Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits logo

Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Found 1,362 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,370 reviews

It's work

It's warehouse work. Get in get out try to have fun. If you talk to your supervisor they try and work with you. The work not hard and theirs some good people there.

Southern overall is a good place to work and I would highly recommend it for someone who likes to be hands on and working in a great environment also

No quality hometime

The title says it all. The management team expects you back in 10 hours after your shift, even if you had a short run the day before. Many times had to wait for truck to be loaded before leaving. Union operation, enough said.

Work is not too bad, but high work load and bad router

At first I liked working there I liked the four days a week. But then I quit due to how bad My workload would get. The older router shows favoritism to certain employees. The management does not want to see how bad the router is. I use to work 13 hour days everyday because my workload would be so bad and other guys wouldn’t get as bad as I would. I don’t know if it’s because I’m African-American or what it was but it wasn’t the same treatment. I would think twice before going to drive for them. Especially if they still have that router there.

Pros

4 days a week

Cons

Bad routing, high work load

Lost their way

In trying to get on track and be more transparent, it’s now all about tracking and micromanaging. Much less about their people or even the customers.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Great Place to start, but not much beyond that

This job is a great entry into sales, however don't expect more than that. You can learn alot about the sales world and nature of the bussiness, however expect to grow fatigued of the job fairly quickly, as it is labor intensive and both physically and emotionally demanding. the pay is inconsistent, and much seems to be out of your control. expect to drive ALOT.

Pros

free wine, flexibility

Cons

pay is inconsiestent, not a lot of room for growth

Terrible

Management has unreasonable expectations for the sales team. They changed the pay structure, so we didn't get paid as much. Too many accounts and was not compensated enough for miles I had to put on my own vehicle.

Pros

Work by yourself most of the time

Cons

management, sales goals, pay structure

Decent job but can have unforeseen issues

I started with the company working in Oakland, California. Training was all of two days. (I went out with another merchandiser who showed me how to turn in display pictures on the work phone). After that I was pretty much on my own from then on out. For about the 1st three months my boss would come out once a week for a couple of hours to show me some pointers but other than that I was left to my own devices. The hours are extremely early and you will have to drive WAY to much but the Incentives can be really good depending on your portfolio and territory. The main reason I am leaving is because for the last 2 montha our incentives have not been paid out (no reason was given, just told to wait for the money to show up) and living on minimum wage is almost impossible.

Pros

Wine and liquor, incentive pay

Cons

Early hours, driving, delayed incentive payout

Great job

I really enjoyed my time here. Work life balance was one of the flaws and sales goals often hard to reach at times but are possible if work hard. No time off for year is unfortunate.

Good company

Great company to work for with excellent pay and benefits. Four day work week and many bonuses. Family oriented and fast paced. Overall positive job here

Pros

Great pay

Jobs at Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits

See more jobs

Wishing i was still there

I enjoyed working with SGWS very much.I recently moved and sure wish I had this job back. They were very fair and I had freedom to do a great job without an boss that hovered. Great opportunity to learn.

Pros

Great heath care & benefits. Generous. Always provided education.

Great company

I absolutely loved my job at Southern until my manager got promoted and took his best friend under his wing to be his area manager. It completely changed.

Pros

Great job

Cons

Poor management

Benefits flexible schedule.

Good to decent benefits . Schedules can be flexible. Pay is decent if in a suitable territory. Lots of driving. Management is ok. Lots of turnover as of kate

Good job

The People you work with are really great here . They help each other to succeed. They have 3 day weekends every weekend. You Get to know the people on your route. Its a very physical job. Sometimes you drive day cab and short dry van some days your driving a box truck

Pros

Give freebies on occassion

Cons

Very physical job

Work Place

Corporate Culture, you are a pawn to Management. Worked here 7-9 years went through to many reorganizations. I worked with 11 different managers but not all of them are ready Professionals but hand picked based on relation/family.

Pros

Pay

Cons

No Culture

Company is run by sales people

This is a family based company that really cares about its employees. The only issue is since most the employees were at one point salesmen, that is their only focus in many cases and the other departments seem quite lost.

Pros

party days

Cons

boring work

Great opportunity

If you are money motivated and a people person, this job is great!!! I was able to find a home with Southern and feel happy with my career path. Yes, there is high turnover only because this job will expose your weaknesses ASAP. If you are a people person and able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, you will be very successful and financially rewarded.

Pros

Incentive money, work on your own in your own territory, advancement opportunities

Cons

hours can be early for some (4 am start), difficult job if you're not motivated

Be ready to drive around all day

It depends on what division you work in with how much money you make. You can sell $30K in a week and not see any commission unless the store rep puts up displays. Some stores just do not allow displays in their store which makes you going to that store worthless.

Poor management and only criticism even if meeting quotas

The job is not difficult, but the management is not efficient and there is very poor communication. Do not feel valued as an employee and the work is not satisfying or rewarding.

I wouldnt recommend

I was hired as a cycle counter. The training I received was minimal. My supervisor was overwhelmed and wasn't available to train me properly. When I made mistakes ( I'm human) that were noticed by management they were not brought to my attention in a productive manor. My manager was conniving and malicious. If someone in the department did something she didn't like she would get you back. By the time my probation was over the review she gave me was based on lack of training and I was "let go". The company was decent other than that. People were generally nice.

Pros

Good pay free alochol at times

Cons

Management is awful

Free alcohol is nice but the unrealistic expectations are not.

Lots of unrealistic expectations that come down from management. Reps are paid commission based on display size, so almost everyone makes fake displays for extra money.

Pros

Free booze from time to time

Cons

quotas are stressful/unrealistic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits with

• Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?