Southern Company Employee Reviews

Excellent Opportunity for College Graduates
Sr. Benefits Analyst / Human Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 18, 2018
Company has excellent career opportunities with it's own college to help you learn more about the company.
The culture is amazing and polished.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility and the mentorship.
Pros
Advancement Opportunity
Great Southern Company
Corporate Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 29, 2018
Great company overall. Culture is a bit closed to progressive ideas and different cultures. Culture is very strict based on southern values.
Great retirement program.
Billing rep
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 27, 2018
Alabama Power was okay computer work for a really don't have too much to say in reference to the company and was a fair company with a fair wage other than that there's not too much for me to say management was not really engage with employees we had outings every now and then sorry was based on performance
Not Desirable
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAJune 26, 2018
Call Center Environment is not desirable. Overtime is required due to the call volume related to the closing of local offices. Customer are not happy so some conversations are not pleasant.
Typical Corporate Culture
Exempt Individual Contributor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2018
Happy with my co-workers and overall company culture is positive. However, direct supervisor/manager can determine your happiness and retention of direct reports. It's critical for manager to give "complements and recognition" = free (or monetarily) to their employees who are doing a good job and not wait until performance review time. It seems that only certain departments are awarding a "spot award" and it's slowly going away in the past 5 years. It goes a long way to retain happiness, loyalty and productivity within a team Also, more managers are electing to bring in (hire) outside talent instead of training their current employees (this has been growing trend in the past 8 years) to be ready for an internal transfer with his/her skill sets. Company is going through a lot of business changes to meet financial needs - hopefully this will benefit shareholders & customers in the long run.
Pros
Great benefits, wellness programs and friendly culture
Cons
See notes.
Environment
Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, ALJune 24, 2018
It's really a good safety oriented place to work. Not a good place for those wanting a dedicated career path. Lack of learning resources which affects the long-term performance of the employee.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Communication with management
great opportunity
Start-up Consultant / I & C (Current Employee) –  MississippiJune 24, 2018
loved the challenges and thank them so much they recognized my skill level the trust i had made so many positive as well as successful experiences on the job and at home.
Good people to work for. Very appreciative of work.
Material Handling Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2018
I made a lot of friends and enjoyed a lot of exposure to various projects and disciplines while working there. They strive very hard to be all inclusive in management down to technical and skilled labor. They regularly trained employees on safety and computer skills required to effectively complete required work.
Pros
Good pay and work experience.
Cons
Some projects lacked direction and had to many managers involved.
Good place to work with a lot of opportunities to advance
Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 14, 2018
Southern Company is a great company to work for. There is a lot of different departments to work in so you can move around and never get bored. The executives care about their managers and managers care about their supervisors and supervisors care about their front line employees. Of course it isn't perfect but what job is?
Pros
Salary, benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
Work life balance, don't screw up.
Streamlined efficient and fast
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSJune 11, 2018
Always pay really great competitive wages but you have to have the needed skills or they will replace you with someone who can do the job so be sure.

Want to know more about Southern Company?

Ask a question
Good place to work.
Senior Project Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 31, 2018
Good place to work. As a Senior Project Electrical Engineer, Southern Company in Birmingham, Alabama, I Worked on replacement of 13.8 KV transformer and breaker at Chevron Co-gen and Miller station.
Best Company ever
Supply Chain Analyst, Senior, SCM Support (Current Employee) –  Calera, ALApril 29, 2018
Great company with excellent opportunities to develop. Talented work force. I work with experts in many parts of the business daily. Great place to work.
Professional, successful Manager
Ambulatory Care and Procesing Chief (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 22, 2018
Learning something new every day is refreshing, enlightening, and exciting. Having the ability to not only work with veterans, but my staff with rewarding outcomes. Workload is challenging, but I ensure the staff feels encouraged and they see the overall positive results encouraging them to keep going.
Benefits
Cons
Work balance
Acquired daily work start up packages and worked on packages until complete. Able to work at own pace with peer group assisting activity.
Startup Lead - Syngas Cleanup (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, MSApril 12, 2018
Management gave direction as to work flow for start up packages and goals and dead lines.
-Hardest fiscal part of job was climbing 300 ft of stairs. Mental was learning computer based program for finding materials in system.
- Most enjoyable was starting up motors and pumps for the first time at a new facility and recording results. Watching the experssion on supervisor's face when he learns milestones are met before scheduled completion date.
Pros
Work hours and work environment . Completing task at own rate.
Cons
Some policies were not to my satisfaction.
Loved my years at Southern Company.
Utility FLeet Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 11, 2018
Very much liked the CEO of Southern Co.
Middle level mgrs were good and tried to develop good teams.
Lower VP's seemed to have little backbone and consonantly CYA. Company presidents were very solid people...Mostly attorneys. If your an attorney or female engineer than your HYPO & you will go far quickly assisted by company goals to promote ... I loved my what I did and the people I worked with. two thumbs up.
Pros
lots of problems you could solve
Cons
good but not excelleng pay
Learning Experience and Great Place to work
Human Resource Representative, Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 11, 2018
Southern Company is a great place to work. I learned a lot from working with everyone. I was a contract employee so I did not get the perks that I would have if I was a full time employee. The management was great and the employees I worked aside were very helpful if I had any questions or problems.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Contract Employee
Great job with family atmosphere
Nuclear Security Officer/Security Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALApril 4, 2018
I worked for 15 years and enjoyed the work and people. I advanced to the LT of my team and was responsible for pay, vacation, post
checks, schedules and annual reviews.
Sr. Gasification Technician
Gasification Technician/Lignite Prep (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, MsMarch 25, 2018
I would not recomend working for Southern Company due to them being in finacial dissaray due to the Kemper project closure and Plant Vogele cost over runs also the fact they are closing numerous coal plant and additional layofs are emmenitient.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Job Security
Great People
CONTRACT DCS DESIGN & STARTUP ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 15, 2018
It was a pleasure working with the folks at Southern Company. They're competent and friendly for the most part.

Most of the company's projects are internally sourced through its departments, so So.Co. takes responsibility for all of its capital projects from inception through commissioning. This makes it a bit cumbersome for the company, but offers great job security for its employees.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Cumbersome
A Conservative Hellhole
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 11, 2018
This place is terrible. Plain and simple. If you like having to report to incompetent people and working on very boring and inefficient projects, go ahead and work at this place. Some people see this as a holy grail job opportunity. It’s not. I left because none of the engineers at this company could ever hack it at a real engineeeing firm. Terribly dim individuals work here.
Pros
Cons
The entire company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight