Southern Ohio Medical Center Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
a typical day
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 9, 2018
A typical day was a 10-12 hour shift in hospital practicing as a hospitalist. This included admitting patients to the hospital, completing history and physical, discharge summary, and round daily on admitted patients.
Somc
Lab Client Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH 45662June 14, 2018
Nice company to work for. Room to Grow and Learn within the orginizatioin. It s a Fast pace workplace.The Orginization offers Great Patient care, and puts the patients first.
Don't work for SOMC
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMarch 25, 2018
Not worth the trouble of everything that has to be. Not worth the wage you are paid. There is not enough training for any position that your placed in. Patient registration is needs at least 3 months of total one on one trading. 6 weeks is not enough time for all the codes that are required.
student nurse only
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 21, 2018
was only a student nurse doing clinicals for school at this facility. Never had a full time job with them. Can not do a legit review due to this situation.
Floor RN
RN (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHFebruary 17, 2018
A typical day is caring for three to four patient's every need. The nurse is constantly assessing the patient while passing medications, assisting to toilet needs, bathing, walking, and eating. The nurse communicates with the physicians involved with the patient. The nurse educates the patient and family about their medical condition and the medications ordered for the patient. The most enjoyable part of the day is having happy patients and happy staff members. The hardest part of the day is when all your call lights are going off at the same time and you cannot be in every room at the same time.
Pros
Bonus if company has profits.
Cons
Heavy work load at times.
Productive, clean, friendly,
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 23, 2018
Typical day was spent in the E.D cleaning up anything from mud or dirt to trauma rooms. Management was decent but sometimes expected more than an employee could do, the hardest part of the job was dealing with death. the most enjoyable part was being around people that loved their job and dealing with the public
Pros
benefits, vacation time
Cons
pay
Poor management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 12, 2018
I was treated very unfairly by management here. Management talks about employees to other employees behind their backs. Unwilling to work with employees even if they have been there a long time.
willingness to work with you
Nutrition Aide (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 27, 2017
During my time at SOMC, I was in college and my manager was more than willing to work with me on my schedule. While also doing my Senior Practicum at SOMC, both managers worked with me and let me finish my practicum with ease.
Wonderful Place to Work!
Student Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 19, 2017
I was only there as a student, but I really enjoyed the time I spent there. I would really recommend working there. They are one of the largest employers in the area.
Comfortable setting
I.S. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 19, 2017
Job security, everyone was friendly and caring. Everyone that I worked with was all team players. I loves my management team like my own family. just no room for advancement.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Could be stressful at times
Productive and Patient Oriented Environment.
Medical Office Clerk / Front Office (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 25, 2017
Southern Ohio Medical Center is an amazing place to work. The staff is great and everyone cares more about the patient than themselves. I would recommend this facility to everyone and anyone.
Unit Clerk/ Monitor Tech/Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 14, 2017
Providing excellent care to patients on a daily basis. Working with amazing, knowledgeable people. Working in a small hospital and community is amazing, knowing everyone you work with.
Manager, Urgent Care Services (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 9, 2017
Busy health care facility with lots of good people. Good mentors and wide opportunities to learn from them. Nice facilities. Decent benefits and wages.
Document
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 1, 2017
Stressful when you have to deal with cussing patients and then it is reported you were in the wrong when trying to explain things to patients, or making sure they get the best care possible. You want to cry, then your management is trying to figure out the situation and sometimes you feel its you they are trying to blame completely then making it a few blame both party situation.
Cons
Insurance, Management Changes continously
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 30, 2017
I don't really have a review I work here currently and I like it. My job is great but I'm always looking for advancement that will better me. Overall its great.
Fun and Invitiing Culture
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH 45662August 29, 2017
SOMC is great the people that I work with are helpful and easy to get along with. I would strongly recommend this company. A place where you are more than just a worker but you are also family.
Pros
Easy going atmosphere
Cons
Hours
I work with great people
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 28, 2017
The people I work with are friendly and helpful. My managers was willing to work with my home and school schedules. My pay was the best pay that I have got.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
working 10 shifts
I loved my working hours 5:30 am til 2:00pm with weekends and holidays off.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 4, 2017
Same Day Surgery is actually the best department I ever worked, except for being an IV nurse. The hours were terrific for me and having holidays and weekends off is hard to find jobs like that. I loved my patients and enjoyed going to work. the hardest part of my job were my coworkers. Most of them were 20-30 years younger than me and have a different work ethnic.
Pros
The hours and having weekends off and holidays.
Cons
The stress of feeling pressured to get patients ready fo surgery, feeling you may not have enough time before the surgeon is ready for them.
Advanced
Student Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 25, 2017
I was fortunate to be part of a team to provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist. Developed vital components of patient/client interventions (treatment), obtain data related to the interventions provided, and make modifications in selected interventions either to progress the patient/client as directed by the physical therapist or to ensure patient/client safety and comfort.
Productive work place but also relaxed
Certified Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 25, 2017
A typical day for me working at Southern Ohio Medical Center as an Athletic Trainer consists of working in the Orthopedic office working with our providers to help with day-to-day operations. On days that I do not work in the Orthopedic office I cover a local high school and take care of athletes who may have injuries. As an athletic trainer we perform injury evaluations, rehabilitation, documentation, and education to athletes, parents, and coaches. The hardest part of my job was at the beginning when I first started it was hard getting used to things at first. As time went on it got better and easier for me. My manager is very easy to work with.
Pros
relaxing, independant
Cons
no set schedule, managment