Southern Research Institute Employee Reviews

Good people with bad executive management
Unavailable (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2018
Executive management is unable to lead the company back into a profitable position. Unwilling to make the hard decisions. A great deal of excellent technical work by very smart team.
Process Engineer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 21, 2018
Good place to work, contract job ended and moved on to other jobs. Had showers used as necessary, Warm conditions when on the third level working. Associates were fun to work with.
Good people, nice place to live and work
Research Scientist, BSL-3 Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 9, 2018
Southern Research was a nice place to work, and an excellent opportunity for a young scientist. I enjoyed my work, and the people I worked with and for while there. Many changes in management made it difficult at times.
Pros
Good people, good environment
Cons
At that time, there was less focus on what I was doing
is a fun place to work
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 16, 2018
I learned a lot in southern research institute. the colleagues are very friendly. it's definitely a fun place to work, but my experience is about 20 years old. who knows what has it become?
Great for some departments, not so much for others
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2018
When i first began working for Southern Research, like many I though it was a great employer. I actually enjoyed my job and advancement seemed great. I was making the a lot but money isnt everything and you have to start out somewhere. The longer I was employed the worse the workload became and the work/life balance was terrible. People are always being laid off at alarming rates and people are also always quitting on their own accord due to the terrible work conditions for some. All in all this company does not seem to care about their employees and you honestly do not get paid well enough to deal with. Benefits are great but they don't compensate for your salary and poor work conditions. i did learn a lot at this company but staying there any longer was just not worth it. If you decide to apply for a job with Southern Research be sure to ask them about their frequent reoccurring lay offs and their high turn over rate.
Run really fast in the other direction!!
Associate Biologist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 17, 2017
This place has a high turn over rate, and is constantly laying off. Every October they do major lay offs. The facility is filled with people who are in fear of losing their jobs.
Pros
The person who fires you is usually the next one fired.
Cons
People work in fear of being next on the chopping block.
Great experience
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 7, 2017
I worked at Southern Research for many years. I decided to go back to school to acquire my nursing degree. I still worked part time at Southern Research while I went to Nursing School
Pros
Worked with me going to school
Cons
Low income
Very detail oriented work environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 13, 2017
The work days were long and the work environment was very dirty. We were temporary workers so there was not much of a report with each other because there was some turnover. The schedule was brutal because we rotated every two weeks from night today.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
tough schedule
Not a Secure Place to Work
Associate Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 16, 2017
Last week, my position was eliminated at Southern Research. Southern Research is a very insecure place to work. October is budget preparation time and they usually have layoffs in this month. The company is top heavy - management positions are very highly paid, but they lay off lower paid positions first. I am personally glad to be gone.
Southern Research Work Culture
Staff Attorney / Proposal Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 6, 2017
The company is currently in a culture change. There has been a revolving door of management, and the consistency to policy has not been established, so the ability for employees to meet expectations in a changing environment adds to the stress of a very quick-paced workload.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Company in a broad flux.
fun place to work with working with many departments
Senior Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 22, 2017
my career with SR was a life changing event with ups and downs, but more ups...the VP and upper management made our division stronger than ever. I never would have thought where we would be today 10 yrs ago...so much better improvement than the past
stressful work condition with bad management and friction with old gaurds
Associate Fellow (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 20, 2017
Pros
Good benefits

Cons:
You'll notice immediately that some men/women do not work. the middle managers partcularly the PhDs are always at fault.
Forget about your personal career goals. Extremely high turn over. Everything is always in flux and morale is really low.
Very intelligent & decent folks
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCSeptember 3, 2017
Daily challenges, which I enjoyed. Supporting 12 engineers relative to project budget timelines, assisting with proposals; there was always something to do even very often from home. Small staff and very close knit.
Pros
Remote meetings as my residence was 90 minutes from Treyburn Corporate Park
Cons
No HR Dept on site
Great colleagues.
Research Scientist & Project Liaison (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL and Kenilworth, NJJuly 23, 2017
Worked with great people. Nice and supportive coworkers and managers. Limited opportunity for career growth within the organization for a medicinal chemist.
Research assistant
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 17, 2017
Everyday from 7-12 was the busiest part of the day. Animals to dose clinical observations to enter and Food consumption to record. I learned everything I know about animal Lab work. I know how to dose rodents and get blood from them. The hardest part of the job was having to meet nearly impossible time-points and the best part was getting to pet and play with rodent pups
Great people
Intellectual Property Specialist/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 11, 2017
Amazing people to work with. A job is what you make of it and what you put into it everyday. You can either love it or hate it. Myself, I loved working there.
Good for a little experience out of school- but that's it
tech (Current Employee) –  MarylandMay 9, 2017
Exciting work, good place to build a foundation. 99% of your coworkers are fun and supportive, the other 1% are back-stabbing and literally have nothing better to do than to break you down. Biggest thing wrong with this place is management-absolutely awful. If you care at all about your self-worth, growth, or if you're a woman, just keep looking. The mental fatigue this place induces is not worth it.
Pros
Good 401K, Flexible Schedules, donuts at meetings
Cons
Management. No growth potential.
Bought by Nextran Corp
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 16, 2016
Truck sealership. Ejoyed working there for a proximately ten years. A good working environment. Average health and retirement benefits. Company was sold to Nextran Corp.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
No room for growth
Stressful with no job security
administration (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 27, 2016
This isn't a place of results but more of how you fit in with your managements design expectations. Obvious favoritism takes place with unethical treatment to certain employees. Be wary of termination and lay offs as there seems to be a high turn over rate of employment. I would expect the company to have a lawsuit if their management continues down the path they are on.
Pros
401k and benefits with good pay
Cons
horrible management and stressful atmosphere with unrealistic expectations.
Minorities beware
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 5, 2016
I worked for them for about a year before I wised up and left. The department I worked in just got a large 10 year grant so the work was there. I had applied for a position that I was qualified for but was offered a position that I was over qualified for but because I needed the job I took it. The people that got the job I applied for didn't have the education or experience as I, but looked different than me. The other employee that did look like me, with the same educational background, was picked on and was eventually fired. Once she left, the lead techs and senior techs started to pick with me, example: going to the lab and making a mess but blame it on me, lying and saying I wasn't doing my work because I was sleeping but I produced over half of the data. The supervisor was not supportive and would entertain the gossip. One employee pulled my hair and asked did I feel that. A supervisor told me I looked like "side show Bob" from the Simpsons. My direct supervisor got upset when I got into graduate school because another employee told her before I could. After that happen my desk was moved to the front of the office for people to so called "watch" me do my work, which resulted in people socializing around my desk while I was working. I was passed up on training that all the other techs got a chance to participate in. Overall, it was a great learning experience on harassment and work place discrimination. I would rather be homeless than to go back. I would have gave 0 stars if possible.
Pros
Got off work at 3:45p