Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Employee Reviews

University
Physics Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMay 14, 2018
I had the valuable opportunity to gain research experience during my undergraduate career. I was one o the lucky ones who was hired as a research assistant and teaching assistant, although that is not available in every department.
Basketball Assistant
Student Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 15, 2018
Was a great environment. Easy to work with others. I prepared practices . Participated in drills and filmed games. I did interviews with the players on team and wrote papers for classroom assignments.
Productive and creative place to learn several things from experienced advisers
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 17, 2018
I worked as a graduate assistant at SIUE. Working at SIUE was very interesting to me because I met many people with their unique experience to share. I met professors who were very helpful to help me when I had any problems.
Pros
They Paid my school tuition
Cons
Late contract
Review Summary
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 31, 2018
Great atmosphere to be a part of. Great experience opportunity for a master's student to gain while teaching undergraduate courses. The work load was manageable
Great Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 30, 2018
I learned a lot working and studying here it offers a competitive environment where you can make personal improvements as well as help other people. Fun place.
Good ol' boys club
Graduate assistant athletic trainer (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 3, 2018
Lots of political tape to walk through. Very hard to suggest new things because they are set in their ways. Travel involved. I don't know what else to say/
Excellent place to work
Adjunct Lecturer, Fall Semester (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILDecember 14, 2017
SIU-E is a great place to work. It has a relaxed atmosphere and the colleagues are wonderful. My position there was only as an adjunct, but I certainly would be a full-time faculty member if an opportunity arose.
Good work environment with good people
Interactive Media Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 26, 2017
Very well managed university that experienced impressive growth over the past 20 years. Work atmosphere was pleasant, with very qualified employees and challenging, interesting work.
Pros
Excellent health benefits and family-friendly work schedule
Cons
Compensation not as high as in private sector.
Awesome
America Reads Tutor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  East St. Louis, ILNovember 9, 2017
Student Work study and helping children in the St Louis Community is always a growing opportunity for future career aspirations if children are your passion
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Job Review
Adjunct Clinical Professor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 30, 2017
I have been there for 2 years. I feel that I would like advancement but I am held back due to insurance need and the lack of assistance for faculty due to the state issues.

Want to know more about Southern Illinois University Edwardsville?

Ask a question
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Health ServiceOctober 25, 2017
Vibrant campus life that is student focused. Positive work environment. Hours are fixed for most civil service employees.
A palce where everyone can contribute!
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Consultant - Writing Center Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 21, 2017
The SIUE Writing Center is a great place to work. Management and coworkers are wonderful. Faculty appreciates the work tutors do and highly recommends that their students go the writing center.
Pros
Professional and cooperative
Wonderful
Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 9, 2017
It is a great workplace.
People are nice. Great
I enjoy teaching students
I learned lots of stuff here
It is an amazing institution
The pay is good too for what I do
fun friendly workplace
Student Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 25, 2017
learned how to work diligently and patient while working in a diverse population. Very peaceful environment and easy going job that was very understading
Great place to work at with great people
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 25, 2017
Great hours, amazing managers, great benefits, but just not enough pay. Amazing vacation time and sick days. Has opportunity to go to school free and earn a degree
Just a bad experience overall.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  ILJuly 11, 2017
Now, there are a few individuals who are nice to work with, but the majority of staff, professors, and other top officials are a bunch of idealistic nuts who only care about their own hide and not their students. There is a pervasive "I'm always right, you are always wrong." mentality that many of the science and mathematics professors hold. Also, if you are conservative, then steer clear. Nearly every professor and faculty member that I had the opportunity to learn from, made it very obvious who they supported politically.

I would say, go to a community college first, then maybe, if you really have a goal in life, go to SIUE. The only real benefit they have going for them is that they are cheap.

As for work, as long as you know someone, you will get a job. But the pay is pretty small, and the fact that they basically fire you at the end of every semester is kind of bogus. You have to reapply every semester.
Pros
Sometimes you can get free food, and drinks if you work in catering.
Cons
A lot of internal strife between coworkers and faculty.
Poor research environment
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMay 4, 2017
Teaching load is heavy. Research support is rare.I do not understand why the school needs PhD holders. The school will push you to focus on teaching and service.
Not applicable
Supplementary Instruction Leader, Physics (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2017
Great school and has a lot to provide for its students and staff. Courses are well taught and well organized into curriculums that will give students the opportunity to find jobs after graduating.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
Not applicable
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 19, 2017
Work with professors and students. lead section of undergraduate general education courses. specifically work with History Gen Eds such as World History and US History
graduate Assistant for Siue Basketball team
Men's Basketball Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 11, 2017
the opportunity to grow and learn while working for the same team i played for. The coaching staff and the athletic department have help me understand how an NCAA D1 school operate.