Southern Oregon Aspire

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

DSP Point Of View

The passion of making and helping other lives easier, while the individuals get to make choice in their day to day lifestyles! Aspire does offer a benefits package that is amazing! However, it is 50$ a month now it used to be included and (Free). The pay could definitely be better, due to the cost of living in Grants Pass being horrible.

Once in a lifetime kind of job.

Aspire is an amazing place to work. I loved it there. I made lifelong friends, and grew to care for the individuals more them I ever believed possible. Working here absolutely changed my life. the management is amazing, they go above and beyond for their staff. They provide thorough training and so many incredible benefits. They care deeply for all of the employees and the individuals. It's truly such an amazing place to work and I highly recommend.

Supportive work environment

This company has completely transformed since I started in 2018. It is true the company HAD many issues with management, culture, and overall work/life balance. However, since the leadership change in Sep. 2019, Southern Oregon Aspire is the BEST place I have ever worked. Believe me, there have been many companies I have worked for in my 16-year career, and Aspire tops them all. The current leadership team ALWAYS puts people first. It does not matter if they are DSPs, Admin staff, Managers, or the amazing individuals the company supports. If you have an issue, speak your mind. They will listen. The benefits are incredible! Management will try as hard as they can to accommodate your schedule. However, since the COVID-19 crisis, staffing as been short, and yes, shifts have been less flexible and you may have to work overtime. Keep in mind, you are supporting PEOPLE! If there is no one to work a shift, they can't simply close for the day like other companies. The DSPs, Assistant Managers, Managers, Job Coaches, Behavior Specialist, and the Leadership team all come together to support each department and cover shifts. It is truly wonderful to see people supporting people in every way possible.If you want professional growth and opportunities, this company promotes from within as well as outsiders. They offer PAID training. They accommodate department transfers, emergencies, and so much more, all you have to do is ask.I almost left this company back in early 2019, but when the Leadership changed, I stayed along for the ride and I thank God every day that I did. I love the -

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Understaffed

Great place to work, you have the ability to make a difference in other peoples lives and have your life changed as well.

As a current employee for almost 6 years this organization does care about the individuals supported and the staff that provides the supports. After reading several of the most recent reviews, I was compelled to write a review from my perspective. Yes there has been leadership change, yes there is turnover (not 65%) and yes it can be challenging at times, but this happens in many businesses. I know management is trying their best to make positive changes and as an employee I support their efforts. This agency has passed all it audits and has not been cited for any illegal or unethical activities, ever. We follow all requirements and laws in place by the state of Oregon and the Federal government. As a Non-Profit and state funded, wages aren't as high as in other industries but the organization tries to make up for this with good benefits, as good if not better than many other businesses. This is a job for people who care about others, want to make a difference and have the need to give of themselves. I would recommend this organization as a place to work to anyone who wants to make a difference. We know that decisions made will not always be popular with all employees and not all employees will meet the expectations of the agency, therefore separation is needed and is okay. In no way does the agency act or take actions as stated by one reviewer, remember there is always two sides to a story. We have provided services to adults with I/DD for over 40 years and have plans to continue this work for at least another 40 years!

Pros

Ability to advance if desired, 100% employee paid benefits, flexible work schedules, can help in making someones life better, usually some overtime is available

Cons

Over time work and short staff at times.

Toxic environment. Unethical and incompetent upper management.

It is easy to fall in love with the people this agency support, and it is truly personally rewarding to serve these wonderful people and make a difference for them. However, the culture of this company is one of fear, laziness, incompetence, maybe even corruption. They are broke due to their own fiscal incompetence, offer benefits they cant really afford, so there is no real job security, and the HR Department follows the unethical, even illegal, practice of constructive termination. Upper management will use and discard you mercilessly, you will be overworked, unappreciated, receive little to no direction, and will be under-payed relative to all other agencies. You do get PTO, but good luck getting it with the chronic turnover and under-staffing, and HR intends to steal most of that PTO money you earned and can't use when you leave this clown-show of a company. If I learned anything from working for this company for so long it is to never again put ideals, i.e. serving this disenfranchised community, before common sense. If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, believe me it is a duck. Avoid.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

The Clients are amazing

This type of work is very challenging but so worth the effort. The rewards of seeing the work you put in to help people is very gratifying. The management and departments tend to be independent with some departments underfunded and neglected.

It could be a good place to work with better management

I enjoyed my time working there before the culture changed. Management was terrible and did not listen to anyone that was actually working with the people that was being supported.

