Southern Methodist University Employee Reviews

Review
Special Projects Associate for Strategic Affairs (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 8, 2019
SMU provided me with a skillset that will translate into the next step of my development career. I believe that my supervisor has done more than I would have imagined to make the the Development employee I am today. This university is on an upward swing.
Nice work place
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 19, 2019
Because I am a postdoctoral researcher, the position is temporary. The benefits are OK as a post-doc. Unfortunately, they do not offer 401K or 403b investment plan. Besides that it was a nice, relaxed work environment.
Pros
Opportunity to expand your knowledge, relaxed work environment, flexible hours
Cons
no 401k or 403b investment plan
Time to Write
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2019
This fellowship provided a supportive environment to write my book. The libraries were fantastic and my colleagues were very helpful. I had time to think and write.
Pros
Time to think and write
Cons
Temporary
productive, innovative, friendly
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Everyday work includes working with raw data and extracting useful information, reviewing papers to find out new ideas, developing algorithms, and simulating solutions. I learned how to improve my knowledge using new software besides improving my technical skills. the management was great and was always guiding me to keep going. The group included a variety of cultures and nations which was a great opportunity to work with people from different nations. the hardest part of the job was that sometimes implementing new ideas was hard however always there was a new solution that we needed to go through it. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning and creating ideas.
The EMIS department supports their PhD students a lot.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I work at my office most of the time, nice place, I have meetings with my advisor once a week. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I have to code something.
Productive and allows for independent research projects
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Surrounded by great people who are always willing to lend a helping hand. I was able start my own path and conduct my own assays and present them to the lab.
Great people, little to no advancement
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Love the people. Users and end-users are great. They know their stuff and care about the school. Good working environment. Raises are minimal (yearly) and promotions opportunities are rare. Responsibilities have increased tremendously since I started but every review, something else comes up in order to move to the next level. It's never documented on email or reviews and it's not in the job description.
Pros
Working remote, colleagues are great
Cons
low-pay, no advancement
busy but pushy
Project manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2019
We also had something to do. Sometimes we waited on others, but we were always told to push for answers, progress, and status. Then pay was good, but it was also hard work. I like that there was structure and that I could get answers and assistance from more experience people. The only down side of the job was that leadership treated contractors poorly and sometimes with disrespect. I understand that our department was in charge of beautifying the campus and physically maintaining it and expanding it and we also need to stretch every cent as mush as possible. However, leadership could have handle other outside people and at times its own employees better.
Pros
working with experience people, learn a lot, location, productivity, and coworkers
Cons
leadership lack of respect towards other contractors and working long hours for them
Great place to work but compensation and advancement opps are minimal
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  UndisclosedDecember 20, 2018
Great place to work but compensation and advancement opportunities are minimal. I've really enjoyed the people and culture, and I've truly had a great boss. That said, and as indicated above, the pay is simply not sustainable and I see little growth in that regard. Also, my title has not changed at all in spite of the fact my responsibilities have radically increased since being hired.
Pros
Culture, benefits, great colleagues
Cons
Low salary
Fun working environment
Intramural Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 17, 2018
Working with the Intramural Department can be rewarding and boring. You get to work with your fellow students but the short shifts make earning money hard.
Great place to work college student are easy to work with but messy
Chef/ Owner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2018
I worked as a contractor overseeing employee of my own manage breakfast lunch and dinner daily. I work there for 22 years and I enjoy making knew dishes every semester, and special party and celebrations students always was appreciated
Pros
summers and holidays off
Cons
parking is bad and expensive
Great place to get your degree while you work.
Administrative Assistant II to AVP (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2018
Southern Methodist University offers an awesome tuition benefit package for their employees. This is a great place to get your degree while you work.
Excellent for work/life balance but low paying
Assistant Director of Enrollment Resources (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 1, 2018
In order to work here, you need to be a two income earning household. Opportunities for advancement are few and far between and the majority of positions are low paying. They used to allow you to take coursework for free or reduced tuition for some programs of study, but that has since changed to reduced tuition for all programs.
Pros
Excellent time off during the holidays.
Cons
Low pay
Summary not necessary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 20, 2018
I have no comments to share about this position. Some people may enjoy working here and enjoy the school spirit. There are a lot of employess, staff, students here and a lot of different personalities.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
None that I want to share
Wouldn't do it again
Facilities (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 9, 2018
Unless you could use the education benefits, I would avoid this place! The management and culture are horrible. No support and little advancement opportunities.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Management/culture
Fun, fast pace work space
Public Relations Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2018
If you enjoy working in a team, you would love it here. Plenty of opportunities to grow. Will be required to work on the weekends. Leaders are great at guiding and teaching you
Progressive culture, development focused organization within OIT
Client Systems Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Southern Methodist University is a top-notch environment with focus on work life balance and organizational integrity, The office of information technology is well funded and led by a great group of individuals.
Pros
Employment benefits are phenomenal. Tuition, career pathing, and much more.
Great Environment
Archaeology Lab Assistant/Digital Curator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at SMU. The people I worked with always had a positive attitude, they were supportive, and really worked well as a team.
A fun and fast paced university to work for
Public Address Announcer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2018
The people I work with are great people. Everyone is respectful and helpful. They are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure whether you are from SMU, or another university, visiting, that you are taken care of, and have everything you need to do your job efficiently.
Pros
Free food and college attire.
Cons
Low pay
Working at SMU
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2018
SMU is a workplace that has a pulse on the future workforce. They support staff and faculties in the work and promote work-life balance. The networking opportunities and outreach surpasses any jobs I've had in the past.
Pros
PTO - School Holidays
Cons
Pay