Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews

Motorcycle Rider Program
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 17, 2018
-Bosses were great
-Laid back environment
-Just do your job and you'll have no hassle
-Good pay for a college student
-Meet lots of new people
-Deals with general public a lot
Dying University
Vitner (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 13, 2018
Southern Illinois University in Carbondale is dying. It is run whorably and very few people value their jobs/careers. There are limitless resources that are impossible to use because of everchanging leadership. When working at any University there are dozens of people working above you, at SIUC some or all of these people are only interested in their paycheck and not in actually running a desirable institution.
Pros
Relaxed Management
Cons
No management
Lousy leadership and a sinking ship
Associate Professor of Music (Former Employee) –  Altgeld HallAugust 1, 2018
The upper administration is always in flux and has no idea what SIUC should be as a university. Constant change at the President, Chancellor, Dean and Provost levels has harmed the reputation of the school.
Cons
Declining enrollment has put all employees at risk of losing their jobs
Great place to study
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 20, 2018
It was an acceptable place to work and study. People were very nice and professional. I did some research there and published one paper and took many ECE graduate level courses.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 19, 2018
As a student worker I acted as a receptionist and office assistant. I helped professors and other faculty members with activities and projects. I was a great experience getting to know my professors on both an personal and professional level.
Great family environment
Chef/Food Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 11, 2018
Great place to work, Management appreciates the employees and takes into account the lives of the staff and their families. I would recommend SIU to everyone.
Average research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 9, 2018
Demanding advisor with little help; poor instructions from advisor; big single office room with lots of researchers; learnt some software and how to work as a team;
Pros
Learnt research
Cons
health insurance
Difficult State, complicated and extensive problems at University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 24, 2018
SIU Carbondale used to be the premiere employer in southern Illinois for many decades. The state economy, continually decreasing enrollments, no raises since July 2013, and mass exodus of employees who are not replaced, amongst other administrative issues, all lead to uncertainty about its future.

There are many great people. The campus and surrounding community is beautiful. It has been a great place to raise a family.
Pros
Great benefits and leaves
Cons
Workload, no raises
Fun environment
Graduate Programs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 22, 2018
SIU's GA (Graduate Assistant) program is a great way to learn practical skills that aren't necessarily always taught in the classroom and fund your further education. Not only do you learn the technical aspects of the job functions, but also how the are realistically applied. The staff is fun and understanding if you need help.
Pros
Great hours, no weekends, pays graduate school tuition
Cons
Some downtime
Productive, Freedom, work culture
Graduate Assistant Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 16, 2018
Improved my graphic design skills while working. I had a freedom to make the decisions and I was encouraged time to time for my work. There was no work pressure and the supervisor was very cooperative.
God. Good.
Trainer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 8, 2018
Great place to work for. Excellent salary. Good management. I worked 4 them for 7 years. Always happy.
Trainer for foster patent. Supervisor great lady.
Pros
Good job
Cons
None.
Great learning environment
Watershed Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 2, 2018
As a research technician, I was able to get hands on learning in both laboratory and field settings. This made me able to progress as an employee for them as well as better myself.
A great opportunity
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 1, 2018
From taking classes to working with other student's, Southern Illinois University Carbondale does a great job allowing students to work as a Graduate Assistant.
Great Graduate School Program
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Life Science IIMarch 29, 2018
The graduate school at Southern Illinois University fulfilled every desire I had, despite the state and university having financial issues. Most professors are very accommodating and willing to help students outside of class hours.
Pros
Location, health insurance, atmosphere
Cons
State of Illinois, uncertain financial situations
ESL teaching assistant
ESL Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 25, 2018
It was a great place to work at. Mentors were helpful. It gave me some practical teaching experience that helped me with my next full-time position in a different employer.
Pros
great
Cons
Interesting Work, Relaxed Environment (sometimes), Nice People, but Poorly Managed.
Research Technician (Fisheries, Aquaculture) (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 1, 2018
I worked for The Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences as a student worker, then as a research technician post graduation. The work itself was fascinating and very fulfilling. The other technicians/researchers, graduate students, and student workers were great to work with.

The work I performed was hard. I spent many long days working on the river sampling fish and retrieving/deploying equipment. Yet despite going home or to a hotel room tired, sore, filthy, and stinking of fish, I felt good about what I was doing and I really enjoyed the job.

The biggest problems I saw were with the management. It was very unorganized and with funding being reliant on grants, it was often difficult to accomplish tasks in a timely manner. Also, tasks were usually performed with equipment that was in need of repair. Still, we were always able to make due with what we were provided and most of the people I worked with were more than competent and good at problem solving.

There were no benefits that came with the position and I was paid monthly, however I was paid well. I spent many days away from home, on the road and in a boat. We worked outside throughout the year, and were usually provided appropriate attire for the varying weather conditions.

Overall it was a great place to work, but I wouldn't recommend the work I did to anyone who doesn't appreciate getting dirty and breaking a sweat on the job.
Pros
Interesting work, generally nice people, fairly relaxed environment.
Cons
Unorganized, loosely managed, reliant on grant money.
Its a university
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 12, 2018
It was a university. Nice people. I enjoyed my time for the most part. Some days where busier than others but overall it was nice. I wish I got better pay.
Very professional work environment
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 27, 2017
A great place for professional development with supportive supervisors. Teaching Assistants at the Depatment of Languages, CUltures, and International Trade are provided with appropriate guiance and encouragement throughout their appointments.
Productive and fast-paced workplace
Physical Plant Service (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 20, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of moving from floor to floor doing janitorial services as well as coming up with a list of field events. The most enjoyable part of he job was the management!
Pros
management
Cons
short-breaks
great teaching enviornment
Off-Campus Programs Visiting Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCDecember 4, 2017
I truly enjoyed the time i spent as adjunct faculty at SIUC, working with Marines in North Carolina bases. There was excellent support from the home office and the local off-campus staff. Very rewarding and satisfying time,.