Southern Careers Institute Employee Reviews

great school.
welding technician student (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 26, 2018
learned welding procedured and practices at a locally recognized school.
during this time i carried out basic welding operations on a day to day basis
see attached
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXOctober 22, 2018
Stressful, the financial interest of the institution was forefront and the actual teaching and learning aspect was secondary. Your pay depended on attendance levels, which you as an instructor have little or no control. Instructors had to on a daily basis call students who missed class, email, them, text their phones and even times they went to the homes to find students. While you were paid hourly for the hours just teaching the class, no compensation was made for the time on a daily basis that you prepared for class, develop your tests and lesson plans and come in on off days to grade and report on the student attendance. Students themselves were angry that those who missed classes or failed to submit reports or homework were given the option to come in after hours, sit in on basically any instructors class and be given credit for that absence or allowed to submit timed reports or homework after the deadlines. Students receive financial assistance to attend class. If their attendance or grades and mainly the graduation rates are not met, this affects the institutions revenues.
Pros
teaching is a learning experience
Cons
financial interest was the primary goal of the institution
Hostile Environment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 21, 2018
Corporate employees and directors push people around and expect us to reach unrealistic numerical goals. It's a numbers game and they don't actually care about the students. Nearly every employee here is unhappy with the job and management does nothing to make this a better environment for the employees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Awful management, disrespect towards instructors and other employees, constant fear of losing your own job
Learned so much
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2018
The instructors were knowledgeable and believed in me. I recommend this school because it a quick way to get an education. The hours were flexible and you get fridays off to study.
No Comment
Community Out Reach/Veteran Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2018
No leadership, misleading both employees and students. Campus director allows for unethical things to happen.
Working at SCI - Austin is a toxic place to work.
They say they want you to succeed but expectations are unrealistic given the obstacles you face that are beyond your control.
Career Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2018
Given the high turnover, with poorly administered and executed training, it's unrealistic to expect new hires to succeed, yet that is what they expect-sink or swim. Meetings are scheduled which suck up lots of time whether they're productive or not, with no allowances made for the fact that your productive time was just diminished by a fruitless meeting. Most enjoyable part was helping students/graduates who genuinely took to heart your advice and did their best to be successful. The worst part was being held accountable for missing placement goals when the students or graduates failed to apply themselves in the job hunt/interview process despite your best efforts (they went on vacation, moved to a tiny town with no relevant jobs, got pregnant and wanted to wait several months before interviewing for work, went to visit family for several weeks because grandfather died, refused to interview unless the job offered an unreasonably high salary).
Pros
You get to help people start a career
Cons
Held to numerical standards beyond your control.
Teaching
MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2018
Teaching as a whole has been very rewarding for me and it's a career I am glad I have chosen. The hours are long, but the reward has been worth it. The school tries to do a rotating shift schedule, sometimes I have 3 classes, more often I just have two. I was prepared and informed prior to accepting the position. They were very upfront about the needs of their students. Again, I love what I am doing and I have enjoyed this opportunity greatly. And I am very much aware that I am appreciated by management, staff, and all of my students.
Great co workers
Adjunct MA Instructor (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed my fellow co workers and I enjoyed teaching the students and watching them graduate. The staff always made me feel welcome and part of the team.
Pros
Parties for the students
Cons
Temp job
high turnover, low morale
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2018
-the HQ office is crowded and drab

-the element of teamwork is not present, and every one seemed to battle each other rather than work together in a friendly manner

-rigid state and federal regulations prevent innovations to several manual processes

-natural office environment does not foster creativity
Pros
benefits, paid vacation
Cons
crowded office, unfriendly upper management, dismal work culture
7 boses in 3 years!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2018
Watched a campus that was once known for excellence, become a campus of ill-equipped instructors and managers! This campus had no regard for their students or staff after the 3rd complete overhaul of their corporate office!
Pharmacy Technician Program
Pharmacy Tech Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 21, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at Southern Career Institute because it was a family atmosphere with the employees and everyone was so helpful. The students was awesome and willing to learn and was always in class. SCI was a great place to work at.
Great school
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2018
I would show up to work and get started right away with filing, scanning, and running errands. Its experience showed me what it was like to comply with keeping files private and personal.
Turnover was incredibly high
Director of Career Services (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2018
Never any support, worked until exhaustion, no recognition or appreciation, ABSOLUTELY no job security, everyone walked on eggshells just waiting to be fired, could not count on Human Resources to handle situations correctly...nothing was ever confidential, student curriculum was a disaster. Director of the school spent more time in his office then helping his employees to grow, called his staff unacceptable names and was always threatening our jobs.
There was never a typical day at work, workplace culture was negative, eveything about the job was difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job was keeping our low income students enrolled.
I would reccommend anyone wanting to work for a technical school to invesigate and research.
Pros
Working with the students
Cons
no job security
Rewarding job but not with money
Adjunct Instructor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day starts as soon as you wake up. Grading assignments/test. Entering grades. preparing for the days lesson. This is all done at home, but you are not being paid for it. Then you go to class, are there for a at least 6 hours and you don't have a clue who the other teachers are or what their programs are. Then you go home and the cycle begins again. Expect to be working on the weekends as well. Student attendance is your responsibility but you have no control over.
Pros
Rewarding because you get to see the students learn.
Cons
Set up to fail from the beginning due to lack of training in organization and procedures.
Good Place to work
Externship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2018
enjoyed working with students. assisting them with externsites. talking with sites about the students. helping with resumes and talking with them about their future
Pros
the students
Cons
unfairness
Hated it
Employee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2018
I knew from the get go this would be a job I couldn't learn to like, and I was not wrong. Management is clumsy and clueless and most coworkers were looking for new jobs the entire time I was there.
Good place to work if you can close off emotions
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2018
This place is overall a good fast paced enviroment with work life balance a top priority for staff. What I didnt like was having to enroll students I knew would not be successful as this is a for profit school.
Senior Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin TXJanuary 9, 2018
Great environment if you are willing to work hard. As long as your willing to make the dials to set up appointment for potential student to come in for a campus appointment, you will be successful.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Working Saturday's if the team has not met weekly goals.
Excellent Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXDecember 7, 2017
Southern Careers Institute is a very healthy environment to work in. People are positive to interact with and everyone assist each other as a team. Management is awesome no let downs or negative comments, always searching for solutions. The company has an integrity with the students and staff.
Pros
Rewards, Gatherings, Events
Cons
Health Benefits
Potentially very fulfilling position where you get to provide direction and assistance to individuals.
Admissions Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2017
In admissions, a typical day at work consists of 100+ calls; appointments made; interviews conducted and enrollments closed. I learned how to empathize more with individuals and found fulfillment in being a guiding light for someone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Careers Institute. Our community is ready to answer.