Pros

I worked with a great team

Cons

That team is no longer there

Stressful and unhelpful

The individuals that I worked with were the sweetest but the higher ups of the company were horrible. They didn't want to help solve issues that came up. When help was asked for they ignored it. Unfairly let go from work despite being loyal. Managers were poorly hired.

Pros

Good co-workers

Cons

Poor management

great place to work with supportive management

A great company doing great things for individuals with disabilities...very open upper management who always encouraged staff to come to them with issues or concerns; great staff to work with; future looks good there

Pros

management and staff

Cons

state funding

An organization with heart

This is an organization that cares about its employees and the people they serve. Everyone there seems committed to doing their job to the best of their abilities and many go above and beyond the call of the duty. Management has been open and helpful and if at possible try to work with you on your schedule.

Residential Program Manager

The managers at Aspire are super helpful and knowledgeable, the people that we support are the main reason this job is amazing. You put heart and soul to this job, unfortunately, the managers are not appreciated to their fullest, upper management are always looking for their best insterest not yours. Upper management, have 0 clue in how to be professional and keep information that needs to be confidential! Confidential, Most of the managers there always keep it quiet in meetings and don’t speak their minds because are afraid to loose their jobs, I enjoyed my time there has a manager but it was very hard to develop good relationships with upper management due to not trusting their work ethic. DSP are treated as a number, Aspire over work their DSP until they can no more, when I work there, I got to work with amazing DSP’s. Too bad Aspire does not care about them and find very easy replaceable. Their turn over is over 65% very high. There’s favoritism because a lot family members work there, although is good for business is bad for the work environment, it was toxic to said the list. People are treated differently if you speak up about the real way they treated the people they support. They claim to care for the individuals they support but instead they ONLY see them as numbers to grow their business, some of behavior specialist are the worse as far as caring for individuals. I will not recommend this place to work if you truelly care about people you will end up in tears.

Pros

You bring your own lunch

Cons

No breaks

Best place to work and allowed to be me

It was one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had an experienced I worked with several clients that had mental and physical disabilities which enables a lot of different aspects and skills needed. I wish the company would have stayed stronger financially or otherwise I would still be working there

Pros

Allowed to be me and not some robot or

Cons

The financial end was not as supportive as the job itself deserved

fulfilling

makes you feel like a better person. keeps you open minded. whys is this field required so lame im just trying to job search and these stupid reviews are taking all of my time

Some houses are fantastic to work for and some are a nightmare

Upper management is mostly horrible, their focus has shifted from the care and well being to caring more about the money and advancement for themselves. Some of the houses have become a big experiment with no good leadership or boundaries. Where as, some of the other houses are very well organized, well managed, and a great pleasure to work in. Unfortunately the pore management from the upper level takes a huge burden on the company. Upper managment has talked down on staff and used staff for their own wants. Not paid enough for the work and things you have to go through mentally and some times physically.

Live the individuals

The individuals light up your world. The benefits are great and completely paid for. Wages have recently gone up to where employees make what thry deserve.

Good Company

Nice place, loved the clients. This company cares about the people it serves and it shows. I never felt like a number and can honestly say that the HR team is top notch.

Pros

Feeling like I was giving back

Cons

Low earnings

The best part working at Aspire was working with the individuals we supported, it was fun hanging out with them out in the community and participating in special Olympics. Staff were great to work with and great team always helps the day go smoother.

Excellent Place to Work

SOAspire is a great place to work, between the flexibility of hours and positions one could work at/in and the people we provide support to. SOAspire listens to their employees and attempts to support them as best as they can with legislative changes coming down on them from the state; I rarely felt unheard in the company.

Pros

Good Health Benefits, Great Community

Cons

Long Hours, Understaffing

Great concepts and ideals for one they support

Great concepts and ideals for one they support, great training for the field your in, open door policy, not micro managed. Management team really cares for clients and respects ideas from all who have them.

Direct Support Professional

The typical work day means you clock in, you immediately look onto the program THERAP. to view client important information you would need to know during your shift such as BM protocol information, when was the last time they had been checked for changing, and any information regarding client health. You assist with feeding, changing, bathing, clothing, and med intake. Your side jobs are doing the laundry, cleaning up the house, and preparing for the next shift jobs.

SOA review

This company is wonderful to work for they train you and make sure you have all the tools you need to succeed, all the people who work for this company are so nice you are all family and I love it here it has taught me so much and opened my eyes on how people with disabilities really live.

Common questions about Southern Oregon Aspire

Answered by current and former employees at Southern Oregon Aspire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Oregon Aspire. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
4.6Career Opportunities
3.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight