot work there trailers were old and not up to date. if u need a day off for a dr, appt is almost impossible. all they cared about was getting there product delivered. they could care less about the driver

Pros

decent pay

Cons

heavy lifting unloading trucks by hand and hot work inside the trailer

Great owner, nice people

Company has been up and down but always pulls through by the dedication and hard work of the owner. The staff reflect the genuine nature of the owner making it a very pleasant place to work.

Pros

Concerned, invloved, honest owner.

Cons

Company is in an extreemly competitive market, future unknown

Hard work

i work evenings it was about thirty people that work with me .i mostly work by my self on the dock,or getting supply's as needed. it was not a lot of talking

Pros

near home

Cons

lay offs

Looking forward to a daily Challange

As the summary says...this type of business brings some sort of surprises on a daily basis. It is not boring at all. It requires that I spend time in the manufacturing floor and enjoy working with the people. A team player and get all managers to participate and get involved in the decision making. They need to feel they are part of the ownership of the project. The mattress industry continues to be a labor intensive operation and have learned that people are the most important resource. I am involved with the sales management team and product design which makes this even more enjoyable and at the same time very challenging. Designing a product not only for feel but how it looks (in other words...mattress tailoring & packaging) catered to women which make over 75% of the purchases is sometimes hard but at the same time very exciting. This makes one of the most enjoyable part of my job...designing and producing a product where people spent 1/3 of their life.

Pros

Health Benefits

Cons

it's a just in time operation...we stay until the job gets done

A Bed Factory that is an constantly moving and will have your day flying by

TSP receiving days start at 6 am and run till 2:30pm or later on Monday through Friday. First thing in the morning a 53 foot semi trailer rolls in loaded with raw foam materials that are ready to be unloaded. Checking in the foam and matching the materials with the packing list and purchase order typically take about thirty minutes, and the unload takes about an hour. From then on various shipping couriers arrive throughout the day at different times with various springs, cloth, lumber, plastic components and just about anything else that anyone might think of that goes into constructing a bed. All throughout the 65,000 square foot facility are teams of workers carrying out the manufacturing duties. Fellow workers work monotonously on various stages of bedmaking. Such as sewing, box frame assembly, Spring crate opening, mattress stitching and shipping. When no shipments are coming in and all receiving duties are finished, then I perform stock replenishment, inventory counts or dumping garbage hoppers into the dumpster via forklift. The hardest part of the job is when all the deliveries seem to come at once and no matter how fast your work you find yourself a step or two behind in your best efforts to multitask. Usually when this happens I can get the help that I need from my fellow employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that because you are constantly moving around the facility, and the tasks at hand are varied enough, time goes by very quickly and before you know it, you are done for the day.

Pros

Work Schedule, active and varied days

Cons

no medical dental, vision, or 401k

Common questions about Southerland, Inc.

Answered by current and former employees at Southerland, Inc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southerland, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits