Southern States Cooperative Employee Reviews

Good
Fertilize applicator (Current Employee) –  Cadiz, KYJuly 18, 2019
Southern states is a good place to work. They give yearly pay increase. It takes awhile to get up to a decent hourly pay. Off season so slow your bored out of your mind. Busy season is so busy that you are running wild and want a little break..
Great local place
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Purcellville, VAJuly 15, 2019
It was a great local place to work with a great starting pay, however, there was a lot of smoking/vaping (even at the front desk) and cursing by nearly every employee which made work difficult.
A good place to work.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Summersville, WVMay 31, 2019
Southern States is a very good place to work if you enjoy hard work. you will be expected to help load peoples cars with packages that regularly way 50lbs. However, Southern States will always be proud time for my work history.
Productive alot overtime
Picker/Loader (Current Employee) –  Troutville, VAMay 18, 2019
Sucks you need to be careful of mistakes if not you will be terminated even though it's fixed before loading but it still goes against you. Be prepared for overtime and cleaning
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Overtime and attention to quality
Great Place for college graduates to start their career
Retail Accounting and Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2019
I worked at Southern States for 17 years. I enjoyed being able to work remotely from my location. I enjoyed working for all the management at Southern States. A great place to work.
Pros
401k and matching at a level, health, life insurance
Cons
I did not have any cons about working for Southern States.
Could be a great place to work
Customer (Former Employee) –  KYApril 12, 2019
Manager at Owensboro,Kentucky location has no clue what he is doing. Extremely under qualified! He has no concept of how to professionally communicate with customers and employees.
Pros
Co workers
Great coworkers poor management
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, VAMarch 28, 2019
Dont work there.Management sucks,long hours,get wrote up all the time so they dont have to give you a raise,no room for advancement,cold in winter hot in the summer
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Everything else
I work hard every day.
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMarch 5, 2019
This is a agricultural company. They supply horse feed,cow feed, fertilizer, seed, deliveries, chemicals, propane, I repair company trucks, and all warehouses duties.
Professional & Team work environment
Maintenance Manager/Technician (Former Employee) –  Flowery Branch, GAMarch 2, 2019
My work here was very enjoyable. Everyone worked together & helped each other to do what was needed to be done with respect for each other. Management was very interactive with the employee's & communication was very well done between all who worked there. I didn't want to leave, but at the time the company was going in a direction that didn't have much plans for our division & at my age I felt I needed to seek employment somewhere that was stronger secured in there business before I got any older, which would lessen my chances for employment. In 2018 the company did sale some of our mills & completely got someone else to run the division while they got a small margin of the profits earned.
Pros
Work environment & professionalism
Cons
Company paid benefits
Overall , a good experience , while I was there.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 27, 2019
Good company to work for. Fast paced work environment during busy season (January through May.) Typical day consisted of updating time cards, billing truck shipments, meeting with contractors, environmental reports , and customer service. This was a terminal site job, no meeting with the general public.
Pros
good employees to work with.
Cons
I cannot think of any.
Great work life balance, you feel like everyone is part of your family
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2019
I love the great work life balance, flexible schedules. Management wants to succeed and will work with you to make it happen. Not a lot of turnover within the SSC Corporate Office.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Salary, Living Health Programs, Employee Engagement Program
Place is a joke. Management powertrips. Cat urine. Rats
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, VAFebruary 14, 2019
You’ll most likely go in through a staffing company, and have an interview with some balding haired manager who uses hair gel to morph his insecurities. He’ll promise you around 14/hr once hired on through the company, but that’s not true, and you’ll start off at 12/hr, don’t even think about bringing up your “promised raise” even after youve worked their as a temp for longer than the promised “3 months”, or they’ll threaten to fire you. Management is a joke, the lead takes his job too seriously, and power trips like he is so important. They stack pallets of dog food on top of one of another 3 layers high....OSHA would shut that place down so fast. The turn around rate is ridiculous. You work 12-14 hour shifts with 2 ten minute breaks, 1 30 minute lunch. They have cats running around urinating on everything, and a huge rat infestation. Warehouse is old, dusty, hard to breath in. I got fired because I parked in someone else’s space even though the warehouse lead told me to, and then lied about it when I told the main manager. Ive seen multiple people get hurt on the job, and management tells them to walk it off. The employees I worked with hated the management there. It’s gotten to the point where even surrounding establishments know that place is horrible.
Pros
Cons
12-14/hr days w/ 2 10 minute breaks. Cat urine everywhere
nice workers
YARDMAN (Former Employee) –  Clay, KYJanuary 25, 2019
a good work environment, I would still be at this job if the store did not shut down. It was a great place to work the pay was great the insurance was somewhat great.
Productive and balanced work place
Vice President: Senior Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KentuckyJanuary 14, 2019
Southern states is a great place to work, but I am looking for something more challenging, long term. I think that Southern States provides a well rounded environment for a starting place in a management career.
Pros
Flexibility, retirement planning, 401k, benefits
Cons
Not a lot of room for promotion
great customers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 6, 2019
I truly enjoyed the time at SS and working with the customers and employees, I enjoy working with plants and showing the customers the proper plants that would work in their yard.
Pros
free pizza
Cons
Was a great company to work for in the past...
IT (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 27, 2018
The cooperative was a great company to work for in the past, but the past several years have been financially challenging. Management doesn't seem to have a handle on how to improve the situation other than sell off/divest subsidiaries and divisions, and decrease the workforce by eliminating jobs towards the end of most fiscal years. Those who get kicked out tend to be long-term employees.
Pros
Most co-workers are friendly and helpful
Cons
Upper management, company instability
Being able to assist others
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2018
I was able to assist the different facilities on what to identify to be able to not make any mistakes. This process would help a claim to be filed, billed, and paid timely.
Pros
free medical benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great company but could pay a bit better
Mech. Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, GANovember 29, 2018
Coming strictly from someone who is upstairs (not a factory worker) I and some of my colleagues don't feel like we are adequately paid for the hours we put in the only reason we are staying is because overtime is plentiful and it keeps our heads above water.
Pros
everything I love this company and my position aswell as the people i work with
Cons
Pay; my only gripe
Southern States had a good work environment and management was fair to the employees. The pay scale was below my needs.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Johnston, SCNovember 15, 2018
My typical work day included loading and unloading materials that I transported from facility. I also worked in customer service helping those to choose the correct supplies for their home and farm projects. I worked and enjoyed working in close proximity to the management staff. The hardest part of the job was the continuous lifting of materials. What I found most enjoyable about my position at Southern States was the people I worked with and interaction with the customers.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Working in the elements
Meet nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 11, 2018
You get to interact with nice customers and learn about different animals and what they eat.. Also there a very good restaurant across the street from it called chrome grill. 🤤🤤 delicious
Pros
Discount on farm food
Cons
Heavy lifting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern States Cooperative. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight