Southern Illinois University Employee Review

View all Southern Illinois University reviews

Taught high school age youth the basic of architecture.
Architecture Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 28, 2013
This job was a lot of fun. Although it is hard to keep order in a classroom where there is little leverage for maintaining order in the classroom the students don't get any grades or anything. The class pretty much required that I gained the students respect.Afterwards I am able to steer the direction of the class.
A typical day usually starts by me explaining a project and having the students start on the projects in teams.
They usually have a lot of questions and complaints until I explain what I expect from them more thoroughly. A project usually last for about or a week or two or until most of the students in the class or finish. After that I explain a new project using 2 dimensional and 3D models or or projections.
Pros
I was able to influence young peoples lives in a positive way.
Cons
Because of the lack of leverage on the students it is hard to push students to do their best.

Other Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

good learning institution
Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901June 16, 2018
This job was an assistant-ship award during my Master and PhD studies in mechanical engineering, which is included tuition waiver and cost of living expenses. I am grateful for the opportunity.
Pros
promote team work environment
Cons
I have to multi task job and education demands at times.
Not a bad place
Saluki Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 6, 2018
Not a bad place to work! Friendly people all around! Chances to work with very many different cultures and ethnicity. I was a student worker so my job was to help other students in the UCOL classes as their peer mentor. Enjoyed the day-to-day interactions with my peers and professors.