Southern Star, Inc.
55Below average
2.6

Southern Star, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States182 reviews
Lately, it’s clear the only thing that matters is the bottom line. Employee satisfaction is at an all-time low, and turnover is at an all-time high.
Pros
Fairly flexible schedule, Pto, 401K match, company vehicles and gas cards
Cons
Poor management across the board, core issues are blamed on lower level employees, no accountability, mandatory 6th days, lack of communication, low pay, some feel pressured to work off the clock, the list goes on
Supervisors don't care about the employees. Required to hit a sales quota while installing cable. Managers harass you in front of customers. Very little training and a lot of metrics based sales.
Pros
company vehicle
Cons
chaotic work environment
Training With company great until your solo then come after you everyday for sales slip up little your gone with them. THEY Give used Vans and Used Power drills. Managers Hard get hold of on The field. Don’t even have Regular warehouse managers live 60 miles from you. Give plenty of hours to many in fact Work you till you drop. **Have major Inventory Problems makes work almost impossible and still want you to sell like no end.
June 15, 2020
Thank you for your review. We hate to hear you had a negative experience. You are accurate that sales have become a large part of the technician position. The recruiting team strives it's best to be transparent with this metric as possible. This position can have many challenges and is not a great fit for everyone. We understand equipment issues can be challenging, we try our best to forecast equipment needs, but as you know every day is different making it difficult to accurately predict needs. Southern Star is committed to continuous improvement with this obstacle and will continue to work through these issues. We are proud to have you on the team!
Not a good company at all they only look out for themselves!! I will never work for this company every again! They never have jobs for you and it’s always a turn around trip
June 8, 2020
Apologies as this review appears to be for Southern Star Express, not Southern Star Inc. We are a Regional Service Provider for DISH, not a delivery service.
I too the job with the understanding my job was to install and troubleshoot satellite systems but they only care about sales which was never mentioned at the beginning. You get called and texted dozens of times each day complaining about not selling enough merchandise. They don’t seem to care about the satellite install and expect you to climb frm the roof or attic covered in insulation to do a sales demo it’s a constant complaint about not enough sales
Pros
Satellite install is interesting
Cons
Constantly demanding sales
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your review. We hate to hear you had a negative experience. You are accurate that sales have become a large part of the technician position. The recruiting team strives it's best to be transparent with this metric, we should have discussed it during the on-boarding process, at the interview and throughout training, we apologize if this was not your experience. A goal of DISH, and thus Southern Star as one of their independent Regional Service Providers, is to offer products to enhance customer’s entertainment experience, we also offer ample commissions for the technicians efforts to meet this metric.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The work is awesome, talking to people is awesome too. It's a pretty laid back job until metrics comes out. If your a top salesman, this may be easy for you but if otherwise good luck. It used to be easy to sell stuff with when you could sale 10 15 bucks worth of stuff and if you didn't reach that goal it wasnt a big deal. Now a days you have to hit 34 dollars a work order and if you dont then they're looking at firing you. So good luck to the upcoming techs.
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your review. We hate to hear you had a negative experience. You are accurate that sales have become a large part of the technician position. A goal of DISH, and thus Southern Star as one of their independent Regional Service Providers, is to offer products to enhance customer’s entertainment experience. As DISH raises their metric expectations Southern Star has to comply as part of our contract with DISH. We also offer ample commissions for the technicians efforts to meet this metric.
Excellent company to work for all management stands behind any decisions that need to be made within the company excellent work-life balance I would definitely recommend this company to be one if you want to endeavor into a new type of career.
May 27, 2020
A few things I wish wasn't pushed so much.
Wish that metrics we're explained better per each level of tech advancement, other than that a great place to work that genuinely cares about their techs safety and well-being.
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your response! We are proud of you and all our valued team members crushing it in the field! You should have received a document detailing the technician career path from recruiting during your on-boarding process. If you would like another copy please reach out to recruiting@ssidish.com and we can send you another.
Certainly not for everyone but it's a fun fast pace job and every job is different. Positive atmosphere at technician level but high pressure. Pressure can make a diamond or bust a pipe, it all depends on maintaining a positive attitude.
May 27, 2020
Thank you for this feedback! We are proud to have a diamond like you on the team!
