Southern Management Corporation Employee Reviews

I could have re-tired!!!!
Recovery Specialist, QA, Team Lead, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 14, 2019
I absolutely enjoyed working for this company. The managers that I had were awesome and very understanding. As well as the HR Team. Room for growth!!!!
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benifits, Growth
Cons
Lacking Job Security
using your knowledge to the test.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 5, 2019
Cant complain. they are always giving employees oppurtunity to move up corperate ladder. get refresher course on your tittle. on the job training all year round.
day to day operations
District Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 11, 2018
supervised a team of 25. i enjoyed my days at work and worked over as needed to complete the job. my team worked as well. a very supportive company. if you worked hard you will succeed. i worked at SMC twice. from 1994 to 2002 and 2004 to 2014. its unfortunate that i'm not still there. My skills were from this environment with working with teams and for teams. i thrive in a team environment.
Pros
great support
Not the greatest place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Valley, TXDecember 6, 2018
This company is unappreciative of their employees. The supervisors way of rewarding you is with a gift card for making goals. Honestly this is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I had been advised not to work there by friends, but had to see for myself to believe. Every week the hours change in the beginning to where certain days we were to stay late then one week no we are not staying late, then it was usually one Saturday out of the month to all of sudden 2 days before the weekend we were told we are having to work upcoming Saturday. The supervisor was forgetful and would say they did not remember telling us things, but then later would finally admit they must have forgotten and the manager was the same.The company started asking employees to turn in their cell phones to manager which means they are treating employees like high school kids. I believe your personal property is yours and they should not violate your privacy of making you turn it in or telling you that if you are not turning it in then you cannot bring it to work. As for bonuses the supervisors and managers make the most when all the hard work comes from assist managers and CSR. Collections calls are hard to finish if all employees are not helping with calls. Company needs to understand we have families at home and everyone but manager are so under-paid for the work. One of the sad parts is you do not get to keep day after Thanksgiving off and the company sends live checks to people that do not even pay and to address where people no longer live then identify theft gets committed.
Pros
You might have 2 to 3 weekends of the month off
Cons
Hours, pay, management, corporation, and holiday time off
Dont do it
Management (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXDecember 3, 2018
Job sucks you can make more money flipping burgers management is the worse not a good company at all to work for will threaten your job for anything that doesn't go right
great company
Residential Financial Controller (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 3, 2018
Great company to work for. Lots of changes within the last year. Gained plenty of knowledge. Overall culture is amazing. Awesome place to advance if you want to stay within Property Management.
Cons
telework not an option
Southern Management
worker (Current Employee) –  MarylandNovember 28, 2018
Great Company to work for and has made me the worker I am today. I have learned so much from this company and they helped me grow in my field. I would recommend working for this company
Look elsewhere
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 14, 2018
I worked for Covington Credit for over 2 years and I regret even taking the job! You are constantly understaffed and put in unsafe work conditions. As an assistant manager you are made to go on field calls alone in not the best neighborhoods and on numerous occasions you are left alone in the office. The management doesn't care about employees or the staff. It's only about the money. They have upper management that expect you never to share your opinion, if you do you are I insubordinate. The company is terrible. They target lower income, under educated people and keep them in vicious cycle. I regret working for this company. Dont make the same mistake I did. Run dont walk away from this company.
Poor Management and lack of care for employees from higher management
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 3, 2018
The customers and the job itself was great. I was promised several raises that I never saw and Higher management had a lack of concern and care for its employees. Do not work for this company unless it is temporary.
Pros
customers
Cons
higher management
Fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaffney, SCOctober 29, 2018
While your immediate coworkers have a good time while getting things done upper management seems to do nothing but belittle you, dont offer help just criticism.
Excellent company
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaSeptember 24, 2018
I get to help people every day in some type of way. Whether it be helping a customer with money they need, or helping an employee learn and advance themselves. I've been here for 10+ years and I really can't see myself ever doing anything else, especially for another company. SMC has looked out for me helped me grow in so many ways.
Pros
benefits, competitive pay, bonuses, paid time off, stability, advancement, a company that cares
Cons
can be stressful and demanding, hours
Great Career Choice
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sumter County, SCSeptember 20, 2018
I have been with SMC for about two years and have been very happy about this career choice. I've loved the work environment and my co-workers from the very first day which makes work a lot more enjoyable. Everyone works together as a team. The advancement opportunities, competitive pay, and benefits have really helped provide for me and my family and have helped me accomplish personal goals in my life.
