Southern Ohio Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great place to work with benefits
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 2, 2019
My work day starts at 4:30 a.m. and ends at 1 p.m. I transcribe dictation, as well as perform other secretarial duties as necessary. I work independently and help others as needed.
Ridiculously horrible management/upper management
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 30, 2018
Do not trust this organization. They only treat you as well as what use they can get from you. Once they no longer need you, they'll toss you aside like refuse.
ED UNIT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 23, 2018
I started off in dietary a month before I turned 19 and have been here for almost 10 years now. This is an amazing place to work that allows you to work your way up to positions that you want! I would definitely recommend to anyone for a place of employment.
Pros
great benefits
Greta benefts
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 18, 2018
You come to work and do your job. Some days are more stressful than others. The people you get to work with are great. Some of the patients you work with really leave a mark on your heart.
n/a
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 9, 2018
I filled pyxis machines for the floors. I filled medication that was to be given to the patient orally. I answered phones. I did credits so that the patient was charged accordingly and i made intravenous medications for patients.
LPN positions
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHNovember 6, 2018
Management seems to be strangely organized with no clear indication of qualification requirements. A typical day involves direct patient care for my position. The workplace culture is overall positive. The hardest part of the job, as with any nursing jobs, is simply nursing staff ratios. It is rewarding to help people.
Great place to work with many opportunities
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHNovember 2, 2018
A great work culture, with many advancement opportunities. Management could use some minor tweaking, but overall a great place to work. Many discounts offered to employees around area, and many benefits are available.
I gained valuable secretarial experience
Secretary, II (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 26, 2018
I began employment as secretary in the housekeeping department, and then worked both departments until another secretary was hired for housekeeping, and I went into the maintenance department.
Pros
I gained valuable secretarial experience in both housekeeping and maintenance depts
Cons
Mass reduction by force throughout the hospital affected me, with no warning
Southern Ohio Medical Center
RN (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 15, 2018
Southern Ohio Medical Center is known as "the best place to work". I believe that is true. It is by far the best company I have ever worked for. Overall, the company offers competitive pay, tuition reimbursement, and many other employee benefits.
Overall not bad, poor management but good pay/benefits
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 3, 2018
Management is TERRIBLE especially if you work night shift. You will never see your management and they will not acknowledge you until you have an error. If you aren’t the “favorite” then you need to keep your mouth shut and work. SO MUCH DRAMA. You also DONT get a break and still have to work for an extra 30 minutes to cover a break you did NOT get. The wages are good but the management is awful and there is little to no room to advance in your department, you have to bid out of your job to advance anywhere.
Pros
Good wages, discounts at a lot of stores, good benefits
Cons
Management sucks, poor communication, lots of childish DRAMA
Excellent Place To Work!
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 14, 2018
Managers are great to work with busy life schedules, this organization has an education assistance program that helps those who wish to pursue hard to fill positions within the organization. The people who work are friends, family, and neighbors. Making the atmosphere great for anyone looking to feel like they belong at their place of employment.
Pros
Some great benefits, pay raise every year, market adjustments once a year
Cons
Price of Health insurance continues to climb
Fufilling
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 20, 2018
Amazing people, caring for the patients, being with friends, working hard and feeling good about yourself. My mother worked here for a doctor before and suggested I sign up for their volunteer group and it was the best choice I ever made.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Jobs go quick
Expect you to be keep your mouth shut and do everything they say and not ask questions. Train you forA
Scheduler/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 10, 2018
SOMC might be the only employer here in Portamouth BUT I wouldn't just apply because of being close to where you live. Trust me it might just me or the department but the Registration/Central Scheduling isn't a family it's people that will back stab you no matter what happens. Not enough training and most if the people will talk to you but the moment you leave they will talk bad behind your back. And so does supervisor nothing is private!!!!
Pros
Discounts, payroll deduct opportunities.
Cons
$0.25 raise each year that's not much, Insurance cost too much, training time isn't the full 6weeks, too many changes at once but nothing runs smoothly to do your job. Foot everyone is treated fairly.
Great work place
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 18, 2018
Great work place . Lots of opportunities . Was able to payroll deduct a lot of different things. Friendly staff. Always stayed busy while at work. Tried to help work around things
Pros
Payroll deduct sales
Cons
Short staffed
a typical day
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 9, 2018
A typical day was a 10-12 hour shift in hospital practicing as a hospitalist. This included admitting patients to the hospital, completing history and physical, discharge summary, and round daily on admitted patients.
Somc
Lab Client Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH 45662June 14, 2018
Nice company to work for. Room to Grow and Learn within the orginizatioin. It s a Fast pace workplace.The Orginization offers Great Patient care, and puts the patients first.
Don't work for SOMC
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMarch 25, 2018
Not worth the trouble of everything that has to be. Not worth the wage you are paid. There is not enough training for any position that your placed in. Patient registration is needs at least 3 months of total one on one trading. 6 weeks is not enough time for all the codes that are required.
student nurse only
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 21, 2018
was only a student nurse doing clinicals for school at this facility. Never had a full time job with them. Can not do a legit review due to this situation.
Floor RN
RN (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHFebruary 17, 2018
A typical day is caring for three to four patient's every need. The nurse is constantly assessing the patient while passing medications, assisting to toilet needs, bathing, walking, and eating. The nurse communicates with the physicians involved with the patient. The nurse educates the patient and family about their medical condition and the medications ordered for the patient. The most enjoyable part of the day is having happy patients and happy staff members. The hardest part of the day is when all your call lights are going off at the same time and you cannot be in every room at the same time.
Pros
Bonus if company has profits.
Cons
Heavy work load at times.
Productive, clean, friendly,
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 23, 2018
Typical day was spent in the E.D cleaning up anything from mud or dirt to trauma rooms. Management was decent but sometimes expected more than an employee could do, the hardest part of the job was dealing with death. the most enjoyable part was being around people that loved their job and dealing with the public
Pros
benefits, vacation time
Cons
pay