Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Employee Reviews

Great benefits, management full of Napoleon complexes
IT Technical Associate (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 18, 2019
The benefits are great (for now). The State of IL has been raiding the pension fund for decades and will eventually expect the employees to foot the bill to make up for the irresponsible behavior of the state legislature, so don't expect the pension to exist when you retire. Having a pension through the state also disqualifies you from Social Security, so you are on your own.

Management is full of micromanagers. The PhD's are arrogant and can't accept any sort of criticism from someone without a PhD. As long as you don't attempt thinking critically or do anything to make the faculty sad, then you should be fine.

The pay is below market rates, but they make up for a lot of that with ample and extremely affordable benefits. Lots of vacation and sick time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Everything revolves around keeping the faculty from being sad
Great Work Environment
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 7, 2019
The overall work environment is friendly and cooperative. My coworkers are great people to work with and my bosses are just and fair. The work days are not long, they schedule you with your availability.
Fun working
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 7, 2019
This was an awesome place to work while going to school. It allowed me to learn a lot about teaching and working with the faculty was really helpful..
Great place to study and work
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 25, 2019
I went there as an Undergraduate student and graduate student. I love the campus and the faculty. Being a teacher's assistant has been a rewarding experience.
two years of work at SIUE
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 25, 2019
positive work place, team workings are excellent there, faculties and students are really friendly and make situation more comfortable for working. they are very supportive to help finding better solution for problems and one important and excellent point about there is they pay attention to students and team working.
Not good
manager (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 13, 2019
When I started their it was great. Like a Large family working together for a purpose. As time went on became a place where you constantly had to keep an eye on your back.Not good. Jobs are not looked at for the proper number of employees. Jobs are continually added to you and are claimed to be "Other duties as assigned". Need to
Cons
Need to have 3 eyes two forward and one to watch your back
It was a student job
Teachers Aid for "Algorithms and Data Structures" (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 22, 2019
They offer 20 hours per week (max) at minimum wage to do relatively easy work. The facility maintenance job takes up time but is very time structured. The front desk job is less time structured, but the tasks required are minimal. The teacher's aide job is a "do when you can" job that can get frustrating easily as a result of grading student work.

The best of the jobs was easily the front desk job, but the teacher's aide job helps you appreciate keeping your professional work clean and streamlined.
Pros
difficulty of work
Cons
the pay
Lousy place to work.
Food Service Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILDecember 31, 2018
I would NEVER recommend working there to anyone.
They make up B. S. to get rid of anyone that won't kiss their rear end. If you don't agree with them they WILL find a way to get rid of you EVEN if it means LYING about you.
Pros
Cons
TO many to list.
Enjoyable work environment and co-workers
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 15, 2018
I gained valuable experience during graduate school by working here. Learning how to teach at the collegiate level isn't something many people experience and I feel that it helped me expand my skills.
Minimum wage student job with high responsibilities at the time.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 8, 2018
Throughout my time there, two of my bosses quit/moved on so much of the stress of their job was put on me and the other student worker. It was not enough money to live on, but it put food in my stomach.
Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 25, 2018
Good place to work and it is easy to get a graduate teaching assistantship in the Biology department. However the pay isn't all the good at around 850 a month after taxes which is tough to live on.
Scene shop fun
Scene Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 27, 2018
Working in the scene shop is a fun trip because you never know what is coming next. New set designs and set pieces keeps us on our toes as well as moving. The people I work with are great and wonderful. I couldn't think of a better place on campus I would want to be employed by.
Large state institution
Multimedia Technician, Morris University Center (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 25, 2018
Compared to any commercial environment, processes move very slowly. I work with a lot of wonderful people that I truly enjoy being around. Biggest downfall is that, as far as hiring and promotion, the university rarely promotes from within. The person who would be the obvious choice to move up, into a vacancy, is rarely the one chosen to do so.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
For too many employees, there is little opportunity for advancement
Great
Marketing Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Good people, relaxed environment, fun to work there and have positive people surround you. The only issue I ever had was the noise, but that was recently fixed for the marketing team by having us relocated to a different office.
Pros
The people
Cons
Noise
Plenty of hours, lowered tax rate
Production Team Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Honestly my favorite part of working here was having a lower tax rate than any other place. Students only pay certain taxes according to law.

The environment was pretty relaxed, but it was also challenging when work would pick up. Management understood work-life balance, was sympathetic when time off was requested or when more hours were needed. It was a perfect place to work for my last year of college.
Good place
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 1, 2018
A nice place to work. I just met a person at WalMart who made more money than I did in 2015 at SIUE, but that is not SIUE's fault - it is the low priority that our culture gives to education,
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 8, 2018
Great to place to work with awesome co-workers who were there to assist. A team environment that supported the goal of the organization. A positive experience.
An engaging day with students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed working at SIUE, as I was able to engage with students, while also developing my own skills as a teacher. Likewise, these are the most enjoyable factors of the positions I held.
Campus life with students
Customer Support and receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 19, 2018
I like working at SIUE when I interacted with students. I worked in several different departments so I cannot quote a typical day. I was in Purchasing, the School of Nursing and the School of Dental Medicine at various times.
Pros
Nice atmosphere. Students were fun.
Cons
Not many important ones.
Great University
Baseball Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 15, 2018
I only worked for the baseball camps during the summers when I had time off of baseball. The campus is a wonderful place to learn and grow as a person.
Pros
good hours