Southern Care Hospice Employee Reviews

Sales Rep
Marketing Consultant - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 9, 2019
Hospice can be a difficult sales but Southerncare-Regency has a great reputation i my area of the state and I was proud to represent such an ethical company in an unethical business
Pros
freedom to run accounts as your own
Cons
High sales quota
great group of coworkers
PRN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PADecember 16, 2018
This office is a great group of people who work together towards providing excellent patient care and comfort for their patients. Work environment is relaxed and not physical at all.
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
after visit documentation on tablet can be time consuming
Eye opening experience
RN On Call Hospice (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 6, 2018
I wasn't too sure about working with hospice patients. My career focused on emergency medicine. However the staff and patients changed my outlook on the Hospice program.
Pros
Interacting with staff and patients
Cons
Training lacked in some areas
Safe working atmosphere
Pastoral Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, IN 47725December 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time there. My supervisor made it easy to work as a team. It felt like a family unit. The employees I worked with believed wholeheartedly in the hospice philosophy
Second job definitely needed
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILNovember 29, 2018
You definitely need a back up job they play favoritisms and up down no 40 hours a week census be low at times commutation be terrible not a great place to work at and for period there is picking with certain staff as well
The 2 major drawbacks at Southern Care is that there was little if any training for their system. Questions weren't answered very well.
Pastor/Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Erie PaNovember 23, 2018
Mistakes aren't tolerated. There is almost always no way to go back & correct a mistake. They had hardly any training at all. If I had a question, it was answered by saying I should figure it out. Often questions were cut off in mid sentence. The other other people I worked with were very nice, professional, yet warm.
Pros
The people I worked with were the best.
Cons
An almost non-existent training program.
Southern care
Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INNovember 8, 2018
I did Case management. Visited clients at home. Offered support. provided education to clients and family members. Advocated for clients with doctors, nurses, nursing homes, and family. Participated in care meetings and making care plans for clients.

Coworkers were compassionate and hard working as well as professional. Great environment to work in.
Job of my dreams
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 29, 2018
found out with Southerncare that Hospice was the field of nursing i choose...& everyone wonders "WHY" "since it must be depressing dealing with people dying everyday"& "what do you even do since you just let them die anyways" the REWARD that's what it all comes down to is the fact that my job allows me to IMPACT the life of someone else & it thus far had been the only nursing job I ever truly felt appreciated. Death is part of life. one of the most important parts of life & I am there to make it as comfortable as possible. At this point in life you have come to terms with death& are accepting of it. I advocate for what you want to maintain your quality of life at this time. I LOVED IT ! Unfortunately(totally off guard)was let go WITH SEVERANCE PACKAGE but NO ability to defend myself as far as reason no investigation. Ended up being "wrongful termination" in the end but that did not mean re-offered job
Pros
rewarding. appreciated. impacted/made a difference in the lives of others.
Cons
work work work work & paid salary but yet always working
Too Much Drama
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC Aiken, SCOctober 20, 2018
I was told that I was not compensated for my education. My supervisor's boss fired 30+ employees in 2+ years. I left due to a schizophrenic/bi-polar employee. I enjoyed working with the staff, patients and their families. I have some really good memories.
Pros
Some good employees, nice families and patients
Cons
Terrible salary, too much driving
Lack of support, respect and plan to operate make work life difficult
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 10, 2018
I worked with this company for 5 months approximately, in South Bend, as an RN/case manager. The expectations are high (an usual week would be made up of 40 hours performing scheduled visits - 5 to 7 daily - plus 2 nights on call for 15 hours and an occasional weekend on call) pay sounds interesting as you enter the company (salary was around sixty five k plus mileage) but not enough as you calculate the per hour rate. Miles tracking are unfair, you enter the miles driven, computer computes the shortest distance between visits and pay you not for the real miles, but calculated. As an RN/Case Manager I was doing the job of RN/CM, admission nurse, on call nurse and weekend on call nurse. I often did find myself having to complete documentation at home and receiving phone calls from families/pharmacies/dr offices at all hours of the night. Management had their way of sweet talking and making promises that were never delivered, the Medical Director was not very accessible and can be very rude. If you are thinking about working here I would strongly recommend thinking about your personal life limitations. Corporate push employees to make all sorts of sacrifices to provide care and/or cover minimal requirements per medicaid/private insurance payors.
Pros
The salary is good and accrued PTO is generous
Cons
well.. read my review..
Not too good
Team Secretary (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 2, 2018
I would not recommend working there because the director and mother both worked there and it was not a good working environment. I have nothing else I would like to say.
Pros
Not much to say
Cons
working with mother and daughter caused stess
It was ok
Team Secretary (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MSSeptember 20, 2018
Management at the time was not on the same page as the employees at the time of my employment with this company. It was somewhat of a stressful work environment.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Playing games with the elderly
Volunteer Coordinator/Marketing (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MS 39180September 18, 2018
Day at work travelin a lot, learned to be able to speak in a large group, great management, hardest part of the job is to get people to volunteer, joyable part of the job working with people.
Stressful
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 13, 2018
You do more Can work than you do as a caregiver and you get paid caregiver wages to lift people and bathe them all day. If I wanted to do can work i would go get certified!
Poor managament
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALSeptember 10, 2018
Staff was great, however, the DOO was a very poor leader. She was never available. Due to her poor leadership, many good personal left the company, myself included. The office had to come together and work together without a leader.
Tough place to work
Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHSeptember 5, 2018
I left Southern Care Hospice to care for my ailing parents. I wanted to spend more time with my parents before they passed. Southern Care Hospice was not sympathetic when I was needed to care for my ailing parents.
Professional
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Portage, MISeptember 4, 2018
Good company
Good leadership
Caring management
Supportive core group
Agency takes very good care of clients
Sufficient training for staff
Great team work
Satisfying and exciting career with truly compassionate coworkers
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Vidalia, GASeptember 3, 2018
This was what I felt I was meant to do! Some things I learned involved the high levels of compassion and quality that go hand in hand with hospice care! The hardest part of my job varied from patient to patient and family member(s). The most enjoyable part was hearing a patient say, "thank you" or "I love you" when their care plan was completed for the day!
Pros
Highest level of quality patient care was given everyday to every patient!
Cons
Watching family members suffer the loss of their loved ones!
Friendly work enviornment
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 29, 2018
The company is unprofessionally managed and the Director spends all her time visiting with other staff at her office instead of running the office in a professional manner.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Clicky staff
Productive, fun worth place good people!
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 29, 2018
Good people in the facility. Good training process, Very caring people who work there it’s also a clean environment for the people very near and organized
Pros
Free lunch, good breaks Very nice people
Cons
Short break, too many people in the facility with not enough workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Care Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.