Covington Credit home of the credit!
branch manager (Current Employee) –  Perry, GASeptember 19, 2018
I've been with the company for 5 yrs running. I've started from the bottom as an CSR, moved to Asst. Manager, & now I've been manager for going on a year. They give you great opportunities to advance in the corporation. The benefits are amazing! They give you basically any option could think of. The insanities to receive bonuses are what I strive for, not to mention the pleasure I get from my employees when they reached their monthly goals. Standard is required to be reached but it can be completed with ease, it's all about policy & customer service, but between the co workers & customer's they feel like a second home.
Pros
benefits, bonuses, friendly co workes
Cons
late nights
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Crossville, TNSeptember 18, 2018
I love getting up every morning and coming to work for this company. It is an awesome place to work and have very friendly employees. They are always lending a helping hand when in times of need. The benefits are very affordable for everyone. There is always room for advancement with in the company . They always have extra incentives to earn you extra money as well as your normal pay.
Cons
Working late nights and Saturdays
Good Employer!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  AlabamaSeptember 17, 2018
My first manager was so-so, but the manager I worked for after her was amazing. She taught me so much and made it possible for me to promote when I was ready. My former district supervisor was fantastic, and the one I'm under now is just as good. Upper management is knowledgeable about the business and the day-to-day branch operations. They consistently update any outdated policies to better serve the customers. The work is very fast-paced, so you do have to be focused on your job in order to get the work done, but there is a lot of potential for earning big bucks when it comes to bonuses if the branch is meeting and exceeding standards. Pay is competitive in the industry and the benefits are great. The company offers health insurance at a competitive price, including dental, vision, and short-term disability. The company promotes from within whenever possible, so you can move up as far as you want if you work for it! District supervisors are invested in their branches and making sure they are successful, so they provide whatever guidance is necessary to help branches succeed. The only real downside is you do have to work late evenings or weekends if the office is below standard. It can also be stressful sometimes if the branch is a larger branch and/or short staffed, or on the occasion you have a dissatisfied or irate customer to help. Overall, though, I love my job and the positives far outweigh the negatives – at least for me. I have regular customers I’ve gotten to know and they become almost like family over time.
Pros
bonuses; great benefits including health, vision, dental; office environment
Cons
late nights & weekends if branch is below standard; dealing with dissatisfied/irate customers
I love my job!!
Branch Manger (Current Employee) –  ALSeptember 17, 2018
I love my job. we have a good work environment. excellent benefits package. competitive pay. bonus opportunities. great opportunity for advancement. I have worked here for nearly five years, and plan to stay many more.
SMC was a great career choice for me
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 17, 2018
I've been here 5 years, and I have never been more challenged or fulfilled at work. The people with whom I interact daily are lovely. In my interview, I remember thinking, "Are they really this nice?" Yes, they are, and they have continued to be, even as we have grown, added staff and become increasingly busy building and supporting the business. SMC is a great place to work!
Pros
Health benefits; culture; people; location
Good Company
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 17, 2018
. You will learn a lot about all types of people and their situations. The hardest part of this job is getting people to understand the importance of paying on time for them and their credit and the company. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to know people.
Pros
Benefits, people i work with and work for
Cons
bonuses should be little higher for lower staff
Great Place to Grow
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Americus, GASeptember 17, 2018
I stared as a assistant manager a year ago, and I am now a branch manager. They go above and beyond to work with their people. They always have new ways to make extra money, and to reach new goals. I love the atmosphere and the company. They offer benefits starting at 90 days, and you start accumulating vacation when you start.
Pros
compassionate, competitive
Competitive and Fast-Paced
Asst Mngr (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCSeptember 17, 2018
Southern Management Corporation is a great place to work! The environment is fast paced and very competitive! Compensation is excellent, you are paid to do your job AND you can bonus every month, sky's the limit! The benefits are good. Moving up in the company is what everyone is striving for, so it is expected that you will be management, one day. Who can say that about their job, in this day and age? SMC can!!
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Can be stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Management Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.