Southern Foodservice Management Employee Reviews

Featured review
Southern Foodservice Management selected this as a representative review
fun place you will enjoy
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 1, 2018
you can be yourself, if your shy they will make you laugh, They will help you when your lost, your employees will back you up alone as the mangers. once you get done and set up and everything is good, you can take a break and enjoy your time. or you can prep for the next day, this is a laid back cool and relax place you will like
Pros
free lunch
Cons
none really work at your own speed
Horribe company to work for
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 30, 2017
Lowdown sneaky managers how only let workers who been with company do what they want majority if time grown adults snitching like kids also make main cook work while sick which can contaminate the food but they don't care long as he is at work not enough hours I will never work for this company again
Pros
Free food
Cons
Management and employees
Official response from Southern Foodservice Management
December 3, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. This is definitely not the standard our employees have come to expect from us. Please contact our Human Resources Department, so we can properly discuss your concerns and experiences

Coworkers are alright. Management sucks. No concern fir wmpkoyees or their families
Dining Facility Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort Rucker, ALJanuary 6, 2017
I worked here for almost 4 years. I was fired for missing to many days but herea the thing. I have fibromyalgia and my rheumatologists had written me excuses for all days. And they knew I had fibromyalgia
Pros
Good money
Cons
They have no general concwrn for employees at all
Great Company, No complaints, often challenging, yet rewarding
Foodservice Director/ Regional Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 4, 2017
Great schedule, competitive salary, great benefits, travel occasionally. solid corporation, very down to earth people.
Pros
great management, benefits, salary
Cons
Subsidised accounts are challenging, over entitled clients.
Fun work place, great employees
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  8899 East 56 StreetDecember 19, 2016
The only problem is the management, Head manager don't believe in helping other than that things were good, also believed in over working other employees. Show no appreciation of the work you do, but quick to let you know when you've done something wrong.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Favortisum, over work employees
can watch one of 3 Telavisions in cafe on break
Grill Cook/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2016
fun place to work while listing to music, good pay and hours. Friendly co-workers and great parking. Lunch is free and at the end of the year owner gives personnel a small bonus.
i loved every minute working with southern foodservice.
Prep Cook/Cook (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2016
head cook at Eastman chemical company bldg. 150,i prepared breakfast and lunch
how to become a good chef
management was great,enjoyed every minute being employed with southern
co-workers we all got along great,we were definitely a great team together
our taco bars,spaghetti bars,and also our hot dog and hamburger bars lots of beef we cooked,but customers loved our bars,so the hard work was worth it.
satisfying the customers,compliments on my good cooking,wanting my recipes,that was enjoyable to me.
Pros
great company to work for.
Cons
i hated to leave southern i was so happy.

Comment – April 6, 2016

I noticed my employment showed Birmingham,al. I was employed in Kingsport,tn. having trouble changing it.oh well I suppose Alabama will do.

Great On-Site Foodservice Provider- Very organized & Clean
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 31, 2016
You can learn a lot here if you get with the correct Manager or Chef/ Some Manager's are too busy and do not have the time to work with you and help grow you. I do not know the job culture of the company. I would very hard to work with the staff, praise them and make their 8 hours at work upbeat and fun while also sharing with them all my knowledge.When this happens they share back and it creates a great work environment.
Pros
Great foo, prepared fresh always from scratch
Cons
Upper Management has a lot of control, you really can't talk to them
Good place to work just keep in mind if contracts are lost you lose your job win with the company and lose with the company
manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 12, 2016
meal with shift , good benefits but exppensive clients can be tough to work with. Managers tend to side with the clients,
Pros
Good food
Cons
no breaks work alot of saturdays
Great employees and Foodservice Director
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GaDecember 22, 2015
Work hours were 4 a.m. untill 2 p.m. Loved my Sous Chefs and co workers. The Client changed perveyors after 20 years. I switched with their new company by request of the client, State Farm.
Good place to work clients can be demanding
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 15, 2015
Good place to work clients can be demanding. Work force is low end Pay them more get better employees. Budgets are extremely tight.
An excellent company to work for
Project Manager / Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNOctober 26, 2015
I have been with SFM for 18 years, mostly in management. This is a very well rounded, stable company to work for. I have had 3 regional managers over my tenure and each has been very supportive.
I enjoyed getting to know all the State Farm Employees.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2015
We would work hard and fast to prepare catering for state farm employees and their clients. It was rewarding to please them.
Pros
Great benefits and hours
Cons
Management company was being let go so if found work elsewhere.
Job atmosphere was always great to work at
Cashier & Cook (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 13, 2015
I went to work passionate about my job always and always wanted the best outcome for both my company and for the customers. What I learned from my job was that people are just culturally different and that is ok. The management could have easily been better but I managed just fine for over ten years. The most enjoyable part of my job was communicating with the customers and the social atmosphere that we shared every day. I loved being apart of a two person team for the better part of the ten years that I was on the job, but I also liked the company and presence of more co-workers when I had them.
Pros
Customers and atmosphere
Cons
Pay
busy place to work but fun to come to
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 25, 2014
very busy place served up to 2000 people per day hardest thing about it was the langauge barrier but enjoyed the cooking styles
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not much time off
Love the work but no opportunity to advance
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Alexander City, ALMay 21, 2014
My typical day consisted of processing invoices for 5 lunchrooms, answering any human resources questions, payroll once a week and acting as operations for lunchroom managers.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schedule
Cons
No vacation, no sick pay, no paid time off, no opportunity for salary increase or advancement
Prep and production for a grill station. With some freedom to work.
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAFebruary 12, 2014
This is a pretty good company to work for. The contract for the location I was at was terminated. They treat workers like people, and that goes a long way.
Foodservice Director
Foodservice Director (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 9, 2013
This position is responsible for overseeing day to day operations for a corporate dining account, as well as, managing and a team of associates, managers and chefs. Responsible for managing client relations, along with ensuring that the food offered to the customers is of superior quality. Additional responsibilities include:

Oversee all P&L and budgeting as it pertains to the account.

Maintain excellent relationships with customers, guests and Client as well as other departments.

Work with the Chef and management team in creating menus and providing top quality food.

Roll out new culinary programs in conjunction with Southern Foodservice Management marketing and culinary team.
Working with catering manager and team to ensure each client’s overall satisfaction of every event including writing custom menus that are in line with the latest trends.
Pros
great work environment with fantastic hours & good benefits.
Cons
no room to advance to the next level.
Contract Food Service Company operating in and Around RTP
Foodservice Manager, Teleflex Medical (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 21, 2013
Cooking, cleaning and managing a Cafeteria setting providing Breakfast & Lunch. Two employee's hard working, providing the best customer service, wholesome and nutrisious Meals.
Pros
2 meals aday, off same holidays as buisness.
Cons
can be long days, need more staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Foodservice Management. Our community is ready to answer.