The job can be a little hectic at times during the summer months. If you're not used to working in some uncomfortable conditions, this isn't the line of work for you. You have plenty of opportunities to make extra money, and you get to meet a lot of unique people. Management is hit or miss, but they'll always be happy to answer any question you have for them, and be ready to help you solve any problems the best they can.
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We agree and try to be as transparent as possible that this position can have many challenges and is not a great fit for everyone. We are proud to have you on the team!
Working during this pandemic should give us hazard pay, and then some given we can get the virus and not know it, and give it to our family members and elderly. We as techs are putting our lives on the line and our families lives.
May 27, 2020
This has been a trying and unprecedented time for SSI. We are extremely grateful we have been classified as an essential service allowing us to stay productive and provide for our employees and their families. We sincerely appreciate all the SSI Team. It has been a very uncertain time and we are so proud of everyone who has risen to the occasion. We not only thank the employees but this "Thank you" is also extended to the families who support our team members in their mission.
A easy job to learn. You must have a open mind. Must have a personality that love to learn. You cant get frustrated, have to learn how to communicate with your customers.
May 27, 2020
Southern Star inc. is a great place to work with great level advancement and opportunities for broading your horizons in directions other than just Dish tv services
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We strive our best to provide our team with a rich and rewarding career path! We are proud to have you on the team!
I like what I do everyone is very helpful. Everyone is juts a call away and you get to meet to some very cool people southern starbisba good way to make a living
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your Feedback, we are proud to have you on the team!
Good job opportunity with bonus and commision opportunities. The actual work itself isn't very hard labor, just requires understanding and patience. Although there is some pressure as far as sales.
May 27, 2020
A typical day in the job consist of about 1hr to 3hrs of drive time depending on where you live. Meet different people every day. I've learned a lot about people skills and how to present myself. And anything that I needed help with my manager team was ready to assist me in making my job east.
May 27, 2020
Only complaints I would have is lack of equipment for how many jobs they give and where they route me, sometimes not even near where I live makes me get home way later than I should
May 27, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We agree and try to be as transparent as possible that this position can have many challenges and is not a great fit for everyone. We understand equipment issues can be challenging, we try our best to forecast equipment needs, but as you know every day is different making it difficult to accurately predict needs. Southern Star is committed to continuous improvement with this obstacle and will continue to work through these issues. We are proud to have you on the team!
The priority of the company is more about jamming items down customers throats instead of making sure the system works properly. As long as you can sell products to every person you come into contact with, no matter if you do a terrible install, you will be able to keep your job
Pros
Commission....kinda
February 24, 2020
Thank you for your review. We hate to hear you had a negative experience. You are accurate that sales have become a large part of the technician position. A goal of DISH, and thus Southern Star as one of their independent Regional Service Providers, is to offer products to enhance customer’s entertainment experience, we also offer ample commissions for the technicians efforts to meet this metric.
They expect you to preform at a high level but yet when you don't get paid for the work you've done kinda feels like a company who lies and says they will do this and that and they wanna retain employees but yet the actions of management says the opposite
February 24, 2020
Thank you for your review. We hate to hear you had a negative experience. We do have metrics placed on us by DISH we are responsible for meeting. We try to be up front with the challenges of this position, and advise all applicants that this position is not for everyone. However, we do compensate all of our employees for their time spent working, as well as having a generous bonus structure in place so our productive and successful technicians can earn even more. We also offer commissions on all products sold.
Fast pace
Business Skills

Management, no comments

No Blacks in management

Job not hard when your doing it for a bigger purpose

Most enjoying parted of this job was getting paid while building a plan for the future .

This is the job for you when your seeking to become a business owner, this is the job to train your mind, body, maturity level, and patience to become a business owner.
February 24, 2020
I was screwed out of my job. Was told one thing and when I complied I was laid off. If you can’t sale then don’t apply. You are told upfront that you are a salesman that installs satellite. Compensation for being a trainee sucks. They don’t co-operate with your situations either. I had to drive an hour just to get to work for my training because they put with me with a trainer that worked in another state instead of the one that was in my home town and I was not compensated for the drive. I didn’t care much for that company but others enjoy it.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Star, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6